Cranberry, without a doubt, is one of the most useful berries growing in Russia. But the heat treatment, which is used to preserve the berries for consumption in the winter, can destroy many of the beneficial substances contained in them. Therefore, cranberries, mashed with sugar, is one of the most convenient and healing preparations for the winter of this valuable berries. Moreover, the preparation does not take much time and effort in cooking.
A classic recipe for cranberries with sugar for the winter
To save the cranberries for the winter according to this recipe will not take a lot of time and effort.
The components that will be used in the classic cranberry recipe, wiped for the winter, are the simplest: cranberries and sugar.
For those who do not accept the use of sugar, it may be advisable to use fructose or special green sugar obtained from a plant called stevia.
Honey can be considered the most healing substitute for sugar. Indeed, not only are they perfectly combined with cranberries, they also complement and strengthen the healing properties of each other.
Proportions: Cranberries With Sugar
The proportions that are used to make cranberries grated with sugar depend not only on the taste preferences of the person who prepares this dish. Much is determined by the conditions under which the grated berry is supposed to be stored in winter. It is also important indications for the state of health - some can use sugar, but in limited quantities.
So, the generally accepted proportions adopted in the classic recipe for cranberries, mashed with sugar - 1: 1. This means that, for example, 500 g of berries should be prepared 500 g of sugar. To taste, the preform turns out to be pleasant, not cloying, sour-sweet.
It is allowed to increase the proportions to 1: 1.5 and even to 1: 2. That is, you can add 750 or even 1000 g of sugar per 500 g of cranberries. In the latter cases, cranberries, mashed with sugar, can be stored in room conditions throughout the winter - the berries will not spoil. But the taste, sweet and sugary, will resemble a real jam.
The preparation prepared in usual proportions is recommended to be stored in cool conditions, it is desirable, in the refrigerator.
Other types of sugar substitutes are usually added to cranberries in a 1: 1 ratio. Honey is enough to add 500 g per 1 kg of berries. True, such blanks should be stored in a cold place.
Preparation of berries for processing
Since cranberries will not be subjected to heat treatment, for its successful storage, special attention is paid to the selection and preparation of berries for processing.
No matter what berries are used, fresh or frozen, first of all, they must be rinsed under running water or rinsed several times replacing the water. Then they are sorted out to remove all damaged, damaged or badly crumpled berries.
After a careful search of all the berries they are laid out to dry on a flat clean surface, preferably in one row.
It is important to pay attention to the dishes, which will preserve cranberry, ground with sugar, in winter. If glass jars are used for these purposes, they must be not only rinsed, but also sterilized. Plastic covers are immersed for a couple of seconds in boiling water. Metal lids are kept in boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes.
How to grate cranberries
According to the classic recipe, cranberries must be crushed or rubbed in any convenient way. Most often, an immersion or conventional blender or food processor is used for these purposes. This is really the fastest and most convenient way. Since when using a conventional meat grinder, the process can be complicated by the fact that the rind with the cake will clog the small holes of the device, and it will often have to be unscrewed and cleaned.
But it should be remembered that cranberries contain a lot of various natural acids, which can interact with the metal parts of a blender or meat grinder.
Therefore, for a long time, cranberries and other sour berries were ground exclusively with a wooden spoon or tolkushki in a wooden, ceramic or glass container. Of course, this method will be more laborious compared with the use of kitchen appliances, but you can be 100% sure in the quality and healing properties of the obtained mashed billet.Attention! It is not necessary to achieve the complete grinding of absolutely all the berries - there will be nothing terrible in the fact that a pair of berries will remain in its original form.
For those who are accustomed to achieve the ideal state in everything and are not afraid of difficulties, you can additionally recommend to rub the cranberries through a plastic sieve. In this case, the consistency of the obtained rubbed product turns out surprisingly delicate and resembles jelly.
In the next step, the grated cranberries are mixed with the required amount of sugar and left in a cool place for 8-12 hours. This is best done at night.
The next day, the berries are mixed again and distributed in small, sterilized jars. Covers are best used with ready-made threads. Depending on the amount of sugar used, store mashed cranberries in the winter, either in the refrigerator or in a regular kitchen cabinet.
Cranberries, grated with orange and sugar
Oranges, like lemons, and other citrus fruits, are perfectly combined with cranberries and complement it with their aroma and beneficial substances.
Moreover, for the preparation of a delicious and at the same time healing preparation for the winter, not so much is needed:
- 1 kg of cranberries;
- about 1 large sweet orange;
- 1.5 kg of granulated sugar.
- Oranges boiling water and fray the zest using a fine grater.
- Then the peel is removed from them, the bones, which contain the main bitterness, are removed, and crushed in a selected way: with a blender or through a meat grinder.
- Enumerated, washed and dried cranberries are also ground into mashed potatoes.
- Sugar is made from powdered sugar using a coffee grinder or a food processor. Note! Sugar powder is much easier and faster to dissolve in the berry-fruit puree.
- In a non-metallic container, combine mashed oranges and cranberries, add the required amount of powdered sugar and, after thoroughly mixing, leave for 3-4 hours at room temperature.
- Again, mix, lay on the banks and screw down with sterile caps.
Delicacy for the winter is ready.
Cranberry recipe without cooking
This method of harvesting cranberries for the winter is the easiest.
It will take:
- 1 kg of cranberries;
- 1 kg of granulated sugar.
According to this recipe for preserving cranberries for the winter without cooking, it is not even necessary to grind it. Prepared, thoroughly dried berries after washing, without rubbing, are laid out on sterile dry jars, richly sprinkling every inch layer of sugar.Tip! It is important that the berries before the laying are completely dry, so for this purpose you can even use an electric dryer or a weak oven (no more than + 50 ° C).
- Banks filled with berries, not reaching two centimeters to the edge.
- The remaining sugar is poured into each can almost to the top.
- Each can is immediately twisted tightly with a sterile cap and placed in storage in a cool place.
Cranberries in powdered sugar
In this recipe, you can prepare mashed cranberries for the winter with a lower sugar content than the classical technology. Therefore, the recipe may be interesting for those who have to limit themselves to using too much sugar. However, it is advisable to keep this preparation in a cool place - in the refrigerator or in the winter on the balcony.
For the manufacture will need all the same ingredients, but the proportions will be somewhat different:
- 1 kg of cranberries;
- 600 grams of sugar.
The cooking process, as before, is simple:
- First, you need to turn half of all the sugar into powder with the help of any convenient device: a coffee grinder, a blender, a food processor.
- Cranberries are prepared for processing in the usual way. Particular attention should be paid to the drying of berries, so that they do not have excess moisture.
- At the next stage, the berries are rubbed in a convenient way, turning them into puree, if possible.
- 300 g of the powdered sugar is added and the grated cranberries are mixed for a while to achieve a uniform consistency.
- Sterilize a small volume of the jar (0.5-0.7 l) and the lid.
- Prepared berry puree is laid out on sterile jars, not reaching a bit to their edges.
- From parchment (paper for baking) cut circles with a diameter exceeding the opening diameter of the cans by a few centimeters.
- There should be exactly as many circles as cans with grated berries.
- Each circle is placed on top of the berry puree and is covered with a few spoons of granulated sugar on top.
- Banks are immediately hermetically tightened with screw sterile caps.
- The sugar plug formed from above will reliably protect the cranberry puree from souring.
Cranberries, mashed with sugar, is prepared very simply and quickly. But this simple dish has the properties of a real domestic doctor, and at the same time it is very attractive to the taste.