Astra pomponnaya - one of the types of garden asters. According to the new classification of plants, they are referred to the genus Kallistefus of the Astrovye family. The correct name sounds like "Callistephus Chinese." This is a one-year or two-year culture, the place of growth is Eurasian countries, the initial appearance is in China. More than two hundred varieties of such asters, bred before the beginning of 2018, differ from each other in the height of the bushes, the structure and shape of the flowers, as well as the iridescent color of the petals. Astra pompon can be identified by a peculiarly shaped flower - it is a hemisphere of densely growing petals gathered into a rosette, in appearance resembling a pompom of a children's cap.
All plants consist of the same parts: roots, stems, leaves, flowers and fruits. The botanical description of the colors allows us to find out what distinctive shapes, sizes and colors each part of the culture is characterized by. Astra pomponnaya also has its varietal characteristics:
- The roots of pompon asters are widely branched, fibrous, superficial, the depth is no more than 25 cm, and can be quickly restored after damage.
- Stems are erect, strong, have longitudinal grooves, covered with fine small hairs, their color is light green or pinkish (depends on the variety). The height of the plant varies from 20 to 90 cm, on the stalk a lot of shoots are formed, which is why the bush becomes thick and lush.
- The leaves of the aster of a pompon dark green saturated color, small leaves are located in the upper part of the stem, large - closer to the ground.
- Flowers are basket inflorescences, on the outer circle of which in several tiers are located petals in the form of tongues, the inner circumference is filled with thin petals, tubes that stand straight, tightly pressed to each other. The color of flowers determines the varietal affiliation; in some cases, mixes of the same variety are created, but of a wide variety of colors. Their diameter is from 4 to 8 centimeters.
- The fruit of a pompon aster is a cone-shaped seed pod that stores seeds of different sizes, it depends on the variety of asters.
- Culture propagates, as all annual plants are only seeds.
In the fall, the seed pods open, the seeds fall into the ground, hibernate beautifully and spring to germinate again. In this case, the bloom of aster pompon is early, you only need to thin out the bushes sometimes.
If the rose is called the queen of the garden, then Astra Pomponnaya is a little princess who loves to dress up in a variety of "dresses." The color of her clothes is similar to a rainbow of colors, including many shades of primary colors. We offer you a photo and description of some varieties of aster pompon.
Coloring - the extreme petals, tubules of asters of the pompon are painted in light burgundy color, in the center they are white. Petals grow thickly, each of them is revealed in the form of pyatidolnyh bells, from this cap of the flower seems even more lush.
The height of the compact bush of aster reaches 60 cm, on straight, slightly leafy stems, a lot of peduncles are formed. During the season, about 25 ovaries are formed, for their continuous formation, it is necessary to remove already wilted ones, so as not to slow down the process of the emergence of new flowers.
The diameter of a single aster flower is up to 8 cm, sometimes larger. The flowering period begins in July and can last until the autumn frosts. Many plants are already preparing for winter at this time, and the Astra pomponnaya Winter Cherry still decorates and enlivens with its view the dull autumn landscape of the garden.
Planting asters in open ground begins in April. Further care is to perform the usual work: loosening the soil, removing weeds, watering and feeding. Do not forget also about timely cutting of old dried inflorescences.
Flowers of aster Winter cherry is used for cutting and drawing up autumn bouquets. In the photo you see a typical copy of this variety of asters.
The color of the flower is yellow, but not monochrome. Reed petals of aster pompon on the edges are pale yellow, closer to the center, turning into petals-tubules, become rich yellow, almost orange in the center. Reed petals are located in several tiers.
The height of the aster pompon yellow is 40-55 cm, the size of the flowers is small (up to 4 cm in diameter), the branching of the stems is average. During the growing season shrub forms up to 35 inflorescences. The beginning of flowering - July, duration - until frost. Landing is timed to the middle or end of May. Grown from seed.
Flowers such asters are good for cutting to compose monochromatic bouquets or design compositions in combination with other representatives of the flower world.
White delicate flowers adorn the bushes of asters of this variety. It is believed that he was named so in honor of all the beloved English princess. They are simple and charming as the most famous woman in the world.
The shrub of the plant reaches 80 cm in height, strongly branched, the leaves grow thickly, creating additional volume. Aster flowers are pompon-shaped, multi-tiered petals at the edges are white, in the center - slightly touched by yellowness.
