Barberry Green Carpet - a small fluffy shrub, often used for landscaping sites. This plant is characterized by endurance and unpretentiousness, while having a bright attractive appearance.
Description of Barberry Green Carpet
Barberry Thunberg Green Carpet refers to deciduous shrubs. It is distinguished by its compact size and low spreading crown. The diameter of an adult plant usually does not exceed 100 cm. The shape of the crown is wide and slightly flattened (it is often compared to a pillow). The color of the bark is yellowish brown.
Barberry Green Carpet begins to bloom in late spring. Inflorescences are several single flowers, gathered together. The color of the flowers is red outside and deep yellow inside. Fruits have an elongated shape and pink or red hue. The ripening period of the fruit of barberry Green Carpet - the beginning of autumn. After the leaves from the bush fly, the berries remain on the branches for a long time, decorating the garden during the winter months.
Also to the description of the barberry Thunberg Green Carpet should be added that this perennial plant, shrub can grow on the site for 45-50 years.
Planting and care
Barberry is a rather unpretentious shrub - for most species, habitat conditions are completely unimportant. The plant adapts well to environmental conditions and is able to grow and develop in any place. If it is possible to choose a landing place for barberry Green Carpet, you should give preference to areas that are open to sunlight but protected from sudden gusts of wind.
Preparation of seedlings and planting area
For beginners, amateur gardeners are usually recommended to buy ready-made barberry saplings Green Carpet. If we are talking about a plant with open roots, before planting, it is recommended to lower the roots of seedlings into liquid fertilizer for a couple of hours. If the seedling grows in a pot, then 15-20 minutes before planting it is plentifully watered with water, so as not to damage the roots during extraction.
As for the land, neutral soil is well suited for barberry Green Carpet. But at the same time it can adapt well to an alkaline or acidic medium. To improve the quality of acidic soil, it is recommended to pre-fertilize with lime or wood ash.
It is better to prepare the wells for the barberry Green Carpet in advance - 5-10 days before disembarking.
Experienced gardeners are advised to follow simple rules when planting barberry Green Carpet varieties, which will help the plant to quickly adapt to a new location:
- separate seedlings should be located at a distance of 2 m from each other, and when creating a continuous hedge - 50 cm;
- barberry age of not more than 3 years old are planted in holes of 25 x 25 cm in size, more adult specimens in wells of 40 by 40 cm in size;
- disembarkation is made in April to be in time before bud break;
- if the soil at the landing site has a heavy dense structure, it is worthwhile to prepare in advance a special soil mixture - superphosphate or sand with soil and humus;
- before planting barberry in the wells, it is necessary to prepare drainage from sand or broken brick;
- barberry seedlings varieties Green Carpet placed in the hole, gently straightening the roots, and sprinkled on top of the soil or finished soil mixture, and then watered (a bucket of water for one plant).
Watering and feeding
As for the care, the barberry variety Green Carpet is quite unpretentious and undemanding in this regard. The plant does not require abundant watering and does not tolerate waterlogging.Attention! An important rule of watering is to prevent water from entering the leaves.
In the first year after the planting of the barberry barium, Green Carpet can be dispensed with the addition of additional fertilizers - the supply from the soil mixture should be sufficient for this period. In the future, for fruiting, after the completion of flowering, you need to feed Green Carpet potash-phosphate fertilizers and re-make them at the end of the season.Tip! Once in 2-3 years the barberry should be stimulated with a solution of urea at the rate of 25-30 g per bucket of water.
An important stage in the care of barberry bushes Green Carpet - their timely pruning. The first year the plant is allowed to adapt, and, starting from the next, they prune twice. The first is done at the beginning of summer, and the second at the end. The branches of the plant are pruned by about 50%. You should also not forget about sanitary measures - in a timely manner remove dried or too thin shoots.
Barberry Green Carpet pruning is carried out with the help of a pruner or garden hacksaw. We should not forget about protective gloves, as spines can hide under the leaves of barberry. First, remove the extra shoots from the ground, and then spend the formation of the crown.
