Hawthorn hedge is used in the design of the site as an element of decorative design solutions. Carries a functional load, the bush is used to protect the territory. The culture has a variety of hybrid ornamental varieties, allowing you to create a low fence or a fence up to 5 m in height.
Application of hawthorn in landscape design
Hawthorn refers to the perennial deciduous shrubs. Suitable for large areas and small areas. Species differ in the structure of the shoots, color of flowers and fruits. Decorative hawthorn is used to design the territory as:
- berry plant with bright red, yellow or black fruits;
- deciduous culture, which by the autumn changes the color of the crown to spectacular red and yellow shades;
- blooming shrub with large flowers: white, pink, rich red flowers.
On the site culture is grown tree or shtambovoy form, in the form of an ornamental shrub. The design uses a single landing or group, in the photo below is an example of a hawthorn hedge.
Decorative hawthorn is used as:
- Separating element zones parcel.
- Hedges along the edges of the garden path to create an alley.
- Background shrubs near the walls of the building.
- The decoration of the edge in the park area.
- Background on rabatkah, center flower beds.
- In combination with coniferous plants.
- Create a variety of decorative forms or strict dominant accents.
- Design solutions for the design of recreation areas.
High hawthorn hedge is used as a disguise of sanitary zones in public places. It serves as a good screen for wind and polluted air of megacities.
Attention! Shrub densely studded, dense planting will protect the area from the penetration of animals.
How to choose hawthorn grade for hedge
Culture has a large number of decorative varieties, for arranging a hedge with hawthorn with their own hands choose a shrub, taking into account the functionality and characteristics of the plant:
- to protect the site fit a high-growth appearance;
- if the purpose of the design direction, choose shrub, amenable to cutting, short:
- there are a number of species that prefer sandy soils or loamy, slightly alkaline, for others the composition of the soil is not critical;
- differ in shade tolerance and drought tolerance;
- take into account the growth feature: tree, shtambovoe, shrub.
How fast does a hawthorn hedge grow?
The perennial crop planted on the site has been growing for several decades at a permanent place. The first 3 years does not require constant crown formation, the annual growth is within 20 cm. After 5 years, the increase is up to 40 cm. Depending on the type, it blooms for 5-8 years, the grafted ornamental varieties bear fruit earlier. A hedge of 2 m in height can be formed 8 years after planting, cutting off side shoots.
Hawthorn varieties for hedge
To create a hedge planted species with a pyramidal crown. In the composition, as a single element, take varieties with a lowered (weeping) crown. A list of varieties of decorative hawthorn and their photos, popular with professional designers and amateur gardeners, on.
The species belongs to deciduous ornamental trees and shrubs, another name is Songar hawthorn, Dzungarian hawthorn. It grows up to 6 m in the Central part of Russia, in the south - up to 8 m. Frost-hawthorn (-270 C) Grows on slightly acidic, slightly alkaline, loamy or sandy soils. It has a high back-forming ability. The plant is shade tolerant, does not require constant watering. Peak decorativeness during flowering and fruiting.
- main trunks are light gray, dark cherry branches, 10 mm spikes;
- wedge-shaped 7-lobed leaves, carved along the edge, 3 cm long, light green with a gray tint;
- inflorescences complex, 4.5 cm in diameter, white flowers, 1.2 cm in size, pink anther;
- fruits - 1.5 cm, round, dark maroon with white patches, yellow flesh.
Fruits in 7 years, the fruits ripen in late September. It is used for ordinary planting, hedges, in a group.
The representative of ornamental trees, Hawthorn Fan-like grows along the banks of rivers and on flat terrain. Found in the Arkhangelsk, Oryol regions. Multiple tree 6 m high
Description of the plant:
- branches are upright, winding, brown with a green tinge, intense studding, spines - 10 mm, young shoots are light gray;
- leaves are wide at the base, tapering upwards, up to 7 cm long, carved along the edge, dark green;
- inflorescences complex, density - 12 flowers, white flowers, light pink anthers;
- fruits in the form of an ellipse, saturated red color, yellow flesh.