The diameter of flowers like asters 11 cm, one bush is capable of forming up to 27 flower ovaries per flowering season. For seedlings sown in March or April. Aster blooms in early June, the flowering period lasts a long time, until the end of October.
Aster flowers of the Pompom Princess Diana are used to decorate the middle tier of flower arrangements in a garden landscape. Bouquets of cut white flowers asters can be used to decorate wedding processions and banquet halls. By their coloring they maintain the main color of the wedding - pure white immaculate.
From the photo located at the bottom of this paragraph, you can determine that several varieties of princess varieties of asters are collected in a mix. Seed growers often offer such fees, calling the mix different names, but the essence is the same - growers receive many colors of different shades. Some consider it appropriate, because in the area (flowerbed), you can grow plants of different colors at the same time and not bother with a separate planting, others love the monochrome of flower beds.
This is a matter of taste, but taste does not argue. Using the example of this variety of aster pompon, we will talk about how to grow seedlings of flowers from seeds and when it is better to sow and plant in the ground. In the video at the bottom of the page, an experienced amateur grower gives practical advice on this topic. We advise you to watch and listen to what she recommends. Maybe you will learn something new for yourself and take note of it.
Growing from seed
Flower growers, constantly growing asters in their garden, use the method of sowing itself, when the plant independently drops seeds in the autumn, and in spring they germinate again and again. For those who first decided to plant pompon asters, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the order of their reproduction by the seed method.
Sowing on seedlings
Plants of the Astrovye family have a long growing season before flowering. To ensure that asters in the garden bloom earlier, which means - bloom longer, you can, if you have already planted seedlings in early spring. Sowing of aster seeds in this case begins as early as January or February (at room temperature). Seedlings will be ready for transplanting in the ground in May-April. Should proceed as follows:
- Preparation of aster pompon seeds. Aster seeds are medium sized and easy to work with when sowing. Soak them in 100 ml of salt water (1 tsp.) For 2 hours. Flush out substandard seeds, rinse the settled ones on the bottom with clean water and soak again for 30 minutes in a solution of potassium permanganate (concentration is slightly pink). Put the seeds on a wet germination cloth. After 2-3 days, when the seeds sprout from the seeds, you can plant them in an earthen substrate.
- Preparation of pompon aster substrate. The easiest way for this process is to buy ready-made mixture in the store, but if there is no such possibility, prepare the desired composition yourself: 1 part of coarse sand, 1 part of light loose humus, 2 parts of vegetable fertile land. Mix all components, put a layer of drainage material at the bottom of the container (see photo): pebbles, small pebbles, broken bricks, pour the substrate on top, leaving 2 cm to the edge of the container.
- Sprouted aster seeds spread over the entire surface of the earth. Use for this a small tweezers and a ruler, so that the distance between the shoots was the same (5x5 cm). Cover the top with a thin (1 cm) layer of the same substrate. Lightly seal the ground and gently pour in warm water.
- Cover the container with film or glass, put in a warm place. When sprouting and first aspen seed leaves appear, transfer the container to a more lighted place, or add light to the same place, the shelter can be removed. Air temperature should not be lower than + 25 ° С. If you keep a distance when sowing seeds, then a pick is not required. Before planting in open ground seedlings will be enough free space.
- Aster pompon seedlings are planted as warm spring days come, it depends on the climatic conditions of your region.
Buying seed from the manufacturer or in the free market, pay attention to it. The number of germinating seeds falls in proportion to the increase in shelf life.
Sowing in the ground
In the southern regions, it is possible to sow aster pompon seeds directly into the soil in early spring or before winter. When sowing in winter, seeds should be dry so as not to germinate ahead of time. In the spring, planted seeds must be shed with water with the addition of chemical growth accelerators.
In the future, both winter and spring plantings of aster pompon need to be thinned and leveled, leaving no voids in the flowerbed. In places where the plant has given dense shoots, carefully remove excess, plant them in the formed voids, where the seeds have not ascended at all.
Asterisk in your garden
Translated from Greek, aster is a star. Asters pompons on your flower beds will long illuminate the entire territory of the garden with their bright flowering views. At any point, these small stars will complement and decorate the landscape, create a festive mood even on dull autumn days, warm the soul, fill it with a feeling of love for the world around you.
These gentle “pompons” will remind you of children and grandchildren growing up in your family, take care of them, and they also say that those who love flowers live happily and happily. Be happy, plant flowers on your joy and for the pleasure of others. Taking care of the plants you, above all, care about your health.