Dwarf shrub barberry Thunberg "Inspiration" created by hybridization in the Czech Republic. Frost-resistant culture quickly spread through the territory of the Russian Federation. Barberry Thunberg tolerates arid summer, shaded areas, undemanding care. Used in the design of the territory.
Description of barberry Inspiration
This is a relatively new type of barberry, which was created specifically for landscape design. Because of the high level of alkaloids, the fruits of the plant are bitter, therefore they are not used for gastronomic purposes. Barberry Thunberg perennial variety, referring to deciduous species. It reaches a height of 55 cm, forms a crown in the form of a circle with a diameter of up to 70 cm. Flowering begins in May.
Barberry "Inspiration" is a plant of slow growing season, the increase for the season is about 10 cm. It leads among the cultivars of frost resistance. Safely transfers temperature drop to - 250 C. It winters under snow without additional shelter. If the season is not snowy, freezing of the upper part of the young shoots is possible, which are fully restored during the summer.
A sufficient amount of ultraviolet radiation is the guarantor of the attractiveness of the Thunberg shrub "Inspiration". In shaded places, photosynthesis slows down, this is reflected in the decorativeness of the crown. It changes color to monochromatic, darker interspersed with green fragments.
Description of the barberry Thunberg "Inspiration" (shown in the photo):
- Thin branches of a bush grow vertically. The krone is dense, compact, practically without gaps, spherical shape. Young growth of bright burgundy color with a glossy surface. Older shoots are darker with a brown tint.
- View Tunberg "Inspiration" is in demand among designers because of the color of the bush. On one barberry there are leaves with white, red, purple specks on a light pink background. The leaves are small, spatulate, 1.2 cm in size. Rounded from above, narrowed at the bottom, tightly fixed, remain on the plant after autumn frosts.
- The barking of the barberry "Inspiration" of Thunberg is weak, the spines are short (up to 0.5 cm), simple.
- Culture blooms profusely bright yellow flowers, gathered in inflorescences of 4 pieces, or single blooming on the shoots. The variety is a honey plant, does not require cross-pollination.
- Berries of barberry Tunberg oblong, green in the stage of technical ripeness, after maturation are painted in bright burgundy color. Well fixed on the stem, do not fall from the bush until spring, due to the abundance of berries, the barberry of Thunberg looks spectacular against the background of snow.
Barberry Inspiration in landscape design
Dwarf ornamental shrubs are used for the foreground in a variety of compositions. Used as a single plant, or in combination with higher grades of barberry. Planted in a group, for the formation of borders. The main use of the plant is personal plots, the front part of administrative buildings, flower beds in recreation parks. The barberry of Thunberg, a dwarf species is used to create:
- borders along the garden path;
- front background rabatok;
- emphasis in the center of the flower bed;
- water area restrictions;
- rock garden compositions;
- Concert focus attention near the stones in rock arias.
Often used barberry to shrub-woody composition. Combine "Inspiration" with coniferous trees. Grown as a hedge. Variety Thunberg amenable to pruning, form a fence of various shapes.
Planting and care
Barberry "Inspiration" tolerates a decrease in temperature, so it is grown in Siberia, the Urals and the entire territory of the European part of the Russian Federation. The decorativeness of the crown is not affected by return spring frosts, the barberry will not lose flowers, respectively, by autumn fruits. Thunberg's "Inspiration" variety can do without moisture for a long time, it is not afraid of high temperatures, this feature makes the barberry a frequent guest in the backyard area of southerners. The plant is unpretentious in agricultural technology.
Preparation of seedlings and planting area
To land the barberry Thunberg "Inspiration" is taken in the spring, when the ground warms up completely, in regions with a temperate climate approximately in mid-May, in the South - in April. The method of autumn planting is rarely used. A place for culture is chosen sunny, in good light the color of the bush will be rich. Photosynthesis will not be affected by temporary shading. With a deficit of ultraviolet barberry will lose decorative.