Hawthorn blooms in mid-May, for 6 year vegetation. The fruits ripen in early October. Tree undemanding to the composition of the soil. Prefers open solar sites, drought-resistant. It is used for planting in a row, creating a hedge, in composition, as a single plant.
Hawthorn Spot is a type of ornamental trees and shrubs, up to 10 m. The crown is dense, the first circle of branches forms low from the ground. The tree is sprawling, with short central trunks, the branches are located horizontally.
Appearance of decorative hawthorn:
- perennial branches of dark gray, young brown, spines rare, up to 7 cm, with a curved end;
- leaves are large, whole, dark green; in autumn they change color to bright orange;
- white flowers, large, with yellow or red anthers;
- fruits are round, 12 pieces on a bunch, drilling or yellow color.
Fruits in October, prefers loamy, neutral soil. Frost resistance is average. It is possible the freezing of young shoots. It is used for a single landing, array, hedges of security value, for landing in a row.
Hawthorn Peristonadrezanny representative of ornamental trees and shrubs, belongs to the Far Eastern species. It grows in the form of a spreading shrub with a height of 4.5 m, gives a growth slowly. Fruits in 7 years in mid-August. Frost-resistant culture. Fertile, drained soils are necessary for full vegetation.
The leaves, flowers and fruits give decorativeness to the shrub:
- the plant has a high seed-forming ability, shoots and perennial branches are dark gray, spikes are rare;
- drooping inflorescences, large flowers - 1.3 cm, white or cream-colored petals;
- leaves are dark green, from mid-summer they change to yellow, and by autumn they turn red.
- fruits are large - up to 1.5 cm, pear-shaped, saturated red.
The plant does not tolerate shade and drought. It is used for decoration of garden, park areas. Well prone to pruning when forming a hedge.
An ornamental tree, less often a shrub, the hawthorn of Almaty, belongs to undersized species, reaches a height of up to 5 m. A plant with wide branching, the crown is formed low from the ground, pyramidal shape.
- perennial branches are dark brown, young shoots with a smooth structure, dark beige, spines rare, hard;
- flowers are large, 8 pieces each in inflorescence, pink or cream color;
- leaves are large, dissected with teeth along the edge;
- berries are bright red in the stage of technical ripeness, when ripe they change to black color.
Historical homeland - Kyrgyzstan. The plant is light-loving, tolerates moisture deficiency. Unpretentious to the composition of the soil, medium frost resistance. It is used in the design of the territory as a single plant, in a group, as a background hedge.
Five-hawthorn hawthorn (Five-column hawthorn) refers to ornamental trees and shrubs. It grows in the Crimea, in the Caucasus, reaches up to 8 m in height. Growth gives intense. The frost resistance is average, the culture is demanding to the composition of the soil (slightly alkaline, sandy). Used in the hybridization of ornamental varieties.
- the crown of the correct pyramidal form, perennial branches are brown, gray shade, spines are small, numerous;
- leaves are dark, green on top, lighter in tone at the bottom, widely wedge-shaped, carved;
- flowers are large with white petals, burgundy anthers;
- fruits are large, black, with a glossy shade.
Used in the array, in group plantings, as a hedge.
Smooth Hawthorn (Ordinary, Prickly) is a type of ornamental trees and shrubs, deciduous culture up to 6 m in height. The krone is thick, oval in shape, the increase is up to 25 cm.
Description of the plant:
- perennial branches are brown, greens with smooth bark, but the thorns are small, straight;
- the leaves are wedge-shaped, with a toothed structure along the edge, of a saturated green hue, in the autumn of bright yellow;
- flowers are large, 10 pieces each in inflorescence, white;
- fruits are oval, bright red, glossy.
The culture has hybrid decorative forms with red, combined (white, pink), crimson flowers. The color of the fruit is yellow or red. Hawthorn frost-resistant, unpretentious to the composition of the soil, can grow on rocky terrain. Use for arrangement of a hedge, landing by group or in a row.
Decorative pink hawthorn is represented by several hybrids.
