Barberry Thunberg Darts Red Lady - a plant with decorative properties. It is valued for unusual leaves that change color throughout the season. This variety has a high winter hardiness and rarely gets sick.
Description of barberry Darts Red Lady
Barberry Thunberg - a species of the genus Barberry, grows in nature in the Far East. It is also grown in Europe and North America. The variety is planted in gardens and parks throughout Russia. The shrub grows successfully in the middle lane, in the Urals and in Siberia.
According to the description of the barberry Thunberg Darts Red Lady - is a deciduous shrub. The crown is wide and round. Plant height from 1 to 1.5 m, crown size - up to 1.5 m. Average increase, about 10 cm per year. On the trunk and shoots there are needles collected in bundles.
As seen in the photo, the branches of Barbaris Darts Red Lady are ribbed, arc-shaped, reddish in color. In an adult bush, branches turn dark brown. Kidney egg-shaped, reddish color. The leaves are small, rounded, arranged on the petioles. The sheet plate is 2 cm long and 1 cm wide.
Flowering varieties of Red Lady begins in the second half of May. The flowers are small, yellowish with red stripes with a faint aroma. In the summer, the foliage is purple and in the fall becomes orange-red. In the autumn ripen small fruits of coral color. They remain on the shoots until spring.
Planting and care
The successful development of the barberry of Thunberg largely depends on meeting the deadlines and landing rules. Under the grade Red Lady prepare the right place, improve the structure and quality of the soil. After planting, the barberries are provided with good care: they water, fertilize, cut the crown.
Preparation of seedlings and planting area
Barberry Thunberg prefers sunny sites. In the shade, the shrub of this variety develops slowly, and the foliage loses a rich color. It is best to choose a place from the west or south side, protected from the cold wind. Barberry planted near the house, fencing or on the lawn. Shrubs form a hedge.Tip! This barberry variety with bright red leaves effectively looks against the background of evergreens.
Barberry Darts grows on any soil, but it develops best in loamy soil. The main requirements for the soil is fertility, friability, moisture and water permeability. If the site is too heavy soil, then it is improved with the help of coarse river sand. Excess water in the soil destroyers for barberry.
For planting fit strong and healthy seedlings varieties of Red Lady. They are evaluated visually for the absence of mold, cracks and other damage. If the roots of the plant are over dried, they are kept for 5-6 hours in clean water. To make the barberry root better, a stimulator of rooting is added to the water.
Landing barberry Thunberg Darts Red
Barberry Turberg Red Lady varieties are planted in late autumn, when the leaves fall. It takes a sapling a few weeks to take root before cooling. In regions with a cold climate, planting varieties is postponed for the next season. Barberry kept in the cellar or added to the plot. Planting is carried out in the spring, until the buds are swollen in the trees.
The procedure for landing barberry Darts Red Lady:
- On the site they dig a hole with a diameter of 0.5 m. 1.5 m is left between the bushes. 2 bushes are placed for growing a hedge per 1 m.
- At the bottom is placed drainage of expanded clay.
- To fill the pit, prepare a substrate of fertile land, humus and river sand.
- The pit is covered with soil and left for 3-4 weeks for the soil to shrink.
- Before planting a seedling in a hole, they pour fertile soil in the form of a hill.
- A barberry is placed on top, its root system is spread and covered with earth.
- Soil tamped, and the sapling watered with warm water.
After landing, the barberry Darts Red Lady is cut, 3 buds are left on the branches. In order to take root sooner, it is watered every 10 days with warm water. To moisture does not evaporate, pour humus or peat.
Watering and feeding
Barberry variety Darts Lady - an unpretentious shrub. It is watered only in a strong drought. In the rest of the time, the culture has enough precipitation. A layer of humus or peat is poured into the near-stem circle. Water is taken warm or separated: it is poured at the root. Periodically loosen the soil and weed weed.
The culture responds well to top dressing. The first years of the seedlings varieties Thunberg enough fertilizer made during planting. In the future, it is best to use organic. In the autumn, they dig up the soil under a shrub and bring in compost.
