The beekeeper's suit is a necessary attribute of equipment for working with bees in the apiary. It protects against attack and insect bites. The main requirement for special clothing is its complete set and convenience when working. Not the last role is played by the composition of the material and the quality of tailoring.
What are the requirements for beekeeping costumes
Specialized stores offer a large selection of clothing for beekeeping with a different set. When working in an apiary, the suit should be functional, cover the open parts of the body. The main object of insect bites are the head and hands, they must be protected first. The standard set consists of a mask, gloves, overalls or a jacket with trousers. You can wear any clothes, as long as there is no access for the bees. Gloves and a hat with a net for a beekeeper is an obligatory attribute.
Beekeepers give preference to a ready-made fully-equipped set. You can choose a suit of any color, as long as it is in size, does not constrain movement, and is made of quality material. The main requirements for clothing beekeeper:
- The color scheme of the material from which the costume is sewn, calm pastel colors, brightly colored or black fabrics are not used. Bees can distinguish colors, bright colors cause irritation and aggression of insects. The best option is a white or light blue suit.
- The lining should be made of natural fabric that provides good thermoregulation. The main work at the apiary is conducted in the summer in sunny weather, the beekeeper’s skin should not overheat.
- The fabric should not pass moisture. This criterion is especially important if the summer is rainy and work with a swarm is necessary. In waterproof clothing, the beekeeper will feel comfortable.
- To prevent clothing from igniting when using a smoke, choose a fire-resistant material.
- The fabric is smooth, lint-free, so that the bees do not get caught on the surface of the suit and do not squeeze during removal. You can not work in woolen or knitted clothes, on a suit from bees are not recommended folds, the presence of pockets.
- The material must be durable to provide maximum protection.
Beekeeper's protective suit complete set
The necessary equipment for working at the apiary is selected taking into account the type of bred bees. There are several breeds of insects that do not show aggression when invading a hive. In this case, it will be enough mask and gloves, as a rule, the beekeeper does not use a smoker. The main types of insects are quite aggressive; a full set is needed to work with them. The photo shows a beekeeper costume standard.
Beekeeper's overalls - the best option when choosing overalls for the apiary. Fabric for sewing one-piece attribute using dense natural fiber. Basically it is a linen cloth, woven from double strands. Ahead of the entire length of the torso zipper is sewn. It provides tightness, insects will not make the way to the open body under the clothes fastener. In order to protect the cuffs of the sleeves and pants, an elastic band is provided, with its help the fabric fits tightly to the wrists and ankles. The elastic band is inserted at the waist level at the back. There are several options for a suit; in many, the cut takes into account the presence of a mask. It is attached to the collar with a zipper, fixed in front with Velcro. When removing clothes mask folds as a hood. The overalls get on 1 or 2 sizes more than usual clothes that during the work he did not constrain the movement.
If the beekeeper is an experienced, well-studied habits of insects, a beekeeper's jacket can become an alternative to overalls. If the breed of bees does not show aggression, the jacket is used on a hot sunny day, when the bulk of the swarm is occupied in the honey collection. Sew clothes from light natural fabric, chintz, white satin, or light beige. The jacket is equipped with a front zipper or maybe without a zipper. At the bottom of the product and sleeves inserted gum. The gate is standing, when closing the zipper, it fits snugly to the neck or is tightened with a cord. Fit the clothes loose, not tight.
If the beekeeper does not use a standard jumpsuit or jacket, then a hat for the beekeeper is necessary. This is a headdress with wide brim. The beekeeper’s hat is made of fine linen or cotton fabric. In summer, the beekeeper will not feel hot during the work, the size of the fields will protect the eyes from the sun. On the edge of the headdress or only on the front side fix the fabric mesh. The bottom of the grid is tightened in the neck.
The beekeeper's mask protects the head, face and neck from insect bites. Facial grids come in different variants. The most popular designs for beekeepers:
- The mask "Flax" of the European standard is made of linen fabric. Two plastic rings are sewn into it at the top and at the base of the shoulders. They stretch the beige tulle mesh with an average cell size. The veil is inserted not only from the front, but also on the sides, this design provides a large field of view.
