The favorite of the last seasons was selected in Italy, strawberry variety - Jolie. Appearing a decade ago, this variety is not very widespread and has not gained incredible popularity, but Jolie really deserves attention. This garden strawberry was developed as a productive variety with beautiful and even berries, which could not be better suited for sale. Jolie has a lot of advantages for which she is loved and appreciated not only by private gardeners and gardeners, but also by owners of large farms. There are strawberries and some disadvantages, which is better to know before buying and planting seedlings.
A detailed description of the strawberry variety Jolie, photos and reviews of those who have already planted it in their own areas, can be found below. Here it will be told about the recommended planting of this garden strawberry and about the care it needs.
Characteristics of strawberry Joly
Scientists from the Italian nursery began working on a new strawberry variety as early as 2004. After a series of tests and tests, the new variety was named Jolie and was presented as a variety with medium ripening times, high yields and large beautiful berries.Attention! Jolie was originally developed for large industrial farms engaged in the cultivation of strawberries to sell fresh berries. However, today this variety is actively used by medium and small farms, it is known and loved by simple gardeners and gardeners.
The “parents” of the new strawberry are Clery and Darselekt, although in these species only some genes are similar. Jolie belongs to the non-repair varieties, but pleases with long-term fruiting - for three weeks on the bushes ripen new berries, the dimensions of which practically do not change.
Description of a grade of strawberry Jolie:
- wild strawberries with medium ripening periods - the berries begin to sing in early June (a few days after the related variety Clery);
- Bushes look very similar to Clery, they are sprawling and tall;
- leaves on strawberries are large, glossy, slightly downward;
- bushes well leafy;
- peduncles are located below the level of the leaves, they are quite powerful and large;
- bushes throw mustache, which breeds strawberries Jolie;
- the root system of strawberries is powerful, well developed, so the variety is vitality, seedlings quickly take root after planting in the ground;
- berries are large, have the shape of a regular cone;
- fruit size is almost the same, they weigh about 20-35 grams;
- by the end of fruiting, the size of the berries is somewhat shallow, but not significant;
- the strawberry is red and has a glossy surface with well visible yellow seeds;
- the neck of the berries is practically absent, at the stage of technical maturity the tip of the fruit may be white or greenish;
- in full maturity, the berries are painted in a uniform saturated red color;
- the pulp of strawberries Jolie homogeneous, without cavities, juicy and dense at the same time;
- strawberries taste sweet, with a slight sourness, there is a very pleasant aroma;
- the taste qualities of Jolie are highly valued, the variety is considered dessert;
- the variety is suitable for transportation and short storage - the berries do not "flow" and do not crumple;
- the variety is resistant to leaf plate diseases and root rot;
- the yield of the variety is quite high - at the level of 800-900 grams from each bush.
Important! The productivity of Jolie varieties, of course, varies depending on the conditions and region of cultivation, but strawberries always give a stable crop of high-quality berries.
Advantages and disadvantages
Probably, any variety or hybrid has both strengths and weaknesses. So the strawberries Jolie distinguish their pros and cons, although the gardener's feedback on the variety is mostly positive.
So, the advantages of Jolie variety are as follows:
- multifaceted and very pleasant taste of the berry, which is considered one of the best among the varieties of Italian selection;
- the shape and size of the berries - strawberry smooth, rather large, beautiful, regular conical shape;
- good transportability - the berries do not crumple, do not flow, withstand long-term transportation and storage;
- immunity to rot and fungal infections of leaves;
- drought tolerance makes it possible to grow strawberries even in the southern regions, and in the central part of the country Jolie feels excellent at all;
- unpretentiousness to the conditions of cultivation and to the composition of the soil (on the poor soils Jolie requires only more frequent and abundant dressings);
- the grade does not need difficult agrotechnology - strawberries need standard care;
- winter hardiness allows you to safely grow Italian strawberries in the Russian winter.
Attention! It is impossible to call a drawback the average productivity of the Jolie variety (if we compare it with other foreign hybrids of the sweet berry). The productivity of strawberries largely depends on the quantity and, most importantly, on the quality of fertilizing, that is, it is important what kind of fertilizer the gardener uses (humus, nitroammofoska, nitrate or modern special complexes).
