Traditional human food is hard to imagine without potatoes. From it you can cook a lot of delicious dishes, so almost every gardener grows it on his site. In many countries, the Dutch variety Asterix became popular and popular. This is a universal potato, which has many positive qualities. In order to get a complete picture of it, we will review its description, features, photos and reviews.
Dutch breeders of the private company HZPC B.V. Holland, which is the world leader in the breeding and production of new varieties.
In 1998 it was included in the State Register of Russia. Seed potatoes began to be actively imported into the country and sold. Now it is possible to cultivate Asterix in the Central, Siberian and Far Eastern regions. Not many varieties can be grown in these areas, so it is very much appreciated by gardeners.
Potatoes Asterix is an elite and universal variety that has a late ripening period. From the appearance of the first shoots to the harvest, 105-115 days pass.
The appearance of the bushes
The bushes of this variety are medium-sprawled, upright and tall. The stems are ribbed, can grow up to 80 cm. The leaves are of a saturated green color, they can be both medium-sized and large. The edges are smooth, without denticles and waviness.
On each shrub of Asterix, simple inflorescences are formed. They consist of flowers of red-purple color with a yellow center. Pollination occurs naturally. Berries are not always formed in small quantities, they fall off quickly. But their presence or absence does not affect the size of the crop.
Description of tubers
Potatoes varieties Asterix medium size and oval, slightly elongated shape. The weight of tubers can reach 80-120 g. One plant forms an average of 10 to 12 potatoes. Dense shell pinkish-purple color protects the potato from mechanical damage. On a smooth peel you can see a small number of eyes.
The flesh is tender, bright yellow, has an excellent taste. Asterix, like almost all late varieties, contains a large amount of starch - from 15 to 17%.
In order to have a complete understanding of the potato, we note its main advantages:
- It has a high marketability, from 80 to 90%, which allows you to grow vegetables on an industrial scale.
- During heat treatment and cleaning the flesh does not darken and does not crumble. Mashed potatoes from it turn out gentle and fragrant, and chips - the crackling.
- Brings a good and stable crop.
- During transportation and bumps, the tubers are not crumpled or damaged, as they have a dense skin.
- Potatoes are well stored in cellars at a temperature of 6-7 ° C. It remains elastic, retains its taste and does not decrease in weight.
- The variety tolerates a lack of moisture and dry weather. Therefore, it is suitable for summer residents who rarely visit their garden plots.
- Asterix possesses good immunity to cancer, fomoz, twisting of foliage, golden nematode, late blight of green mass and tubers.
This type of potato belongs to the table, because it can be a decoration for both everyday and festive table. From it you can cook a lot of hearty and beautiful dishes.
Asterix has no significant downsides. Its main enemy is the Y virus, to which the plant is vulnerable. If the potato became infected with it, then, most likely, the planting will die. To prevent this, prevention should be carried out. Young bushes need to be treated with insecticides. Destroying the pests that carry this virus, you can save a vegetable.
Also of the drawbacks can be identified that Asterix potatoes have a high cost and require increased attention.
Yield and ripening time
Asterix has a long ripening period, the growing season is 105-115 days. For personal use, the tubers can be dug a little earlier, but then the harvest will be less.
This is a high-yielding variety. With an average of 17-20 tons of potatoes per hectare. The maximum yield was recorded in Tatarstan, where it was 27 t / ha.
To collect a guaranteed crop, you must comply with the requirements for growing potatoes. This is an agrotechnical moment that needs special attention.
Sowing should be carried out in late April or early May, depending on the climatic conditions.Important! Planting material is planted when the earth has warmed to 7 ° C, and the danger of frost returning has passed.
Selection and processing area
This is a light-loving culture, so planting potatoes should be located in open and sunny places. In the shade of its foliage will turn yellow, the tops will stretch, flowering will be weak, and the harvest is low. If the site is in a valley, grooves should be made around it so that no excess water accumulates on it.
Asterix can grow on any type of soil. In the autumn, the garden must be dug up, removed weeds and rhizomes. The site can not be leveled, and the lumps do not break. In the spring you need to plow the land again. Before this, it is desirable to scatter around the area rotted manure and phosphate-potassium fertilizers. Or bring them later, directly into the wells.
Potatoes varieties Asterix recommended to plant in areas where they grew perennial grasses, flax, various legumes or winter crops.Attention! It is not recommended to apply nitrogen fertilizers to the soil. With an excess of nitrogen planting potatoes may die.
