Usually, homemade wine is well kept at home. To do this, simply place it in a cool place. But what to do if you have prepared a lot of wine and just do not have time to use it in the near future. In this case, it is necessary to pasteurize the drink for better preservation. In this article we will look at how pasteurization of wine is carried out at home.
How best to save wine
Sugar in wine is an excellent nutrient medium for many bacteria, it helps to ferment wine. But at the same time, sugar can cause some unpleasant consequences. Wine can go bad or get sick.
This drink most often has the following diseases:
- rancid, due to which the wine becomes cloudy and loses its original taste;
- Zwel, which spoils the taste of the drink and forms a film on the surface;
- obesity is a disease after which the wine becomes viscous;
- Acetic souring is characterized by the appearance on the surface of the film and the appearance of a specific acetic taste;
- turn during which lactic acid decomposes.
To prevent these diseases, it is necessary to take a number of measures. There are three ways in which you can maintain the taste of wine for a long time. The first option is to add potassium pyrosulfate to the wine. This additive is also called E-224. Alcohol is also added to the wine along with it, and then pasteurized. However, this option is not entirely desirable, since it is not environmentally friendly. This substance will kill all the beneficial properties of your drink.
The second option is more acceptable, and practically does not affect the taste of the wine. True, the wine will become noticeably stronger. So we consider only the third option, which does not change neither the flavor nor the taste of the drink. Pasteurization of wine takes a little longer, but the result is worth it.Tip! That wine that in the near future will not be used is pasteurized. It is necessary to select only those bottles that you definitely do not have time to open.
What is pasteurization
This method was invented by Louis Pasteur another 200 years before our time. In honor of Louis and was named this wonderful way. Pasteurization is used not only for canning wine, but also for other products. It is not inferior to sterilization, just different process.
If during sterilization the water must be boiled, then in this case it should be heated to a temperature in the range of 50-60 ° C. Then you just need to maintain this temperature for a long time. As you know, with prolonged heating, all microbes, fungal spores and molds simply die. The main advantage of this method can be considered that this temperature allows you to save useful properties and vitamins in wine. Sterilization completely destroys everything useful in the product.
Let's also look at some more modern ways of pasteurization:
- The first one is also called instant. It really takes very little time, or rather, just a minute. The wine should be heated to a temperature of 90 degrees, and then quickly cooled to room temperature. Such a procedure is carried out with the help of special equipment, so it will be difficult to repeat it at home. True, not everyone approves of this method. Some argue that it only spoils the taste of wine. In addition, the wonderful aroma of the drink is lost. But not everyone pays attention to such statements, so many still use this method and remain very pleased with the results.
- Those who oppose the first method usually use the method of prolonged pasteurization of wine. In this case, the drink is heated to a temperature of 60 ° C. And the product heats up for quite a long time (about 40 minutes). It is very important that the initial temperature of the wine is no more than 10 ° C. Then this wine enters the pasteurizing apparatus and raises the temperature. Then this temperature is maintained for a long time. This method does not affect the taste and aroma of the drink, and also retains almost all the useful properties.
If your wine has been stored for some time, then it should be checked for film or turbidity. Also in such a wine precipitate may form. If the drink is dimmed, then it is first clarified, and only then you can proceed to pasteurization. In the presence of sediment is necessary to drain the wine and filter. Then it is poured into clean bottles.
Next you need to prepare the necessary fixtures. The pasteurization process involves the use of a large pot or other container. At the bottom should put a metal grill. You will also need a thermometer, which we will determine the temperature of the water.Attention! Bottles may remain clogged during pasteurization.
Wine pasteurization process
A large pot is placed on the stove, but so far the fire is not turned on. First of all, you need to put a lattice on the bottom. On top of it spread prepared wine bottles. Then pour water into the pan, which should reach the neck of the filled bottles.
Now you can turn on the fire and watch the temperature change. It is necessary to wait until the thermometer shows 55 ° C. At this point, the fire should be reduced. When the water heats up to 60 degrees, you will need to maintain this temperature for one hour. Even if you have large bottles, the pasteurization time does not change.Important! If the water is suddenly warmed to 70 ° C, then it is supported much less (about 30 minutes).
To maintain the required temperature you need to constantly pour cold water into the pan. This is done in small portions. At the same time, watch the thermometer indicators. Do not pour water on the bottles themselves.
When the necessary time has elapsed, you will need to turn off the stove and cover the pan with a lid. As such, it should cool completely. When the bottles have cooled, remove them from the container and check how well they are plugged. After pasteurization, in no case should air get into the wine bottle. If the wine is badly closed, then, most likely, it will simply deteriorate and all your labors will be in vain.
This article showed that the pasteurization of domestic wine is no more difficult than the sterilization of other blanks. If you are making this drink yourself, be sure to take care of its safety.