Among the new table varieties, the Motley grape is becoming increasingly popular. Description of the variety of photos and reviews from the best side characterize this hybrid form, obtained by the famous Russian breeder at amateur crossbreed of two famous species.
A valuable quality, allowing to expand the geography of growing grapes Piedry, is its early maturation. Harvest can be collected within three and a half months after the appearance of the first leaves.
Motley grapes successfully combined the best characteristics of parental varieties. Shrubs independently pollinated, giving excellent fruiting. They wake up from early spring as soon as the ambient temperature rises to 10 degrees Celsius. With the onset of sap flow, grape buds swell and leaves appear.
With further warming, flower ovaries and fruit buds begin to form. However, despite the high frost resistance, the Motley grape visibly responds to the spring cooling - it can slow down or even completely stop its development.
Hybrid variety Motley gives large clusters of conical shape, sometimes supplemented by another wing. Large fleshy berries differ:
- oval shape;
- juicy, crispy flesh;
- bright nutmeg taste;
- pink with a violet shade;
- high sugar content - up to 25-26%;
- good tasting score - up to 8.8 points.
Features of growing
Description of the variety and photo of the Motley grape indicate that it is unpretentious in care, however, it has some features that should be considered when growing it:
- planting variegated shrubs is better on the south side, where they will get more sun;
- on shaded areas there may be a delay in the development of grapes, up to the absence of fruits;
- the place should not be much ventilated, as the vine does not like drafts;
- the plants will feel cozy near the fence or wall, which, while heating over the day, will give off heat at night;
- next to the Motley grape bush, props must be installed in advance;
- for each branch to receive enough light and heat, it is necessary to periodically thin out the bushes with the help of trimming.
Motley variety of grapes grows well on all types of soil, including stony ground. It develops excellently on sandstones. On fertile black soil, fibrous root system branches close to the soil surface, since there is no need to search for food and water in the deep layers.
Preparing for landing
Variegated seedlings can be planted in the beds at any time from spring to autumn:
- a one-year sapling with a woody stalk survives well from April to the end of spring;
- the best time for rooting young green stepsons is summer;
- Autumn rooting of the Piedry variety is also possible, but it requires careful preparation of the seedling for wintering.
When autumn planting grapes Motley, the soil around the plant should be tightly covered with peat or sawdust. Many gardeners use lapnik as a covering material.Important! The shelter at the same time protects young winter saplings of grapes from rodents and sudden changes in temperature.
A careful examination of the varieties of varieties Motley will help select the most healthy and strong. They can be distinguished by some features:
- on white internal pulp on a cut - brown color is a sign of an illness;
- a bright green color is a cut of an annual sapling;
- on a healthy grape cutting, buds are fresh and do not fall off.
After the cuttings are selected for planting, they must be prepared for it. Two internodes are left on the cuttings: one is 1.5 cm above the lower end, and the second is 2 cm below the top. Motley grapes, as advised, are placed for a day in a growth stimulator, it can be replaced by a solution of honey in water. Then the sections should lie in a cold room for up to a month. They are preliminarily lubricated with garden pitch so that pathogenic microflora does not settle inside the stem. Next, seedlings of grapes are planted in containers with fertile soil for the development of the root system.
At the same time, work is underway to prepare pits for planting grapes:
- a month before planting, dig pits with a size of 0.8 x 0.8 m;
- the bottom of the holes is laid out with a mixture of humus and compost;
- A layer of fertilizer and ash is placed on top of the substrate, which is poured with earth to 2/3 of the pit volume
- in this form should be left pits for a month, so that the soil was saturated with useful trace elements;
- in a month, the already finished seedlings of the Pestry variety are planted in holes;
- for irrigation, a plastic pipe is installed next to the bush, projecting 15–20 cm above the surface;
- when planting grapes, it is necessary to carefully straighten the roots of seedlings and cover it with earth, compacting it thoroughly;
- stalk circle well compacted and pour plenty of warm water.
In order to obtain high and stable yields of the Motley variety of grapes, it is necessary to properly care for them - water them on time, prune and protect from diseases.
The pruning procedure not only forms the shape and volume of the vines, it provides:
- increasing the yield of the variety;
- faster ripening of berries;
- better lighting of the bushes;
- removal of diseased and old shoots;
- disease prevention;
- increase the resistance of grapes to frost.
