The first splitters appeared around the end of the 19th century. Such devices worked for a couple and required human involvement. They were used only in large-scale industries, since their use was unprofitable for people who procure firewood for their own needs. Now you can buy ready wood splitters of various capacities. If desired, you can independently assemble a structure that works on electricity. Such mechanisms are also called hydraulic.
Advantages and disadvantages of electric wood splitters
All electric wood splitters can be divided into the following types:
- Horizontal. In such devices, the log lies in a horizontal direction. After that, a cleaver is introduced into the wood, which breaks the log into several pieces.
- Vertical wood splitters. Such mechanisms practically do not differ from horizontal ones. The only difference is that the log is vertically. It is worth noting that the quality of work of this type of devices is higher, but they have a higher cost.
Both types of mechanisms may have different designs. For example, many vertical wood splitters are a mechanism with a small platform for installing a log and an element on top that splits the wood after pressing the lever. Other devices have a pricking element that works automatically and lowers to a log after a specified period of time. Such models are less secure.
Before purchasing a wood splitter, you should familiarize yourself with the advantages and disadvantages of such devices. The advantages include:
- No need to use gasoline, diesel or diesel. That is why many owners of suburban areas for the procurement of firewood acquire electrical mechanisms.
- Relatively low cost, if we compare the described wood splitters with models that run on burned fuel.
- Ability to assemble an electrical device with your own hands If desired, you can create a simple and effective design of the materials at hand. For example, many use the engine from an old car for this.
- No need for maintenance. When using the device, it is not necessary to lubricate its components and replace the fuel.
- The absence of any waste that appears during use.
But the described type of wood splitters also has disadvantages. These include the need to connect to a three-phase network of 320 volts. This means that the electrical system on the site will have to be upgraded. If desired, you can find devices that operate on 220 volts.
Also a disadvantage is the need for a nearby electrical network. If diesel models can be used on any site and far from home, then electrical ones are used only a short distance from the electrical grid. In addition, on some models of electrical devices it is difficult to replace the engine, since such units are not common in Russia.
When purchasing a wood splitter, it should be remembered that even the most powerful household appliances are not intended for industrial logging.
If a horizontal splitter is used to split logs, they must be raised. Vertical machines do not require lifting logs. It is worth noting that wood splitters are divided according to the volume of firewood that they can chop. Also, the separation occurs in the width and length of the wood.
Many models are designed for chopping wood no more than 50 cm in height and 30 cm in diameter. Industrial electric wood splitters are able to cope with logs about 120 cm long and about 70 cm in diameter.
Before choosing a particular device, it is important to determine exactly what it will be used for. If you need a wood splitter for harvesting a small amount of wood, you should look at the cheapest models. In the case when it will be used every year for harvesting firewood for the winter, it is necessary to choose a device with a vertical bed and a sturdy machine.
The standard cutting force of the wood splitters described is from 5 to 10 tons, if they are intended for domestic use. Models used in production, have the power of cutting from 10 to 30 tons. The standard engine power of the mechanism used in everyday life varies from 2 to 10 kW. In addition, during the selection should pay attention to the presence of wheels.
Industrial electric wood splitters
A feature of industrial drovokolnye stations is the ability to harvest a large amount of firewood in a short period of time. Such stations not only divide the log into separate logs, but also cut it.
They are rarely purchased for domestic use, as they have a high cost. Such stations can have various sizes. If necessary, a large number of nozzles are installed on them, which allow splitting logs of various diameters. At the same time during operation, you can choose the desired length of wood.
Features of household electric wood splitters
If you are going to purchase simple electric wood splitters with a capacity of about 3 kW, it is worth remembering that they are quite slow. At the same time during the use of such devices it is necessary to constantly turn the chopped chocks so that they split into logs of the same size.
Such devices should be acquired in the case when a person does not want or is not able to spend energy on chopping wood with the help of a cleaver. If you want to quickly deal with a large number of logs, it is worth buying more powerful and expensive wood splitters.
So that during the use of a wood splitter there are no problems, you should heed the advice of people who have extensive experience with such devices:
- If the cleaver is made on the basis of an electric motor, it is necessary to consider the power of the device. This figure should be from 3 kW.
- If the power of the mechanism is good, the engine can quickly set in motion a hydraulic axle, unwinding the cone. Due to this, chopping chocks will occur quickly and easily. That is why it is important to consider the power of the purchased mechanism.
- When working with a wood splitter, you must follow the safety rules. For example, while working with a cone mechanism, it is not necessary to work in gloves, which can wrap around on it in contact. It is also important to closely monitor each movement, as the knives splitting logs on the logs are quite sharp.
- A cleaver should install a protective tool that will prevent an unexpected start of the mechanism.
Having considered various types of wood splitters, you can assemble your own mechanism with your own hands. This will save a lot of money. Also, thanks to such mechanisms, you can easily procure firewood almost without effort.
Having made an electrovolok with your own hands, you need to check its working capacity and make sure that it is safe for the one who will use it.