The name of the varieties of black currant Yadrenaya everyone will say about his. For some, this will be a characteristic of an unforgettable size; after tasting its berries, someone will associate with taste, but in any case, it will not work just to go past this type of currant. It literally attracts and the size of its berries, and their abundance on the bushes, and the same size of them, however, provided proper care and pruning.
A full description of the varieties of black currant Yadrenaya with photos and reviews of those who grew it, you can find further in this article. Both the advantages and disadvantages of Currant Yadrenaya will not be overlooked, so that you can finally decide whether this variety is suitable for your site or not.
Grade of black currant Yadrenaya received a start in life in the department of mountain gardening Research Institute of Horticulture of Siberia. Lysavenka, located in Barnaul. The author is a breeder of this variety Zabelina L.N. She took a hybrid obtained from crossing currant varieties Börbtorp and Dovinka and, in turn, crossed it with Currant Favorite Altai.
All this happened in the difficult 90 years of the last century, and only in 2000, the black currant Yadrenaya was included in the State Register of breeding achievements of Russia. The variety is recommended for cultivation in the Volga-Vyatka and West Siberian regions, but due to its attractive characteristics, it quickly won the hearts of gardeners throughout Russia and is actively grown even in the northern part of Belarus and Ukraine.
Currant bushes varieties Yadrenaya characterized by restrained growth.Comment! Plants are not very scattered to the sides and are characterized by the sparse shape of the bush, which allows the berries to be well illuminated by the sun.
Only 1.5 meters high.
Young growing shoots are of medium thickness, although they can grow quite thick. The color of the cortex is standard green, in some places there is a slight anthocyanic blush. Downiness is weak.
Lignified adult shoots of currants differ from young ones mainly in the color of the bark - from light to dark brown.
The buds are medium in size, apical, rejected, grouped by 1-3 in each node. Their shape is ovate with a pointed tip. Color - bright red, pubescence - weak.
The leaves have a standard five-lobed shape, shiny, leathery, dark green, slightly wrinkled and bubbly. The pubescence on the leaves is absent, the veins are deeply depressed. The main veins have a dark pink hue. The teeth are wide, have an average length, bent. They are clearly visible cream points. Leaf petioles are medium in length and thickness, pink in color, have slight pubescence.
The flowers are medium in size, painted in pale pink color. The brushes are elongated so that they contain from 6 to 12 loosely closed berries.
The stems are thick, long, pubescent, well hold the brush berries on the bushes.
Black Currant Yadrenaya refers to late-ripening varieties by ripening time. Its berries begin to ripen only by the end of July, and in some regions even in August. Fruiting occurs in a fairly short time, which is especially beneficial to farmers for industrial cultivation.
The variety shows good resistance both to frosty winters (capable of transporting up to -30 ° C without shelter, and up to -40 ° C with good snow cover), and to extreme heat and drought, which makes it suitable for growing in many regions.Attention! Currant Yadrenaya differs in self-fertility - it is not required for the normal fruiting of additional pollinators, although, as a rule, several varieties of currant grow in any garden.
The precociousness of this currant also deserves attention - as early as the first year after planting it can yield a crop, but the most abundant in the number of fruits are the branches of the 2nd and 3rd year of fruiting.
The yield of the currant variety Yadrenaya deserves admiration - from one bush you can collect up to 5-6 kg of berries. When grown on an industrial scale, this figure varies between 6 to 12 tons of berries per hectare and depends on agricultural technology, planting density and plant age.
Currant Yadrenaya varieties is also characterized by good resistance to powdery mildew and kidney mites. True, susceptibility to anthracnose is only about 3 points.
Characteristics of berries
Berries of a black currant of a grade Yadrenaya beat all records in size and are considered practically the largest if to consider as comparison of a grade of domestic selection.
- The shape of the berries is rounded, sometimes slightly oblong, as if plum.
- The dimensions of the berries reach 2 cm in length and 1.5 cm in width. Many people confuse the berries of this currant with grapes or cherries.
- The weight of one berry can reach up to 8 g, on average, the weight is 5-7 grams. The berries are usually well aligned in size and weight.
- The flesh is fleshy, the skin is thin, but strong. The berries contain a significant amount of fairly large seeds.
- Fruit color is black, without intense gloss.
- After separation, the berries do not expire juice, and after collecting with brushes, they may not crumble for a long time.