Pruning grapes Motley can begin when the winter frosts are gone and the air temperature approaches zero degrees:
- starting from the top of the bush, all weak or frozen branches are gradually removed;
- pruning depends on the thickness of the shoots of grapes - the thicker it is, the greater the length is removed;
- trim bushes need to be evenly from all sides;
- In summer, pruning grapes helps reduce the number of unwanted shoots, remove excess leaves and improve the access of light to the shoots, creating favorable conditions for the ripening of berries;
- pinching stimulates the growth of new buds and branching of the shoots, according to the video, it is carried out a week before the Motley grapes bloom;
- too many clusters lead to chopping the berries, so some of them break off at the beginning of flowering.
Proper organization of irrigation has a positive effect on the yield of the vine. One of the most common mistakes is to water the bushes with cold water from the water supply system. He will not bring any benefit. Watering plants should only be separated by water in the evening. Spring irrigation of the bushes of grapes should be carried out before budding begins. Watering with warm water will accelerate this process.
Important! Water is especially needed in the vine when the buds bloom, flowering ends and berries ripen.
During the growing season, the frequency and intensity of watering depend on weather conditions and the condition of the bushes. It is especially useful to carry out it simultaneously with top dressing. Before wintering, the Motley grape variety must be plentifully watered, otherwise the cold will penetrate deep into the dry, which has become porous, the soil. As a result, some of the roots of the grapes die. Watering will not allow deep freezing of the soil, but it will give a supply of water for the future growing season. However, autumn watering of grapes is necessary only in arid autumn.
If during planting all the necessary fertilizers were added to the wells, they will ensure the effective growth and development of the Pestry grape during the first 3-4 years. However, over time, the land is depleted and regular feeding of grape bushes becomes necessary, and its composition is determined by the vegetation phase:
- Nitrogen increases the amount of green mass, it must be introduced mainly in the spring;
- phosphorus compounds will bring the most benefit to the Motley grapes at the beginning of flowering and the formation of ovaries;
- Potash salts contribute to the accelerated ripening of berries, they are made in late summer and autumn - to prepare the grapes for winter.
Feed the bushes need not only mineral fertilizers. To stimulate beneficial soil microflora, fertilizing with manure or compost is necessary. They improve the air permeability of the soil, and the decomposition gives the necessary minerals. Fertilizing grape varieties Motley should be carried out:
- in early spring, before opening the vine;
- 15 days before flowering bushes;
- after the end of flowering time, before the start of the ripening period;
- after harvesting, to improve the winter hardiness of the variety.
Despite the resistance of the variegated variety to typical diseases and pests, their probability cannot be completely excluded. Among the most common are:
- grape or grazewal moth that overwinters at the base of the roots, and with the arrival of spring it feeds on young tender leaves;
- spider mite, sucking the juice from the leaves and causing them to fall;
- grape mite, the appearance of which stops the development of the Pestry grape variety;
- bacterial diseases that destroy the vineyard;
- fungal diseases.
Motley preventive treatments for grapes, as recommended by the reviews, should be carried out regularly:
- in the spring, before bud break - with a solution of copper sulphate;
- after the appearance of the first leaves - one more time;
- before flowering - colloidal sulfur;
- in the summer - several times with antifungal agents and a solution of potassium permanganate;
- in the autumn, after pruning - with a solution of ferrous sulfate.
Reviews of summer residents
Beginners and experienced growers confirm the positive characteristics of the variety Pestry.Kruglova Evlampiya, 44 years old, the city of Uryupinsk Our climatic conditions and soil structure are excellently suited for this variety. We have been growing Motley for three years. Care is not a big deal. Plants respond well to watering with warm settled water through drainage pipes. Bushes variety Motley give large clusters with fragrant crunchy berries. The taste is wonderful. George Maskaradov, 60 years old, Vyborg. Two years ago they decided to plant Pestry grapes on the site. He was a very good success, despite the vagaries of our weather. Fruits are large and sweet, with a taste of nutmeg. In order for the vine to receive more sunlight and warmth, I peel the bushes in time, in the spring I always do pruning. Very good variety, thanks to its author. Maria Leskova, 47 years old, Balashikha. Motley grape variety grows well in our suburbs. Compared to other early varieties, it shows higher yields and excellent taste. Motley variety of grapes is resistant to mildew, but I spend preventive treatments on time, periodically inspect the leaves. With enough attention, bushes develop rapidly, clusters and berries turn out to be large, fleshy. Vladimir Pogodyaikin, 68 years old, Vladimir. For many years I have been growing different varieties of grapes on my land, of which I especially liked Pestry. The culture is very responsive to good care. It is simple - the plants just need to create comfortable conditions for growth, which consist in timely watering and dressing. Motley grapes attracts with early ripening and great taste.
Of the many early-maturing varieties, Motley's grapes stand out for their excellent characteristics, thanks to which they attract more and more attention of gardeners.