Many owners of country houses, as well as those people who live in rural areas, prefer to earn a living by raising valuable chickens, such as broilers. This option of earning is, indeed, not bad because meat and chicken eggs are products that are always necessary in any home and in any kitchen. Thanks to such work, you will be able to provide your family with not only finances, but also with those products that you grow at home. However, to be frank, this type of work brings with it difficulties that you will encounter. The first difficulty you may encounter is that you will need to decide on the breed of chickens. The second of these difficulties may be the construction of a chicken coop. Why is it difficult? Because this premise is made primarily for living beings, but in order for them to grow and develop normally, it is necessary to properly equip their home.
Most people prefer to grow no more than 50 chickens, respectively, need to build a chicken coop, which can easily accommodate a given number of chickens. However, how to build a chicken coop with your own hands on 50 chickens? First you need to decide on the type of the chicken coop, whether it will be a small but compact chicken coop or it will be a chicken coop with wide and spacious rooms. Although this article will not provide drawings that you could use to build a chicken coop, however, you will be able to read tips that will help you get the job done properly and in compliance with all the necessary requirements.
Competent calculation of the design of the chicken coop
In order to get eggs and meat in the chicken coop, it is necessary to create favorable conditions to facilitate this process. Qualitatively and competently made chicken coop plays an important role in this. Such a chicken coop serves as a shelter for them from cold winters, hot summer days, predatory animals, as well as a canteen and a house at the same time. During the construction of the chicken coop should consider all these points.
In order to make a chicken coop for the chickens with their own hands, you must follow simple instructions. Remember that the correct chicken coop includes not only a place to sleep and feed, but also an area where chickens can walk. A significant drawback of such a large number of chickens in the territory of their home is an unpleasant smell, which is released from the stool of these birds. Therefore, you need to pre-determine the place to build a chicken coop.
Tip! Build a chicken coop away from the living quarters or behind them, so you can avoid the formation of an unpleasant smell in places where it will be particularly felt.
Decide in advance on the size. When planning a place for a chicken coop, please note that 5-7 hens require an area of at least one square meter. If you are still determined to build a chicken coop for 50 chickens, then the area you need to allocate for it will be 10 square meters. For example, a chicken coop can have such dimensions - 4 m by 2.5 m. However, if you plan to grow individuals of several breeds, for example, broilers, then it is worth considering that for these birds one square meter for 5-7 hens may not be enough.
In the photo below, you can see a chicken coop project for 50 chickens.
Due to the variety of building materials you may be interested in, which ones you need to build your own chicken coop. Also, a very important point is that the materials should not be very expensive because the coop deserves less attention than facilities such as a house or a garage. Be attentive to what you read below and then you will be able to save a lot of money on building a chicken coop. Since every beginner in this business would like to build a chicken coop, without investing a lot of money.
First of all, you should take time to decide on the type of materials from which the walls will be built. For example, you can use the following materials:
- cinder blocks
- wood (lumber);
Such materials are easy to buy at an affordable price, however, the materials listed above are not the only ones, because there are others that differ in price, durability, strength, frost resistance and many others. Many owners of dachas prefer to build a chicken coop with bricks, however, this building material has one major drawback - it is not able to retain heat. Because of this phenomenon, the coop will freeze through during the winter period, which can cause the birds to get sick and die. That is why a reasonable solution would be to make a chicken coop out of wood, for example, from logs or another sustainable material.
Regardless of what material you choose for the construction of the walls of the chicken coop, you will need additional components, without which the construction can not be completely completed. These are materials such as:
- Boards, plywood.
- Insulation. Expanded clay.
- Wooden beams.
- Iron mesh.
- Roofing materials.
In addition to the materials listed above, you need to stock up with the necessary tools, such as level, trowel, tape measure, hammer, nails, and so on. And also remember that you need to make a scheme according to which the work will be carried out, so you can prevent reworking the work. And most importantly, the fact that you can make a chicken coop in the shortest possible time.
- According to a pre-made drawing, you need to perform markup. To do this, you need to drive pegs or reinforcement at each corner of the building. After that, you need to stretch the line around the perimeter and check the diagonals, such work is done with the help of a tape measure. After you have rechecked the markup and made sure that the diagonals and the corners are even, you must alternately drive the pegs into the ground, one meter apart. These will be the future pillars of the foundation.
- The next step will be digging holes half a meter wide by half a meter and the same depth of half a meter. The holes must be dug in the places where the pegs were placed. Be careful to maintain the distance between the grooves, and also ensure that the pits are parallel to each other.
- At the bottom of the pits it is necessary to make a pillow by making sand. After that, you need to make a solution of cement, gravel, water and sand. Pits need to fill up to ground level. After 2-3 days have passed and the solution has dried, it is necessary to build up the columns to a height of 20-30 cm with the help of bricks or other building materials. Use the level during building up the columns, so you can avoid irregularities.
- Cover the foundation with ruberoid. If the ruberoid is thin, then fold it in half. The next step is to install the first crown. In order for the material in the corner joints to be more durable, it is necessary to cut in half the thickness of the timber.
- Installation of genital lags. A bar section of 150 by 100 mm is installed on the edge, while maintaining a distance of one meter. For convenience, further use and cleaning of the floor can be installed under the slope. Further, on the fixed lags it is necessary to lay a rough floor of the boards. On these boards you need to fill the waterproofing layer of the film and fill the bars with a section of 100 by 100 mm, keeping a distance of 70-80 mm. Later, the gaps between the beams must be sealed with insulation, and on top of them fill a wooden floor.
- The walls of the coop of this type are stacked in the thorn-groove method. All joints should be packed with high quality linen or other insulation. Remember that the minimum height of the walls should be 190 cm. And after the walling is finished, trim the walls with lime, which will serve as an antiseptic. And already after all the work listed above was completed, you can take up the warming.
- For the manufacture of the attic, use beams and boards. After the ceiling is sewn up, it must be insulated, this work can be done with expanded clay. It is best to do a gable roof for a chicken coop, so you will have extra space for food and other supplies.
- Consider carefully what kind of fence you want to make for chickens so that it does not take away much space with its dimensions, and is convenient for walking and feeding chickens. If you grow broiler chickens, remember that they need constant walking. A big chicken coop will be convenient not only for the chickens, but also for the owners themselves, since they can easily turn around in them.
Chicken coop for 50 chickens photo:
As for the interior of the chicken coop, here you can do everything, as you will be most comfortable, however, remember that you should take care that broilers have such devices as feeders, nests, drinking bowls and small poles, where they can spend the night. Place the poles on different walls and levels, so the birds will not throw droppings on each other. Nests can be made from ordinary crates, inside covered with hay. For 50 chickens only 10-15 nests will suffice. In addition, not all chickens will rush, because in the chicken coop there will be roosters who are raised exclusively for meat.
A chicken coop for 50 hens is done quite simply with its own hands. The main thing is to decide on the materials from which it will be built. After all, the materials should be not only cheap, but also reliable, as well as suitable for the birds that will live in it. We are confident that if you comply with all the requirements listed above, you will be able to make this building as quickly as possible, efficiently and, most importantly, comfortable for its inhabitants. Now you only need to decide on the breed of birds, buy food and start making money on it. With proper care for these animals, you will have a good income, which we wish you.