- The currant berries of this variety have an amazing aroma and sweet-sour taste. Estimated tasters tastes are estimated at 4.3 points. Many consider the taste of Berry berries to be frankly sour, but if it is possible to let them hang on the bushes after ripening, do it. And you will be able to appreciate their taste.
- Berries contain: sugars - 9%, ascorbic acid - 96 mg / 100g, dry soluble substances - 8-11%, titrated acidity - 3.7%.
- The use of berries is universal. It is best to freeze them for the winter or grind with sugar to save all the vitamins. But they will also look luxurious in various compotes, jellies, jams, jams, etc.
- Transportability of berries is low. It is better to transport them only for insignificant distances.
Advantages and disadvantages
The variety favorably differs in its advantages, but it also has disadvantages. What will weigh the scales - you decide.
Among the benefits not to mention:
- Giant sizes of berries - one of the largest among all varieties of black currant.
- High yield - however, requires good care and regular pruning.
- Good winter hardiness and excellent tolerance to arid and hot growth conditions.
- Skoroplodnost - gives decent yields in the first years after rooting seedlings.
- Often differs in rather early terms of ripening - it begins to ripen in late June.
- Resistance to diseases that affect many varieties of currants - powdery mildew and kidney mite.
The drawbacks also can not be ignored:
- Many complain about the sour taste of berries. You can’t call them absolutely sour, but, of course, there are currant varieties that are sweeter in taste.
- It is distinguished by the rapid aging of the bushes, the growth may decrease already by 3-4 years and the yield will fall, therefore constant and regular pruning and careful shaping is necessary.
- Low resistance to anthracnose - of course, in humid climatic conditions, this can be a serious disadvantage, as prevention will be required during the whole spring and first half of summer.
- According to some reviews, there is also uneven ripening of berries in the hands and a low one-dimensionality of the berries with very large sizes. But these shortcomings can be the result of mistakes in the care.
Reviews of those who grew Yadrenaya currant on their plots differ in great diversity, apparently, much still depends on the climatic conditions of growth and the characteristics of caring for it.
Igor, 52 years old, Tambov Oblast For many years I have experienced many varieties of currants, because I am engaged in both the sale of berry seedlings and the sale of berries. I consider the variety of black currant Yadrenaya to be the largest of all varieties known to me at the moment. I found it in a reliable source, almost first-hand. After several years of testing, I can say that the variety is very worthy, and it has firmly entered my currant collection. Even in a very dry summer, the berries ripen the size of a five-ruble coin, and not individual specimens, but all in one. It ripens quite late, the taste of berries is quite ordinary - sweet and sour. I have one of the favorite varieties of currants is Pygmy, its berries can be eaten directly from the bush, but in their average size they are much inferior to Yadren. In past years, of course, it was possible to get large berries from it, but they were in single copies, and Yadrenoy berries are distinguished by surprising one-dimensionality. The branches of this variety need a garter because of the abundance of the crop, because they can really break from the severity of the fruits that stuck to them. And on the market it is Yadrenaya leaves the fastest, thanks to the large size of the berries. But this type of currant is of an intensive type, that is, it needs good care to show everything it can do. Alexander, 47, Kemerovo A black variety of Yadrenaya has been growing for several years and is very pleased with how it shows itself. Berry turns out very large, more like grapes, the yield is just excellent, to the mite and powdery mildew shows good stability. True, and will have to patrol around her. I planted shrubs at a distance of 1.5 meters from each other, so that there was enough power for everyone. The earth around the bushes every year is abundantly mulching with a thick layer of organic matter. It retains moisture and serves as an additional fertilizer for currants. The main points of care concern pruning. Since the bushes Yadrenoy belong to the early maturity, they grow old pretty quickly. Therefore, every year the old shoots escaped, I cut out almost everything. I try not to thicken the bushes - I leave no more than 7-8 shoots of different ages on one plant. In this case, the berries all ripen well and the taste is wonderful. Gennady, 51, Kaliningrad Region Tried about 40 grades of currant at different times. Regarding Yadrenoy, I can say that although it differs in really large fruits, the other characteristics of it are clearly not up to par. However, perhaps it shows itself in my specific conditions. After all, it was developed for Siberia, and that’s where it should be grown.
Blackcurrant Yadrenaya can hit any size of its berries, and yield and disease resistance can be attractive to gardeners. But to enjoy all these characteristics in full, you need to make at least some effort.