Barberry wine is a wonderful drink, the first memories of which date back to the period of the Sumerians. Already at that time, connoisseurs knew that the liquid could not only intoxicate, but also cure all sorts of diseases. The drink has a rich red-burgundy color, sweet-sour taste and unforgettable aroma. After the first tasting of wine prepared by yourself, a person will do it already annually, since the result is worth the effort and time spent.
Barberry berries, like drinks made from it, are rich in vitamin C. Therefore, it can be used to treat colds, relieve fever and increase immunity. The composition of the fruit also includes acids (malic, tartaric, citric), glucose, fructose and other beneficial substances.
A moderate intake of homemade barberry wines will help improve blood flow, remove toxins from the body, and maintain youth.
Subtleties cooking barberry wine
To prepare the wine at home using fresh or frozen barberry. It is recommended to pick berries in late autumn after the onset of the first frost. Under the influence of low temperature, fruits become softer and sweeter, which will save on sugar during cooking.Attention! Raw materials must be carefully selected, leaving only ripe fruits. Even 1 spoiled barberry can ruin a whole jug of wine.
When cooking wine without adding yeast, fruit washing is not necessary, so as not to remove natural yeast from their surface. To avoid the appearance of mold in the drink, you need to carefully handle wine containers. The container is washed in boiling water or sterilized. Be sure to wipe dry. And also for kneading the future of wine using a large wooden spoon.
In the wine from the barberry, you must add a large amount of water. This is due to the fact that the fruits of the plant are incapable, have little pulp. But sugar or honey must be added more than in the usual grape wine, as the barberry is quite sour. To improve the taste and flavor of the drink, in addition to the main ingredients, added to it are spicy herbs (mint, lemon balm, vanilla) or citrus zest.
Barberry wine recipes at home
There are various recipes for the preparation of alcoholic beverages from the barberry. The most popular are:
- wine with barberry yeast;
- yeast-free wine;
- mead with barberry;
- sweet and sour liqueur;
- thick liquor.
Each of these drinks will surprise with their taste even the most demanding connoisseur of alcohol.
Homemade barberry wine with yeast
Making homemade wine will take a long time, but the result is worth it.Attention! Only in a recipe using yeast, the berry is washed before cooking.
- barberry (fresh or frozen berries) - 1.5 kg;
- wine yeast - 1 pack;
- sugar - 1 kg;
- water - 6 l.
Recipe for making homemade barberry wine with yeast:
- Carefully sort out the berry.
- Wash the material with running water.
- Pour the berries into a convenient container (it is better to use glass containers, but enamel, plastic, plastic dishes will also do).
- Peremyat fruit with the help of a pusher (some owners use for this purpose food processor or meat grinder).
- Dilute the yeast according to the instructions.
- Add to the barberry 0.5 kg of sugar and prepared yeast.
- Knead the mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the bucket with gauze folded in several layers.
- Remove the bucket for 3 days, choosing a dark place for fermentation.
- In the morning and evening, the future of the wine must be mixed.
- On day 4, strain the liquid through cheesecloth. Maximum squeeze juice from the berries. Used fruit to throw out.
- Take a prepared 10 l bottle with a wide neck. Fill it with liquid for 2/3 volume. Add 250 g of granulated sugar. Mix thoroughly until completely dissolved.
- Hermetically clog the bottle with the future wine. To do this, you can use a homemade water seal, a special capron cover, purchased in advance, or a rubber glove.
- Remove the container in a dark place for 5-6 days for re-fermentation. The fact that the process is correct, will be seen on the raised glove.
- Remove the glove. Using a small hose to collect 0.5 liters of fluid in a separate container. Add to wine 250 grams of sugar. Dissolve it completely. The resulting syrup is poured into the bottle.
- Tightly corking capacity. Leave it for 1-2 months for ripening wine. It can be seen that the drink is actually ready for the fallen glove and the resulting draft.
- Drain the young wine. The precipitate is not needed, it is drained separately. Try the wine. If necessary, add to it more sugar.
- Already you can pour the wine on the neck of the container. Reapply glove. Remove for 2 weeks.
- Drain without sediment in the bottle to the top. Tightly corked. Remove (suitable cellar or other cold place) for aging for 3-6 months. Regularly tara browse. When sediment appears, pour off the wine.