For planting it is better to choose medium-sized tubers, weighing 40-50 g. The more eyes on it, the better the harvest.
A month before planting, the seed potatoes Asterix need to prepare. First they are sorted, healthy tubers are left for planting, and rotted and diseased are discarded. For germination and gardening, the selected potatoes are cleaned in a warm room. To do this, it laid out on the floor or in boxes in 1-2 layers and put on sunlight. Such potatoes are less prone to disease. When the sprouts grow to 5-10 mm, you can start planting.
Important! Planted tubers cannot be eaten, as they contain solanine, which is poisonous. They are ideal for planting.
When planting Dutch Asterix potatoes, you need to adhere to the following recommendations:
- There must be at least 70 cm between the rows. In order for the bushes to be well lit, they are formed from south to north.
- Tubers are planted at a distance of 30-35 cm from each other. So the bushes will be easier to spud.
- If during plowing mineral fertilizers are not made in the soil, 1 tbsp should be filled into each well. l potassium phosphorus mixture. You can also add ash and onion peel there.
- Tubers are recommended to be planted to a depth of 7 to 10 cm.
If the gardener will adhere to these simple recommendations, the potato will meet his expectations.
In the process of growing potatoes, Asterix conducts the following activities:
- Harrowing. It is carried out several times during the growing season. The first - a week after planting tubers. It saturates the soil with air and helps to get rid of weeds.
- Hilling. The first hilling is done after the sprouts grow to 16-20 cm. The second hilling is done in a month. This event increases yields by a third. If late frosts come in spring, shoots are completely covered with soil.
- Mineral top dressing. For this, potato bushes are watered with superphosphate dissolved in water. It develops and strengthens the root system, thereby accelerating the growth of tubers.
- Application of organic fertilizers. Manure is diluted with water in the ratio of 1 to 1. Leave for 15 days. Before watering, the resulting solution is diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 10. After that, the soil is loosened.
- Watering. Potatoes variety Asterix does not require frequent watering. In arid regions, planting is watered three times: after the emergence of sprouts, during the budding period, and after the plant has faded.
If you regularly carry out activities for the care of the plant, at the end of the season you can get a high yield of elite potatoes.
Diseases and pests
Potato varieties Asterix possesses good immunity to cancer, fomoz, foliage twisting, late blight and tuber greens. Also, it is not affected by cyst-forming and golden nematode, which parasitizes the root system of solanaceous crops.
This variety is vulnerable to the Y virus, which is considered the most dangerous for all varieties of potatoes. If a virus infects a plant, then most likely it will die. Therefore, it is recommended to carry out prevention, which is as follows:
- Weeds and plant residues of potatoes remaining after harvesting must be destroyed. They may be infected.
- Shrubs of this variety must be treated with insecticides from aphids and cicadas, as they are carriers of the virus.
- Correct alternation of Asterix plantings with Y-resistant cultures will secure the plot.
Also, the potato can infect the Colorado potato beetle. It can be collected manually or treated landing special preparations for its destruction.
Mikhail, 30 years old, Tver. Last year, Asterix bought potatoes and several other elite varieties of Finnish selection. He distinguished himself from the rest with a pleasant taste and good presentation. Tubers grow large and smooth, but in some of them there may be voids. If the soil is not fertilized, they will be smaller. In rainy years, potatoes can rot. I liked the fact that it is well kept all year. To update seed potatoes I will definitely order it again. Tatiana, 50 years old, Samara A couple of years ago, a neighbor gave a bucket of Asterix potatoes for breeding. It turned out that this is a very tasty and high-yielding variety. Basically all the tubers were large, smooth. They have a red and thick peel. Therefore, sometimes I do not want to be cleaned. Angelina, 26 years old, Ivanovo I decided to try Finnish potatoes, my choice fell on Asterix, and I did not regret. Taste is an amateur, but I liked it. This variety brings a bountiful and high-quality harvest every year, sometimes up to 2 kg of potatoes sometimes come from one bush. Care is minimal. Large tubers can crack, but for me it is not critical.
Variety Asterix is worthy of attention, as it has more positive sides than negative ones. It is recommended to plant it to experienced summer residents and gardeners, as it requires special care. Since potatoes tolerate transportation and can be stored for a long time, it can be grown on an industrial scale. And dishes from it will decorate any table and will delight you with excellent taste and delicate aroma.