The formation of cucumbers in the greenhouse, the pattern of giving a certain shape to the bush and the control of the growth of the shoots are all elements of the care of the most popular vegetable plant. Cucumber is a fast-growing liana. In order to get a good harvest, it is necessary to constantly direct the growth of shoots in the right direction, to encourage the plant to concentrate forces on the ripening of fruits.
Formation of cucumber vine
The cucumber shrub is an annual vine that, under favorable conditions, is capable of developing very long and branched shoots. This may be good for the humid tropics, but where the growing season lasts 6-7 months, green mass is not always necessary.
The formation of cucumbers in a polycarbonate greenhouse is the optimization of the structure of the entire liana in order to increase the yield.
In order for cucumbers not to go into the leaves, but to bloom and bear fruit as actively as possible, you must follow these rules:
- Periodically delete everything that does not work for the crop.
- Placement of bushes should be as rational as possible.
- Cucumbers in a greenhouse made of polycarbonate can give a decent harvest only if they trail along the trellis.
- With the help of a rational scheme of pinching and trimming cucumber bush given the desired direction of growth in connection with the requirements of light, branching and growth restriction.
First of all, it is necessary to remove leaves that are in deep shade — they do not fully carry out photosynthesis, but at the same time take water and mineral substances. The lowermost leaves are also subject to removal; leaves and shoots beginning to wither and turn yellow. Finally, mustaches and male flowers are often categorized as superfluous and unnecessary. This question is controversial, but worthy of attention.
The most rational placement of the bushes means that the formation of cucumbers in a polycarbonate greenhouse substantially depends on the abundance of sunlight and the duration of its impact on all parts of the cucumber vine. The formation of the bush should be done so as to ensure maximum illumination with a minimum of occupied space.Tip! Creating a vertical support is the basis for the optimal formation of a bush.
Trellis can be dispensed with only if there is an excess of space and temporary use of the land.
Thus, the formation of a cucumber scourge is a set of measures to remove excess and optimize the placement of the shoots relative to the light source. Everything else is in the nature of secondary action.
Rules for pruning and pinching
The fundamental difference between pruning and pinching is the radical effect. In the first case we are talking about the removal of part of the scourge, leaves, fruits, flowers and whiskers. In the second - most often on the removal of the point of growth on the main or lateral escape. Pruning and pinching are the main methods aimed at forming a bush.
The scheme of cutting and pinching consists in the implementation of the following actions:
- At the stage of the appearance of the first 6 leaves you need to pinch off the tip of the shoot. This stimulates the plant to additional branching, which increases productivity. If time is lost and the vines are already large, then pinching is meaningless - it will only lead to growth inhibition.
- Remove excess whiskers and male flowers. If you have chosen the strategy of careful manual tying of all lashes, then the mustache, of course, must be cut off. However, you should not remove all male flowers - pollen should be taken from somewhere to fertilize female flowers.
- Some leaves of cucumbers in the greenhouse must be removed.
- If you are not going to leave cucumbers on seeds, then immediately remove all overripe fruits. Continuing to ripen, they will take over the resources.
The strategy for the formation of cucumbers in a greenhouse made of polycarbonate depends on your desire, ideas about the feasibility and features of the greenhouse design. This is especially due to the allowable length of the scourge. If the vine is too long, it can be cut or bent down, where it would fill the voids of the lower floors of the trellis.
Optimization of placement of lianas in space
In order to understand how to properly form cucumbers, it is not necessary to focus on ubiquitous pruning and pinching. Sometimes you need to allow the plant to have something that at first glance is superfluous. It's about a mustache. Growing cucumbers with a mustache can be not only acceptable, but even beneficial. It all depends on your chosen strategy of placing the bushes in the greenhouse.
The presence or absence of a mustache makes its own adjustments to the process of forming cucumber bushes. However, no matter how you decide to grow vines, you must follow these rules:
- Once every 3 days you need to check the position of the shoots and tie the drop-down whips.
- With the same regularity, you should wrap the escape around the twine in a clockwise direction. After all, this is what a vine does in natural conditions. The top of any shoot should be free, because it is here that the growing point is located. Twisting occurs with the help of that part of the shoot, which is approximately 5 cm below the top.
- When we form whips with a mustache, the process is simplified and complicated at the same time. During the period of active growth, the vines with the help of a mustache will form themselves, actively clinging to everything that comes up. However, this is good only if the landing is sufficiently sparse, and the trellis is well stocked with thick wire weaves. Otherwise, someday you will find that everything is entangled and messed up.
Of course, everyone has their own answer to the question of how to form cucumbers in a greenhouse. It is up to the gardener to decide how to grow cucumbers, with or without a mustache, sparse or as thick as possible, with tall and complex trellis or single twines. However, to know the basic rules of the formation of cucumbers in a greenhouse made of polycarbonate, which have absorbed the experience of more than one generation of farmers, is highly desirable.