Culture grows well with a lack of moisture, an excess can lead to the death of the plant. The root system at the barberry surface, prolonged waterlogging leads to rotting of the root. Landing area is determined on a flat or elevated place, marshy lowlands are not suitable. An important requirement is the absence of closely flowing groundwater. Barberry "Inspiration" does not tolerate the effects of the north wind, the shrub is recommended to be placed on the south or east side.
The soil should be well drained, slightly acidic or neutral. The plant feels comfortable on sandy bottom, can also grow on loamy. The plot is prepared in the autumn. The acidic soil is neutralized with dolomite flour or lime. In spring, the soil will be suitable for planting barberry. Peat is added to the black soil. Planting material used two years of age. Seedlings are selected with three processes, with a smooth bark of dark red color, without damage. The central root should be well developed, without dry areas, a fibrous system without mechanical damage.Attention! Before planting, the root is disinfected in a solution of manganese or a fungicide, placed for 1.5 hours in an agent that stimulates root growth.
When forming a hedge, the barberry of Thunberg is placed in a trench. For a single landing, make a groove. Prepare a fertile mixture of equal parts, organic matter, peat, yellow sand. The depth of the pit is 45 cm, width is 30 cm. If planting involves the formation of a hedge, 4 plants are placed on one meter. When planting barberry "Inspiration" as an arabesque, the row-spacing should be 50 cm. Algorithm of actions:
- They are digging a hole, 25 cm of prepared soil are poured to the bottom.
- Barberry set in the center, spread on the bottom of the pit roots.
- Sapling fall asleep ground, leaving the root neck on the surface.
- Water the root with superphosphate diluted in water.
Watering and feeding
Variety "Inspiration" Thunberg - drought-resistant plant. If it rains periodically in summer, the barberries do not water. In dry dry summers, they irrigate the crop early in the morning or after sunset. Young seedlings require watering throughout the season at least four times a month.
On fertile soils, top dressing is carried out in the spring before leaf blooming with nitrogen-containing agents. After flowering, use organic, phosphate and potassium fertilizers. After the cessation of sap flow, the bush is watered abundantly.
After landing, the barberry of Thunberg is cut in half, over the summer the culture forms a spherical crown. In the second year of the growing season, weak shoots, branches damaged by frost are removed, and the haircut gives the desired shape to the shrub. Subsequent years pruning low-growing bush is not required. In early June, in order to impart an aesthetic appearance, sanitary cleaning is carried out.
Preparing for the winter
In the absence of snow in regions with a cold climate, the bush is covered with spruce branches or dry leaves. Barberry "Inspiration" successfully hibernates under the snow cover. A prerequisite is the mulching of the root circle with a layer of sawdust (up to 10 cm).
The barberry of Thunberg is propagated on the site by various methods. The generative method is very rarely used, since this work is laborious and time consuming. Seed germination is weak and does not give the right amount of planting material. The advantage of generative cultivation is the high resistance of the plant to infections. Barberry Thunberg on a temporary bed grows two years, the third is determined on a permanent site. This method is practiced in nurseries for breeding culture for commercial purposes.
Acceptable methods for gardeners:
- The division of the maternal bush. At least four strong trunks and an extensive root system are left on each part.
- Layering. Drop in the bottom shoot. In late August, the fruit buds will form the root, cut the seedlings, plant on the garden where they grow a year, then place it on the plot.
- Cutting of the annual process. The material is put on a temporary place, covered. A year later, a species of Thunberg "Inspiration" is ready for breeding.
The culture after transfer is well acclimatized, very rarely young saplings die.
Diseases and pests
Thunberg's Inspiration is not considered to be a sustainable species capable of withstanding fungal infection. Most often affected:
- bacterial cancer;
- necrosis of the cortex;
- powdery mildew.
Processed variety Tunberg "Inspiration" fungicides: "Skor", "Maxim", "Horus".
Parasitic on the bush spider mite and aphid. From pests get rid of insecticides: "Aktellik", "Angio", "Aktara". In the preventive order in the spring barberry sprayed Bordeaux liquid.
Barberry Thunberg "Inspiration" - dwarf ornamental shrub. Deciduous culture attracts landscape designers with exotic crown colors. The culture is unpretentious in agricultural technology, tolerates low temperatures. Used to create borders, hedges, foreground compositions.