- Classic mask made of natural material. Two metal rings are inserted, providing a good stretch. The veil is sewn in a circle, covers the back and front. The bottom ring lies on the shoulders. The mesh is tightened around the neck. In the classic version, black tulle with small cells is used.
- Mask "Coton". It is sewn from cotton fabric with inserted rings. The top ring acts as hat fields. The black veil is inserted only from the front. The sides and back of the fabric.
The standard set of costumes must include gloves. The main bites of bees occur in open areas of the hands. They produce special beekeeper gloves, made from thin leather material or its synthetic substitute. Professional cut of protective clothing provides for a high bell with a rubber band at the end. The length of the sleeve comes to the elbow. If there is no special protection, hands protect:
- tarpaulin gloves;
- household rubber;
Household knitted gloves for work in the apiary are not suitable. They have large weaving, the bee can easily sting through them. If a professional means of protection is replaced with improvised, it is necessary to make sure that the insect does not penetrate into the area of the arms.
How to choose clothes beekeeper
The beekeeper's suit should be one size larger than regular clothing, so as not to create discomfort at work. Clothing must meet hygienic and safety requirements. The main task of workwear - protection from insect bites. You can purchase a ready-made kit or make a beekeeper's suit on the pattern with your own hands.
Overalls of European standard are offered for work at the apiary. There are various options in the trade network, the beekeeper's suit “Superior”, made of dense linen fabric with two threads, is in high demand. The kit includes:
- Jacket with zipper, with a large front zippered pocket and side, smaller velcro. Pockets fit snugly. An elastic band is inserted on the cuffs and at the bottom of the product.
- Protective mesh fastened with a zipper in the area of the collar.
- Trousers with two pockets with velcro and elastic bands on the bottom.
Popular among beekeepers beekeeper costume "Australian". The overalls are issued in two options, overalls and the two (jacket, trousers). The costume is made of modern fabric "Greta". The uniqueness of the material is that the polyester thread is located on top, and the cotton thread is on the bottom. The fabric is comfortable in hygienic terms, waterproof, fire retardant. Cuffs on sleeves and trousers with elastic. Three volumetric velcro pockets are sewn: one on the jacket, two on the trousers. The mesh is in the form of a hood, two hoops are sewn into it, the front part of the veil is zipped in a circle. The design is very convenient, at any time the beekeeper can open his face.
How to sew a beekeeper costume with your own hands
You can sew a suit to work in the apiary by yourself. To do this, get a fabric of natural fiber: coarse, cotton, linen. Color white or light beige. The cut is taken taking into account that the product will be two sizes larger than regular clothing. It will take a zipper length from neck to groin and gum, if it goes to the jacket and pants, measure the volume of the hips, multiply by 2, add the cuff of the sleeves and trousers. Sew a beekeeper costume with their own hands.
The drawing shows a pattern of overalls, a separate suit is made on the same principle, only divided into two parts, the gum is inserted into the pants and the bottom of the jacket.
Mask for the beekeeper with his own hands
The mask for working with bees can be done independently. To do this, you need a hat made of lightweight material, suitable fabric or straw. Be sure to have wide, hard margins so that the grid does not touch the face. You can take the borderless, then you need a metal hoop of thick wire. First, a hoop is sewn into the tulle, leaving a supply of fabric on top, which is necessary to fasten it to the cap. Sew a design without gaps that will protect from penetration of insects. The mesh becomes black, suitable mosquito. Step-by-step recommendation on hat protection:
- Measure the hat at the edges of the fields.
- Cut the tulle 2 cm longer (run on the seam).
- Sew small stitches.
The length of the grid is taken taking into account the allowances for free fit on the shoulders. A strap is sewn around the edge for fixation on the neck.
The suit of the beekeeper is chosen at its discretion. Standard equipment workwear: mask, jacket, pants, gloves. The most safe for work is overalls. The main requirement for equipment - protection from the bites of bees.