Most popular and commercially available:
- Paul Scarlet - blooms bright, crimson hue, double flowers. It grows up to 4 m. It can grow as a shrub or stam tree. It grows slowly, a slight increase. Frost-resistant, unpretentious variety in agricultural technology, used for landscape design.
- Flora Pleno - with large double flowers blooming. The time of ornamental plants - the flowering period. The color of the petals from pale pink to burgundy with white blotches. Flowering time - 21 days. It is used as a single-stemming tree, as well as landing in a row. Frost resistance is average, prefers moist fertile soil.
- Toba hybrid - begins to bloom in early summer, the flowers are large, white in color, over time they become pink, terry. The plant does not produce fruit, in autumn the crown acquires a fiery orange tone.
Comment! Culture is used in design techniques for the construction of a protective, hedge, hybrids are not used.
The undersized ornamental shrub grows up to 80 cm. It is used to create a low hedge, the first plan. Blooms profusely with pink flowers from the beginning of June. The fruit gives a large, edible, bright orange color. Thornless variety, shoots smooth, dark brown. The plant tolerates shade, frost-resistant, prefers moderate humidity, excess water is undesirable.
The hawthorn grows in the form of a branchy tree, up to 6 m high or a spreading ornamental shrub with a spherical crown.
- leaves are rounded, large, rigid, with a glossy surface, with teeth along the edge, dark green;
- branches are numerous, thin, gray (closer to black) tint, strongly studded;
- flowers are large, white, 2 cm in diameter;
- dark maroon berries, large.
View winter hardy, tolerates drought. The most common variety for growing hedges. There are varieties of hybrids with double flowers of white, red or pink flowers.
Grows in the form of a tree or shrub up to 8 m.
Description of the plant:
- the crown is dense, the branches are dark gray, the shoots are light green, as they grow, they turn crimson;
- thorns are short, numerous;
- leaves are feather-like or dissected with carved edges;
- flowers are large, completely white;
- berries of medium weight, bright orange.
It blooms in late May, bears fruit in early September. Decorative grade light-loving, unpretentious to the composition of the soil, frost-resistant, tolerates gas pollution of urban air. It is used to create a high hedge.
How to plant hawthorn fence
Planting hedges in the temperate zone is carried out in the spring, after heating the soil. In the southern regions - in spring and autumn. The soil is prepared from October: they dig up the plot, if necessary, neutralize the composition with dolomite flour. Planting material is chosen by age of 3 years with intact root and shoots.
- Make a recess 60 cm wide - 55 cm, in the form of a solid trench.
- At the bottom of the layer poured (15 cm) of peat and turf soil, mixed in equal parts.
- Planting material is placed with an interval of 1.3 m, covered with soil.
- To preserve moisture near each seedling hedge make a hole.
- Water, mulch with peat.
The root neck is deepened by 4 cm.
Hawthorn hedge care
After planting a hedge, the plant is cut off completely, leaving 15 cm of the main trunk, during the summer the culture will give young shoots. To form the crown of hedge begin after 3 years, shorten last year’s branches by half, young - by 2/3. Remove damaged shoots, give a hedge the desired shape, the tip does not touch. The upper line is cut when the hawthorn reaches the desired height. After 5 years pruning is carried out twice, in early June and in October, shoots protruding beyond certain boundaries are removed.
Feed the ornamental plant for the 2nd year of the growing season. In the spring of organic matter, in the fall, after loosening the root circle and removing weeds, they bring in fertilizers containing potassium and phosphorus. Water the hedge up to 3 times, taking into account that the top layer of the soil is not dry, and do not allow waterlogging. The frequency of irrigation depends on summer precipitation. Adult plant tolerates moisture deficiency, watering moderate.Tip! Warming for the winter culture is not required, rather mulching with peat, sawdust or dry needles.
The hawthorn hedge gives an aesthetic look to the facade of the building, serves as a decorative element in the design of the gardens and the site. Planted culture in order to protect the territory from invasion from the outside. Trees and shrubs lend themselves well to pruning. The plant requires standard care: watering, feeding, pruning.