During the season, the Thunberg bush of the Darts variety is fed according to the scheme:
- in early spring, a mullein infusion is brought under the bush;
- in June, barberry is poured over with a solution of superphosphate and potassium sulfate (30 g of each substance per 10 liters of water);
- in late autumn they fertilize with wood ash or superphosphate.
Mineral complexes are suitable for feeding barberry Thunberg. Choose special fertilizers for ornamental shrubs. They contain all the necessary substances.
Due to the trimming form the crown of the barberry Thunberg Darts Red. It is conducted in the spring before the sap flow of the trees. Allowed to prune the bush in the fall, when the leaves fall. Be sure to eliminate weak, frozen and dry shoots. Anti-aging treatment involves the removal of old branches growing inside the crown.Tip! Barberry Toonberga Darts Red does not tolerate cardinal pruning and is long restored.
For hedger perform formative pruning. Shoots pruned to 1/3 of the length. Young bushes are pruned annually, adults every six months.
Preparing for the winter
The barberry of Thunberg is resistant to winter frosts. Occasionally freeze slightly shoots that are removed in the spring. To the bush varieties Darts Red Lady better endured winter, training is carried out in late autumn. The soil is watered with warm water. Wet soil worse freezes through and protects the roots from cold weather. Soil mulch humus or peat.
The young barberry of Thunberg is covered with agrofibre. A wooden frame is installed above the seedlings and a covering material is attached to it. It is not recommended to use polyethylene, which does not allow air and moisture. In the spring after the temperature rises, the shelter is removed.
Methods of breeding barberry Thunberg Darts Lady:
- Seeds. The most time consuming option. First, seeds of Darts Red Lady variety, ripening in fruits, are harvested. Of these, only 15–40% are viable. The seeds are incised shell and fall in the ground in the fall. In spring, shoots appear. After 2 years, seedlings of Thunberg can be transplanted to the desired location.
- Cuttings. In the shrub of the Tungberg Lady variety, 15 cm long branches are cut off. They select lignified shoots or green annual cuttings. The branches are kept in a solution of growth stimulator, after all they are planted in boxes with soil. When the cuttings take root, they are transferred to the open area.
- Layering. In the spring at the barberry Thunberg choose a long strong branch. It is fastened with staples and covered with earth. All season otvodok watered and fed. In the fall, the seedling is separated from the bush and deposited.
- The division of the bush. The method is convenient for transplanting barberry Thunberg. The rhizome is divided into parts with a knife, the sections are treated with coal. Red Lady variety is propagated by dividing the bush in autumn and spring.
Diseases and pests
The variety is resistant to diseases and pests. With increased humidity, the culture may suffer from fungal diseases: spotting, powdery mildew, and rust. The spotting has the appearance of dark spots on the sheet plate. Gradually the foliage dries and falls. Copper oxychloride solution is effective against the disease. At 10 liters of water measure 30 g of the substance and spray the leaves of barberry.
Mealy dew has the appearance of a whitish plaque that occurs on the leaves and sprouts of the Darts Lady variety. From the disease, a solution of colloidal sulfur is used. Signs of rust are orange spots on the sheet plate. On the back of the leaves are fungal spores. The disease develops rapidly, leading to drying and falling leaves. For rust control for spraying using Bordeaux mixture.
Barberry Darts Red attracts aphids and peppered moths. Colonies of aphids inhabit the top of the shoots, where the leaves curl, and feed on sap of shrubs. The moth feeds on the fruits of the plant that fall prematurely. Pests damage the decoration and inhibit the development of the bush. To fight insects used insecticides Aktellik or Spark. From folk remedies spraying the bush with tobacco dust infusion is effective.
Barberry Thunberg Darts Red Lady - an ornamental plant that will decorate any garden. It is grown in regions with different climates. The plant requires a minimum of care, it is little susceptible to diseases and does not freeze out in winter. The variety is grown throughout Russia.