The disadvantages include the low arrangement of peduncles, as a result of which the berries often touch the soil. However, the Jolie variety is resistant to decay, which means that in this case only insects and the unaesthetic appearance of berries stained with earth threaten the strawberries.
Jolie strawberry variety is grown in the same way as other varieties of Italian or French selection. For strawberries, it is important to choose a suitable place in the garden: the site should be well lit by the sun, not blown by strong winds or drafts, contain soil with neutral acidity. It should also be remembered that specifically the Jolie variety does not like too moist soil, so you should think about the drainage area.
From the time of planting young seedlings will depend on how soon the strawberries begin to bear fruit. If you plant Jolie in the spring, then in the current year she will not give a normal harvest - you can only count on a couple of flower stalks from each bush.
In order for the strawberry to actively bear fruit the next season, it is necessary to plant it in the summer, moreover, as early as possible. If you grow your own seedlings from rooted whiskers, planting time is scheduled for the end of August or the beginning of September. The most important thing is that before winter the strawberries have time to form flower buds - then next summer you will be able to harvest a full-fledged harvest.
Tip! Purchased seedlings in cassettes planted even earlier - in July or at most in early August.
A plot for planting strawberries is prepared in advance: they spread humus or other fertilizers on the ground and dig up the soil to a depth of at least 25 cm. After that, when the earth settles, you can make holes for seedlings.
Given the sprawling bushes varieties Jolie, seedlings are recommended to plant with an interval of 25-30 cm between plants. Total per square meter should be no more than 4-5 strawberry bushes.
Saplings pass into the wells together with the earthy clod, then lightly sprinkle with dry earth and tamp. Finish the procedure of planting irrigation and laying mulch layer. It is recommended to use peat, sawdust or straw as mulch.Important! Growing strawberries Jolie in the tunnels or under the film shelters allows you to get earlier yields.
How to care
Reviews about Jolie strawberries, left by domestic gardeners, allow us to develop a care plan for the temperate climate of Russia. It is very easy to care for Italian strawberries, because it is extremely unpretentious:
- Feed the bushes with mineral complexes during flowering and fruit formation - in the middle of spring. Without adequate nutrition, or on poor soils, Jolie may be waiting for a disease such as chlorosis. In the autumn it is allowed to use organic matter (humus, mullein, wood ash, bird droppings, etc.).
- Jolie likes water, but strawberry moisture is dangerous, so it’s better to use drip irrigation systems. Per square meter of land will need about ten liters of water.
- In the fall, strawberries are not mown, but simply remove the dry or infected leaves to prevent the spread of infection.
- To ensure that the strawberry yield does not fall, it is necessary to remove the extra mustache, since there are a lot of them. For reproduction it is recommended to allocate the most productive uterine whiskers.
- Before frost, Jolie bushes must be covered with agrofibre or a layer of organic mulch. In early spring, shelter is removed so that flower buds do not stray.
FeedbackValentina Pavlovna I saw a strawberry of Jolie variety on a neighboring plot; I liked tall bushes with beautiful glossy berries. Seedlings acquired in cassettes - it is very easy to transplant it to the site. Before planting the land fertilized with humus, as the soil is scarce. Strawberries began to bear fruit next summer (I planted it last fall), although there were very few berries. But a year later, we managed to collect about 800 grams from each bush. For me, the advantages of the variety are the yield, unpretentiousness to the composition of the soil and the attractive appearance of delicious berries. Of the minuses I can note the dependence of the harvest on the number of dressings and infection of bushes with rot in a rainy summer. Despite everything, in three years the whiskers multiplied their Jolie by about 3-4 times.
Photos of evenly stained jolie strawberry berries look like pictures from a reference book for a gardener. The aesthetic appearance is not the only merit of the variety, the farmers note the average yield of strawberries, its unpretentiousness and great taste.
Jolie is ideal for medium and small farms, it can be successfully grown in the dacha and garden private areas. But for industrial scale today there are more productive varieties of foreign and domestic breeding.