If rats get into the coop, they will cause irreparable damage to it. Rodents drag eggs, choke chickens, scare chickens. But the main danger is that they are carriers of dangerous infections. Knowing how to get rid of rats in a chicken coop can fix this problem permanently.
The difficulty of dealing with rats in the chicken coop is also in the fact that not all means can be used in it. Traps and poison are dangerous for chickens, so you need to choose methods that are effective against rats and harmless to birds and other domestic animals.
Signs of rodents
The presence of rats can be determined by some characteristic features:
- traces laid on the dusty floor along which the routes of their movement pass;
- the presence of rat droppings;
- teeth marks - they gnaw everything that comes their way;
- the appearance of ammonia odor;
- the emergence of small holes at the junction of the walls and the foundation;
- pieces of eggshell.
Coop - freedom for rodents. There is always something to profit rats:
- bird food is often stored in the hen house;
- animals smother chicks and even attack young chickens;
- they also carry eggs.
There is an interesting legend about how rats steal eggs from a hen house - clutching an egg with all four paws, the rodent lies on its back, and the second rat drags her by the tail into the hole. Despite the intelligence and ingenuity of these animals, this theory does not yet have actual confirmation, except for the images on artistic canvases. Most likely, the rat pushes the egg in front of him into the shelter, and there gnaws it and eats the contents.
Building a chicken coop
The appearance of rats in the hen house should be foreseen during its construction. Rodents are able to get into the room through small cracks in the basement or roof. Therefore, the base of the chicken coop must be deep; you must plan in advance places for laying baits that are inaccessible to birds. The floor is covered with a mixture of broken glass and rubble, which will prevent rats from visiting. Before settling the premises with birds, it is fumigated with sulfur.
If traces of rats in a chicken coop are noticed, it is urgent to get rid of them. To do this, there are many popular ways, time-tested.
An old remedy against these animals is ash. It should be scattered on the floor in the coop from the calculation - one bucket of ash per several square meters of space. Sticking to the paws and hair of rodents, the ash will irritate them due to the alkalis contained in it. When licking it from the paws, the ash enters the stomach of animals, causing ulcers on the gastric mucosa. Rodents quickly leave this place.Important! Ash at the same time helps rid chickens from fleas.
Lime and gypsum against rats in the hen house
Lime, flour and sugar are mixed in equal amounts and laid out in secluded places. Near put a container of water. Rodents eat this treat with pleasure and get burns of the mucous membrane from the effects of lime.
An effective tool is a mixture of gypsum and flour in a 1: 1 ratio. Next to it you need to put a bowl of water. Once in the rodent's stomach, the mixture will harden and cause the death of the pest.
In a chicken coop, a barrel is placed, filled to the middle with water, and pieces of meat, cheese or fat are thrown into it. Next to the barrel they construct a kind of a ladder from old boxes, so that rodents can easily climb on it. In the morning, all the "night visitors" will be in the barrel.
The following method helps to get rid of rats in the chicken coop for at least a year. Pour dead carcass rat alcohol or kerosene and set on fire. Placing it on a shovel, it is necessary to bypass the chicken coop, fumigating the whole room. Pests will bypass this smell side.
A simple and affordable way to cope with rats in the hen house is vodka. Crumble bread crumbs into it, it is necessary to pour in a saucer and put inside a box with holes. Usually, a few days of using the product is enough for the rats in the henhouse to disappear.
In the fight against rats in the hen house, many homeowners use poisonous plants. It must be remembered that some of them can harm and chickens, so you need to lay them out carefully.
- Seeds of a tropical plant chilibukha contain poisonous alkaloids. Mixing them with sugar and raisins, you need to rub the stearin into this mass and spread it out at the corners of the chicken coop, and scatter the boiled beans around. The tool allows for several days to remove the problem with rats.
- In the summer months the autumn crocus blossoms. All its parts are very poisonous. For preparation of 200 grams of means only 10 grams of a plant are required. Finely chopped, it is mixed with seeds or grits and scattered in the corners of the room. The smell will be more pronounced if the seeds are roasted. You can pour the tool directly into the holes and holes.
- Rats can not stand the smell of bird cherry, peppermint or broom. It is possible to use pharmacy essential oil instead of natural mint. After wetting a cloth in it, it is enough to put it in the rodent's hole.
- Many spread out from rats in the hen house in all corners of the branches of black or red elderberry, the smell of which the animals can not stand. You can also plant elderberry bushes around. The plant contains prussic acid, rodent frightening.
- In the fight against rats in the poultry-house, a burr or a rat-rat planted around him, in a different way, Black Root can be used. Their spines firmly cling to the rodents' hair, so they try to stay away from these plants.
Rats do not tolerate and smells of various chemicals. They will be scared away:
- a rag dipped in kerosene or turpentine;
- sawdust mixed with naphthalene;
- Acetylene smell when water is added to calcium carbide.
Cats are good helpers in the fight against rats. Of course, not everyone is able to cope with them. It is necessary to choose the cat-rat catcher breed. However, even the presence of the cat and its smell will scare away the rats in the hen house.
Some breeds of dogs such as dachshunds and fox terriers are excellent helpers in the fight against rodents. They stifle the animals and put a bunch.
Many experienced poultry keepers are kept in a henhouse with chickens and geese. They have a very keen sleep, allowing them to react to any rustling. With the appearance of night guests, they make a noise, driving away the pests. If necessary, geese can even engage in a fight with rats in a hen house and defeat them.
To scare away rats in a hen house, it’s good to keep them together with turkeys. At any rustle they will make a noise, warning about uninvited aliens.
One of the main enemies of rats is a hedgehog. If you lure him into the chicken coop, there will be no problems with rodents.
A simple rat trap is easy to prepare on your own:
- a piece of cheese is attached to the bottom of the glass;
- the glass is placed upside down on the edge of the coin;
- rat crawls under the glass for cheese;
- at this moment he will jump off the coin and the rodent will be trapped.
There is another homemade trap safe for chickens:
- bottle of vegetable oil should be poured into the bottle and shaken to lubricate its walls with oil;
- slightly expand the neck so that the rodent could climb there;
- put a cheese or a piece of meat in as bait.
The rat will sneak into the bottle and, sliding along the walls, will not be able to get out.
If ordinary traps or live traps are set up against rats in a hen house, then it is necessary to make sure that they are safe for the inhabitants of the hen house. The traps are placed in a special box with small holes on the sides. Through them, the rodents penetrate the box and fall into the trap. Now trade offers a variety of containers in which you can place traps and bait. However, due to the high cost, they are not popular.
Using traps, it should also be borne in mind that rats in the henhouse often manage to pull out the bait and not get caught in the trap.
Today on the market there is a large selection of devices that generate ultrasonic waves. The human ear does not perceive them, and in rats in the hen-house it causes panic.
Exposure to ultrasound turns rodents to flight. Trade offers two types of such devices:
- low-powered, battery-powered, have a small radius of action - they are inefficient in the volume of the chicken coop;
- powerful scarers that operate from the electrical network, suitable for overall premises.
It is important to choose the right device. He should have different schemes of work and the ability to adjust the sound power. The device operates only in that part of the space where the sound waves are directed; there should be no obstacles in their path. For chickens, the device is harmless, but a person cannot stay in the area of the device for a long time.
If it is planned to use poison to kill the rats in the hen house, it is best to transfer the hens to another room at this time. After cleaning the coop and its disinfection, you can return the birds back.
Having gotten rid of the rats in the hen house, further preventive measures should be taken so that the rodents no longer disturb the presence of poultry.