Most gardeners in Central Russia know Physalis as an exclusively ornamental plant. But this relative of the well-known tomato has edible varieties. Eat physalis edible can be both fresh and canned form. There are several popular varieties of this culture, each variety has its fans.
How to distinguish physalis edible and inedible
To distinguish physalis edible from decorative rather simple. As soon as the ripening process takes place, ornamental varieties acquire an unpleasant, poisonous, bright orange color. Edible Physalis usually has a flashlight of a paler color. Inside the flashlight, near an edible variety, is located a small-sized berry itself, which can be eaten without any temperature treatment. The color of the edible berry may be different, for example, plum. There are fruits of orange and light yellow.
How does physalis edible
Physalis has two completely edible forms. The first is vegetable, the second is berry. The fruits of vegetable Physalis are similar to yellow-green tomatoes. Fleshy, medium size. Bushes tall and slender, like all solanaceous crops.
Stems may vary and be branching or creeping. The length of the stems reaches 120 cm. The leaves are oval, with jagged edges. Up to 200 fruits are formed on one plant, depending on weather and fertile conditions.
Where physalis grows edible
To grow edible Physalis, lime soil is needed. If the soil is acidic, physalis will not grow. During the day, the plant requires the sun. And also for a good harvest you need to avoid excessive moisture.
If there is no excess moisture, weeds, enough of the sun, the plant will produce a good and rich harvest. It is important that when growing physalis and caring for him there is a sufficient amount of sunlight.
How physalis grows edible
Grow a rare vegetable with seedlings. When planting it should be borne in mind that the plant most often strongly branches, which means it will have to be planted in the ground at a distance of at least 50 cm from each other and in a checkerboard pattern. Then the bushes will not interfere with each other. It is important that different varieties of Physalis should not be combined in one area. In addition, each variety and variety require their care.
Physalis varieties of edible
Before planting physalis edible, it is necessary to choose the most suitable variety. The following varieties of Physalis edible are most common in cultivation:
- Peruvian. Berry variety with a pleasant sweetish taste and aroma. Used mainly for cooking desserts.
- Pineapple. Physalis berries of this variety are small, reminiscent of pineapple in taste.
- Raisin. Variety when dried becomes similar to raisins. It is used not only in dried and dried, but also in fresh form. It has a citrus flavor.
- Moscow early. Vegetable variety, used with success for conservation. Early fruits weighing up to 80 g
- Mexican tomato. Most common among vegetable varieties. Bushes are high, fruits have a yellowish tint. Used in salads and preserves.
- Gribovsky soil. Yield and cold-resistant variety. Fruits of a greenish shade of mid-season ripening.
When choosing a particular variety, it is important to carefully study the growing and planting conditions.
The useful physalis edible
Physalis edible has many useful properties due to the contained vitamins and trace elements.
Fruits of a ripe plant contain:
- a large amount of vitamin C, it helps in the treatment of infectious and colds;
- nicotinic acid, which helps reduce blood cholesterol and fights atherosclerosis;
- potassium, which reduces pressure, removes excess fluid and relieves swelling;
- beta carotenes, lycopene - reduce the risk of prostate cancer in men;
- B vitamins that control and normalize the central nervous system.
When used properly, Physalis has a choleretic, analgesic, wound-healing, antiseptic and diuretic effect on the body. With success the plant is applied at:
- Botkin's disease.
The benefits are also for the intestines, because the vegetable improves peristalsis and normalizes the work of the digestive system.
The plant has its own contraindications:
- Do not drink the course for more than 10 days without a doctor's permission;
- pregnancy, lactation;
- gastritis and gastric ulcer;
- thyroid disease;
- allergic reaction.
If a person does not reliably know about Physalis allergy, it suffices to recall the food reaction to tomatoes. Allergy to them means the presence and allergy to Physalis.
Growing and caring for Physalis edible
Physalis vulgaris is not difficult to grow. Agrotechnika plants is extremely simple. Physalis vulgaris is grown from seed with seedlings.
Before planting seedlings in the ground, the soil must be prepared. A place to choose must be sunny, because the Mexican tomato does not like shade. In the ground you need to make a weak solution of potassium permanganate. When digging it is necessary to make ash and humus. Then the soil will be quite fertile.
As a predecessor, you can not use any culture of the nightshade, because they use similar substances from the soil and impoverish it. Seeds germinate quickly, and a young plant will germinate within 30 days.
It can be landed immediately in open ground, but in this case, the beds must be covered with foil.
At first, you should not water the seedlings too actively, because in this case the root system is rotting. To prevent the fruits from becoming too watery, it is not recommended to water the plant during the formation and ripening of the crop, only occasionally.
Feed the plant twice during growth. For feeding a solution of cow dung is used in a ratio of 1:10.
The plant does not require special care. It is enough to moderately water and monitor the absence of weeds.
Diseases and pests
The main diseases of Physalis ordinary:
- Black leg - occurs when excessive moisture and the absence of loosening the soil. With the disease, the stem at the root turns black and the plant dies.
- Mosaic - light green spots of various sizes appear on the plants. The plant is infected through insects, as well as mechanically improper farming techniques.
If the plant is regularly weaned, watered, and also loosened the ground, then diseases will not be able to overcome Physalis, and the harvest will be full. In addition to diseases, there are also pests, some of which are strongly interested in solanaceous crops:
- Medvedka - damages plants from the very beginning of spring. Insect pronounced digging legs. Winters in the form of a larva. To get rid of the bear in early June it is recommended to deeply loosen the aisles.
- Wireworms - not the insects themselves are dangerous, but their larvae. They gnaw the root system of the plant and lead to its death. It is recommended to work the soil with special means, and also to set traps for baiting the wireworm.
Physalis matures gradually. The first crop appears and ripens on the lower branches of the plant. If you do not collect it in time, the fruits will fall to the ground. If the weather is dry, then on earth the fruit in the covers will retain their beneficial properties for a long time. In a humid climate, you need to collect right away so that the larvae and parasites could not get into the cover.
Fruits can endure the first autumn frosts, but experts advise to harvest before frost, so that the fruits retain all their beneficial properties.
For long-term storage to remove the fruit should be in immature state. For storage it is necessary to leave the fruit in the natural "packaging".
How to eat
Physalis perennial edible can be used in several ways. It all depends on the variety. There are decorative varieties from which you can prepare jam, vegetable for preservation and salads.
And also you can eat and cook:
- Physalis is salty. This recipe can be prepared both separately and using cucumbers. The recipe is as follows: put fruits in layers in a jar and pour brine at the rate of 60 g of salt per liter of water.
- Soaked vegetable.
- Marinated product. Marinate is necessary for the same conditions as simple tomatoes.
- Vegetable caviar from the fruits of Mexican tomato is prepared by skipping through a meat grinder and adding salt, onion, and pepper to taste.
- Candied fruits are most often prepared from berry varieties of vegetables.
- Jam and mashed potatoes both for one-time preparation, and as winter preparation.
This vegetable is unique in that it will appeal to lovers of sweets and those who prefer a healthier cuisine. In salads, physalis edible has its pleasant taste and, with a small calorie content, will attract lovers of healthy food.
Eat physalis edible people started a long time ago. This is a useful product, containing in its composition a large amount of vitamins and trace elements. Grow it in the country is not more difficult than a simple tomato. A beginner gardener will also be able to care for planting, and in the end he will receive a useful plant with a large number of healing properties.