Preparing for the winter
The most important thing for barberry Green Carpet in the winter is to protect the roots from frost. In order to protect the plant, in the autumn they spend hilling up to a height of 10-12 cm.
In general, the variety Green Carpet tolerates winter well. If a lot of snow is expected according to forecasts, then the bushes can be left unclosed. If the probability of a cold, snowless winter is high, then you should take care and cover the barberry with spruce branches.
There are several ways of breeding barberry Green Carpet. They are all quite simple and convenient. To choose the right one, you should read them in more detail:
- With the help of seeds. Ripe berries are harvested, seeds are removed from them, disinfected in a solution of potassium permanganate of weak concentration and dried. The prepared seeds are planted to a depth of 10 mm on a temporary garden bed, and in April, sprouts dive, leaving a distance of 3-4 cm between them. When the seedlings reach 2 years, they are transplanted to a permanent place. It is also possible the option of spring planting of seeds, in which case they must be kept in wet sand or coconut substrate for 2-3 months at a temperature of + 2-5 ° C.
- With the help of cuttings. Preparation for reproduction begins in early summer. Remove the foliage from the cuttings, leaving only a little at the top. After that, cuttings are placed in a container with a solution of root for several hours in order to stimulate the development of the root system. The prepared material is planted on a temporary bed. During the first weeks it is very important to ensure that the soil is sufficiently moist. After 2 years, young bushes can be transplanted to a permanent place.
- With the help of layering. In early spring, choose the strongest escape and put it in a specially prepared groove with a depth of not more than 10 cm, fixing in this position. In this case, the end of the escape should be above ground level. The place where the roots will be formed can be slightly scratched to speed up the process. In the fall, the resulting seedling is transplanted to the planned location.
- With the help of the division of the bush. This method is well suited for such undersized varieties as Green Carpet. For breeding suitable bushes at the age of 3-6 years. In April, the bushes are completely removed from the ground and, trying not to damage the root system, are carefully divided into parts with a garden hacksaw. Slices are recommended to process a weak solution of potassium permanganate or charcoal. Parts of the bush are seated in a new place.
Diseases and pests
This variety of barberry is famous for its fairly strong immunity and resistance to many diseases found in ornamental shrubs. However, there are also such diseases and pests that can harm the plant.
An important measure for the prevention and care of the barberry variety Green Carpet is the treatment of aphids and peppered moths. Aphid settles on the lower part of the leaves of the plant and multiplies very quickly. As a result, the leaves begin to dry and fall off, and the shoots are bent. Under such conditions, next year new buds may not appear on the plant. In stores you can buy special preparations for spraying, preventing the appearance of the pest.Tip! Among the popular methods of prevention is very common spraying a solution of soap or tobacco in the middle of spring
Moth eats berries barberry. In the fight against it are very effective drugs fufanona or decis.
Among the diseases of great danger is powdery mildew, which is caused by the type of fungus. It appears as a whitish bloom on the shoots and leaves in early summer. If you do not pay attention to this feature, the fungus will ripen in a season and, after overwintering, by spring will spread even further. In the end, this will lead to the death of the bush. Save the plant from the disease will help the timely use of special fungicides, which can be purchased at garden stores.
Another nuisance that can happen to the barberry is leaf spotting. The fungus infects the leaves, on which dark spots begin to appear, with time the shoots die. To avoid the disease, it is necessary to spray the bushes with copper oxychloride in the spring and after flowering.
Bacteriosis caused by pseudo-manas often occurs. Otherwise, this disease is also called bacterial cancer. In the photo of barberry Green Carpet, you can see that the bacteriosis is manifested by cracks on the shoots.
If such signs appear, remove the damaged branches immediately to prevent further spread of the disease. Spraying solutions in this case will not give the desired effect.
Barberry Green Carpet is perfect for decorating the dacha or backyard. Growing and caring for him does not deliver much difficulty even novice gardeners.