Drinking bowl for bees is an indispensable thing in the care of these insects. After all, they want to drink every day - especially during the appearance of bee brood.
In the spring and winter, the beekeeper installs such a device at a stationary apiary. It is worth considering the features and types of bee structures, as well as the rules for their installation and pay attention to the photo of the drinking bowl for bees with your own hands.
Do bees need drinkers
As you know, honey bees always want to drink plenty of water. Therefore, in the absence of a natural source (a stream, a river, a lake or a pond) near the bee apiary, an apiary drinking bowl of 0.7–3 l is constructed in this place.
In such constructions every day should be a certain amount of water. Their volume increases or decreases depending on the season:
- in the honey collection one family of bees drinks 300 ml of water for 1 day;
- at the end of the summer, bees consume 100 ml of water in 1 day;
- since September, the bee colony drinks 30 ml of water per day;
- In early spring, insects consume 45 ml of water per day.
When you install the bee drinker with a plastic bottle, the beekeeper ensures that the water is properly fed into this device. This product is installed in an open area. Thus, the sun's rays maintain the desired water temperature.
When installing this design get the following benefits:
- with the daily presence of water in the hive, the bees are always provided with it - they do not need to fly anywhere;
- such a device is made of a plastic bottle that instantly heats up in the sun;
- when water is added to this structure, the beekeeper does not disturb insects in any way;
- the beekeeper assesses the degree of development of the bee colony by transferring water to the hive, without opening it;
- such a structure can be quickly built at a specific site, and the materials of manufacture are low cost.
When installing a similar design for bees, the beekeeper chooses a place that is quickly heated by the sun. In order not to be blown away by the wind, it is placed on a special stand, the height of which is 70 cm.
All bee drinkers are of 2 types: public and individual. The first constructions are containers that are filled with water, and all the bees flock to them.
The second products are set only on small apiaries. Water is supplied directly to each family of these insects.Comment! Individual drinking bowls are often used because their use is more hygienic than the use of public constructions. So beekeepers prevent the formation of certain bee diseases.
According to the method of water supply drinkers are of two types:
- Ongoing. In this case, the water slowly flows from a plastic ordinary bottle or any other container along the board, on which there are several curved canals.
- Dripping. These designs are containers that are closed by a lid with small openings. They are suspended in a vertical position with the lid down over a small tray, onto which water drops drip, and where excess water accumulates. For a large number of flying insects install several such devices.
In winter, the beekeeper builds a heated water bottle. Indeed, at the beginning of spring, insects in contact with cold water freeze, freeze and die. If the sun shines on the street for a long time, then the water is quickly heated in a plastic or glass bee structure.
Depending on the season, beekeepers install 2 types of drinkers - winter and spring. It is worth considering their main characteristics.
In winter, to provide the bees with the necessary amount of water, they use intra-stalk drinkers. In this case, vacuum containers are more often used.Important! Beekeepers fill them with water and do not open the hive. Due to this, when installing vacuum drinkers in the tap hole, beekeepers do not disturb insects and do not harm the bee brood.
In this case, access to water is possible only from the hive. Since this design is transparent, it is easy to maintain the required level of liquid.
In the spring, when the bees leave the hive, beekeepers install external drinkers. In this case, at the place where the sun shines, put a barrel with a slightly opened tap, which is filled with water.
A similar design is placed near the hive. Thus, the bees quickly and independently take as much water as they need.
In early spring, the temperature of the water in the bee water is still cold. When in contact with her sleepy bees are subject to great stress. In this case, there is a significant reduction in bee herd.
To keep the water always warm, beekeepers install small heated drinkers. In this case, more often use a water heater for an aquarium. This device does not boil icy water, and slightly heats it.
A bee water drinker is considered an indispensable container in winter, when bees themselves often freeze and their brood grows. This design has the following advantages:
- it is filled without opening the hive itself; in this case, insects do not disturb the filling of the container with water;
- tight and easy to use;
- access to water is only inside the hive, so insects do not fly out into the cold.
Before installing in the tray, the vacuum structure is filled with water. Such a product is made of transparent plastic through which the level of the liquid is clearly visible.
How to make a drinking bowl for bees do it yourself
With an independent construction, the drinkers use such tools and building materials:
- plastic ordinary bottle, the volume of which is 500 ml;
- clerical knife;
- a piece of foam, whose thickness is 2 cm;
- wide scotch tape;
- a small nail;
As soon as spring comes, the bees fly out of the hive, even in cold weather and, in contact with icy water, become numb. In this case, the beekeeper installs the drinker under the glass case, and as a result, keep the water in it warm for a long time. If the stationary apiary is located far away from the house, in this case such constructions without valves are installed.
Also, beekeepers independently put in common bee troughs from tires for a car and large heated outdoor structures. The first structures are made of tires, which are pre-cut in a circle.Attention! In black car tires, water heats up quickly. When driving down the inside of a tire, the bees drink only warm water.
External large drinking bowls are equipped with a special device for heating - a water heater for an aquarium. Below, under the chute, through which water flows, put a container with stones or gravel.
In this place all the water is collected from the board. Such a reserve tank is used in the event that water is out of a plastic bottle.
Plastic bottle for bees
The simplest drinking trough is made from a plastic bottle. This design is very convenient and compact. Then it is installed near the beehive.
In the manufacture and installation of such drinking bowls perform the following actions:
- From a small piece of foam make a rectangle of this size - 7x12 cm.
- Take a marker and perform the necessary markup. In this case, the large side of the foam plastic blank is divided into 2 parts and in the middle one line is drawn.
- Indent from the edge, equal to 10 cm, and then put another 1 mark.
- The resulting foam piece is divided in half by thickness.
- A bottleneck is screwed into the entire depth at a distance of 10 cm from the edge of the polystyrene rectangle.
- On the other hand, foam blanks are cut to the middle of 50% of the thickness.
- Opposite the bottle with a stationery knife cut a groove of arbitrary shape.
- At the same time, insects are left free at its edges. The width of the gutter is calculated as follows: the width of the adhesive tape minus 10 mm. For example, the adhesive tape width is 60 mm. This means that the width of the gutter is made no more than 50 mm.
- The circumference, which is formed by the bottleneck, is divided into 2 parts.
- Under the slope cut out the one that is directed to the gutter.
- Opposite the board, with a notch, mark with a marker, and then pierce a hole with a small nail.
- Water flows through this place.
- The bottom of the bee structure is completely plastered with construction tape.
- So get a small tank, where the water flows.
- They collect water in a plastic bottle, turn it over and insert it into a pre-prepared hole.
When applying it is necessary to monitor the water level in this bee structure. From time to time you need to wash the plastic bottle from the inside.
After dialing into a bottle of water, it is screwed "upside down" and the liquid immediately goes into the groove.
Drinking bowl for bees helps the beekeeper to protect a large number of these insects from death. To the question of providing them with water in the apiary, every beekeeper must be treated with special responsibility. To solve this problem, the above-mentioned types of bee drinkers are installed - the bees do not become stiff in winter and are always provided with water.