- Bottled, serve.
Important! Barberry wine has healing properties, it has a tonic, astringent, bile and diuretic effects, and has a beneficial effect on the digestive system.
Barberry unleavened wine
For the preparation of such a wine, instead of yeast, a special starter is used, made at home 3-4 days before the main process.Tip! Sourdough can be made from fresh berries that do not have large bones (grapes, raspberries, strawberries, currants). And also for these purposes they use raisins.
- barberry - 1 kg;
- water - 5.2 l;
- raisins (unwashed) - 100 g;
- sugar - 1.2 kg.
Cooking homemade sourdough:
- Pour into a glass liter container raisins, 1 tbsp. sugar and 1 tbsp. clean water. Mix.
- Cover with gauze. Remove to a dark place before fermentation.
- Filter with gauze. Throw out used raisins.
The preparation of the wine itself takes place according to the standard scheme described above.
Mead with barberry
This drink has a great soft taste and a small alcoholic degree.
- barberry - 300 g;
- water - 2 l;
- natural honey - 3 kg;
- ready yeast - 300 g;
- additional ingredients (nutmeg, cinnamon, hops) - to taste.
- raisins - 200 g;
- sugar - 60 g;
- boiled water - 375 ml.
- Prepare a 0.5 l glass bottle.
- Fill it with unwashed raisins, sugar and cooled water.
- Make a cork out of cotton. Cork. Put in a dark place for 4 days.
- Strain, removing sediment and berries.
Mead preparation method:
- Barberry and honey pour water.
- Boil the liquid for 20 minutes.
- Remove the resulting foam.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Add leaven to the future mead and additional ingredients to your taste.
- Put to wander for a week.
- Filter, pour into convenient containers.
A warning! Drinks made from barberry, have their own contraindications. They are forbidden to use pregnant and lactating mothers, people suffering from diabetes.
From the fruits of barberry, you can prepare more strong drinks. The pouring turns out fragrant and will be the decoration of the holiday table.
- fresh barberry (frozen) - 200 g;
- dry barberry berry - 100 g;
- Vodka 40% (moonshine or brandy) - 0.5 liters;
- granulated sugar - 100-200 g;
- water - 50-100 ml;
- medium-sized orange peel;
- carnation - 2-3 buds;
- Cinnamon - 0.5 sticks.
Recipe for making barberry liqueur:
- Fold the berry in a glass bowl.
- Pour selected alcohol. Cork.
- Put in a dark place for 2 weeks. Shake liquid every 2 days.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon and orange zest.
- Remove to a dark place for another 15 days. Do not forget to regularly shake up future liqueur.
- Filter the liquid with gauze. Berries and spices thrown away.
- From water and sugar (1: 2) in a saucepan, prepare a syrup. Keep on low heat for 3-5 minutes. after boiling. Foam to shoot. Cool the syrup to room temperature.
- Connect the infusion with syrup. Pour into convenient bottles. It is advisable to keep in a cool place.
Prepare a tart, volatile and very healthy liquor is quite simple.
- barberry - 1 kg;
- granulated sugar - 50 g;
- alcohol (50%) - 1 l;
- vanilla - 1 pod;
- dried ginger - 1 small piece.
Preparation of thick liquor:
- Prepare a glass jar (2 liters).
- Fill in the container frozen fruit of barberry, vanilla, sugar.
- Pour alcohol. To cover with a lid.
- Remove for 1 month in a dark place.
- Fluid filter. Berry squeeze and remove.
- Pour into convenient bottles.
- Insist another 30 days.
A warning! This liqueur is taken exclusively for medicinal purposes.
Terms and conditions of storage
For fragrant wines and homemade barberry infusions, it is best to use glass containers. To avoid damage to the product, it is necessary to strictly follow all the rules for preparing drinks.
Homemade alcoholic beverages should be stored in a cool place, while clogging bottles well. Then barberry wine and tinctures will stand up to 3 years. It is believed that the shelf life can reach decades, but drinks are so tasty that they do not reach this time.
Barberry wine is a fragrant drink that will not leave indifferent any of the guests at home. It is important to remember that it has both beneficial properties and has contraindications. Wine, tincture and liquor prepared at home with caring hands will warm you up during the cold months.