Every gardener is well aware that on depleted, depleted soils good yields of garden and garden crops do not get. In the old days, our ancestors used only organic dressings. Many farmers today are not going to give up on them.
With the development of chemistry, mineral fertilizers have appeared that improve the structure of the soil and have a beneficial effect on the development of plants. One of the little-known fertilizers is Bloodmeal, a substance of organic origin. About its properties and value for the garden and vegetable garden will be discussed in the article.
Description and composition
Blood meal belongs to the group of organic fertilizers. Russians so far rarely use it on their personal plots. Fertilizer is not a product of the chemical industry, which increases its value.
Flour is a by-product of animal processing. Blood is collected at the slaughterhouse, from which they then produce high-quality fertilizer with a high nitrogen content for growing plants. Fertilizer for sale in specialized stores. Some gardeners prepare feeding independently.Attention! The finished product has an unpleasant smell, so blood meal is not recommended for use for indoor plants.
How to get fertilizer
To obtain blood meal as fertilizer, the blood of farm animals and poultry is used.
Stages of processing:
- During the slaughter of animals, the blood is collected in special containers and thoroughly mixed so as not to form clots.
- Pumped liquid blood is pumped into the vibration extractor, in which coagulation occurs - the complete removal of moisture. This procedure is carried out with live steam.
- After that, the dehydrated semi-finished product is transferred to a dryer consisting of three compartments. After a certain time comes ready fertilizer.
In addition to the blood itself, the fertilizer contains:
- bone semi-finished products;
Phosphorus and potassium in this fertilizer is not contained, which sometimes complicates its use.
Ready Bloodmeal is a free flowing granular substance with a specific odor.
The main purpose of the blood meal fertilizer, judging by the description, is the rapid saturation of the soil with nitrogen for successful plant growth at certain points in the growing season. Like any product, it can have positive and negative points. Consider these questions in more detail.
So, what gives the use of blood meal:
- soil composition improves, acidity decreases;
- plants grown in the soil, grow faster, gaining green mass;
- greens on plants become bright and healthy due to the absorption of nitrogen (yellow spots disappear);
- productivity of garden and garden crops increases;
- the soil becomes more nutritious, its fertility increases;
- unpleasant smell frightens off many pests, including rodents.
Despite the fact that it is an organic fertilizer, it has negative aspects that gardeners must know about:
- reduces the amount of phosphorus and potassium in the soil;
- the application requires the strictest dosage, excess leads to burns of plants;
- reduces acidity, therefore it is recommended for highly acid soils;
- limited shelf life, after six months in the open package, practically no useful properties remain.
Gardeners, who first encounter Bloodmeal as fertilizer, are interested in how to apply to plants. This is not an idle question, since organic matter is not recommended for all soils. In addition, application errors lead to negative results.Tip! To start fertilizing plants with Blood meal, it is desirable to determine the acidity of their beds, since fertilizer reduces this indicator.
Best of all, of course, to conduct laboratory studies. But it is not always possible for owners of private farms and summer residents. After all, the procedure is not only expensive. The reason also lies in the fact that not every district, not to mention the village, has specialized institutions. Therefore, you need to know the folk ways with the use of scrap materials.
Determination of acidity
Our ancestors, without having any special agrotechnical knowledge, grew rich harvests on different soils. They were able to distinguish between acidic and neutral (alkaline) soils using improvised means and by observing the plants:
- Gardeners and gardeners have long noticed that not identical plants grow on different soils. Therefore, to determine the acidity focused on the presence of various weeds. For example, grass lice, horsetail, plantain, creeping buttercup and other plants - lovers of acidic soils. On neutral and alkaline soils such weeds are in single specimens and look depressed.
- In a bottle put a handful of earth and a little crushed chalk, pour water. Close the container with the fingertip and shake well. If the fingertip is filled with air, then the soil is acidic.
- Currants and cherries are not only berry bushes, but also excellent indicators for determining the acidity of the soil. Chop the leaves and brew with boiling water. When the liquid has cooled, cover the soil. If the soil is with neutral acidity, the water will turn blue. Acidic soils stain liquid green.
- Mix the soil with water until a slurry forms. Then add baking soda. If there is a hiss and bubbles - the soil is acidic.
The use of bone meal is possible in any form: dry and diluted. Moreover, one part of organic fertilizer is diluted in 50 parts of water. The resulting solution must be thoroughly mixed and left to infuse for several days.Attention! Do not mix before use!
The container with the solution must be covered with a lid so that the nitrogen does not come out and insects do not get caught. Water the plants under the root. This fertilizer is especially important in early spring, when shoots can damage rodents. After all, the unpleasant smell of blood scares them, unlike dogs and cats.
The blood meal has a high nitrogen content (up to 13%), therefore, thanks to this feeding, the plants increase the green mass, their growth is accelerated. But since plants need trace elements such as phosphorus and potassium, it is necessary to add bone meal to the dressing.A warning! An overdose of blood meal leads to burns of plants, dark spots can appear on the leaf plates, the plants feel depressed.
Since the saturation of plants with nitrogen occurs quickly, blood flour can be used for a limited time. One or two additional feedings are enough in the spring, when the plants increase the green mass before the budding begins.
If your soil is acidic, but to enhance the growth of plants, you still decide to use this organic fertilizer, first you need to lime the soil with fluff or dolomite flour.
Blood meal is a universal organic fertilizer not only for garden and garden crops, but also for home plants. Due to the presence of a large amount of nitrogen, the soil structure improves, the vitality of the plants increases, which leads to a good yield.
When working with fertilizer you need to get acquainted with the instructions, apply nitrogen fertilizer strictly metered. Here are some recommendations for dry fertilization:
- When planting seedlings of vegetable crops, only 1 tablespoon of blood meal is added to a well. For flowers, the quantity increases one and a half to two times.
- In large planting pits for garden trees and shrubs for every 30 kg of soil is added 500 grams of blood meal and mix thoroughly.
- Under perennial flowers and shrubs 50-200 grams of substance.
- With the spring preparation of ridges per square meter, 150 grams of organic fertilizer are applied.
- 200–500 grams of top dressing are added to the tree trunk of the fruit tree and mixed with the soil.
- If you mix the Blood and Bonemeal in the ratio of 100 to 400 grams, you get a complex feeding, which can be applied under the crop 3-4 times during the growing season from spring to autumn.
Often blood meal is diluted in water. On a ten-liter bucket 500 grams of the substance and insist from 5 to 10 days. This dressing poured under the roots of plants. Since nitrogen is quickly and easily absorbed by garden and garden crops, it is not necessary to overdo it with fertilizer. Moreover, one feeding is enough for 6-8 weeks, so the timing of plant nutrition must be respected.
Other organic fertilizers for the garden: