Due to the pleasant taste with a slight sourness, cranberry liqueur is considered one of the best alcoholic beverages that can be prepared at home. Cranberry liqueur can easily be confused with the tincture, because the cooking technology and the ingredients are similar. There are two main differences: the time of exposure of the tincture is usually limited to a few weeks, but the curing is recommended to withstand at least two to three months. In addition, the strength of cranberry liqueur is usually lower, and the sweetness, on the contrary, is felt stronger.
Traditional cranberry liqueur recipe
Before proceeding directly to the recipe, it is impossible not to say a few unwritten rules for the preparation of the liqueur, which simplify and optimize the process:
- Since a large amount of cranberry juice is necessary for pouring, the berries are slightly frozen before use.
- Insist drink in a dark place at room temperature for several months.
- Of the alcoholic beverages, vodka and purified moonshine are best suited, but technically you can use any alcohol whose strength is 40 degrees, such as rum or brandy.
- Pouring can be prepared using fermentation on wild yeast, without the use of alcohol.
- To any recipe you can add spices to your liking. Do it at the initial stage, after the berries give juice.
- The taste of the drink can be adjusted differently - adding other fruits to the basic list of ingredients.
So, to make the cranberry liqueur according to the traditional recipe, the following ingredients are needed:
- cranberries - 0.5 kg;
- sugar - 0.7 kg;
- water - 0.5 l.
During the preparation will need a water seal.
A water lock, also known as a water seal or valve, is used as a means to prevent carbon dioxide explosions that yeast emit during fermentation. Using a water seal, it is possible to safely remove the generated gas from the tank. In addition, the valve protects the contents from oxygen.
As the simplest water seal you can use:
- Pierced medical glove, worn on the neck. The advantages of this method include: ease of use, low cost consumables, compactness, as well as the ability to determine the end of the fermentation process. The disadvantages are that this method is suitable only for medium volume tanks with a wide neck. To prevent the glove from falling, it is fixed with adhesive tape.
- A thin rubber hose passed through a hole in the cap and lowered into the water. An approximate usage pattern can be seen in the diagram below. The advantages of the method include its reliability and simplicity. The disadvantages - the need to further secure the tube and close the hole in the lid. Usually used for this purpose clay or special seal. In addition, the use of an additional container with water can be inconvenient, especially if there are active animals at home.
This is one of the options for a homemade water seal.
Prepared as follows:
- The berries are sorted, remove small debris and dirt, but do not wash.
- Using tolkushki or rolling pin knead them into a homogeneous mixture.
- Into the resulting mass pour sugar and pour in water, stir.
- Cover the neck with a cloth or thick gauze and leave in a dark place at room temperature for 4-5 days.
- Stir daily with a wooden spatula.
- After the berries ferment, they put a water lock on the jar - purchased or homemade.
- After a month and a half, when the fermentation is over, the liquid is gently drained, trying to touch the turbid bottom sediment. Filtration is filtered and poured into prepared bottles. Insist for a few more months.
- If the strength of the drink seems too low, at the last stage you can pour a small amount of alcohol into the liquor and let it brew.
Alcoholic cranberry liqueur on alcohol
If the recipe, which implies a long-term fermentation, does not suit the cook, you can use alcohol-containing components.
- 0.25 kg of berries;
- 500 ml of water;
- sugar - 0.5 kg;
- 500 ml of alcohol.
Prepared as follows:
- First, wash the berries, carefully sort them out.
- Drain and give the cranberries a little dry.
- Berries pierce the needle or gently knead tolkushkoy or rolling pin and leave for half an hour to go juice.
- Pour in alcohol. At the same time, water is set on fire.
- To the berry-alcohol mixture add warm boiled water.
- Carefully mix the workpiece and transfer the container to a shaded place, where the casting and infused at room temperature at 20 degrees.
- A month later, the brandy is filtered, after which it can be drunk.
Cranberry tincture 20 degrees
Since the tincture and the liqueur are very similar both in taste and in the purpose of preparation, and differ mainly in their strength, a twenty-degree tincture is easily confused with the usual liqueur.
The following ingredients are required for cooking:
- 300 grams of cranberries;
- 250 grams of sugar;
- 150 ml of water;
- 500 ml of vodka.
And also need a sieve and gauze.
Prepared as follows:
- First, the cranberries are sorted, washed and carefully kneaded with a tolcushka.
- Vodka is added to the crushed berries.
- Cover the container with a lid and leave to infuse in a dark place for 5-7 days.
- The sieve is lined with gauze in several layers, put over the pan and carefully filter through it the real mixture.
- In a separate container, sugar syrup is made, cooled, and combined with the alcohol component.
- Bottled tincture of the bottle and leave for another few days.
Recipe for cranberry liqueur on vodka
To make a sweet liqueur on vodka, you need the following ingredients:
- cranberries - 500 g;
- vodka - 1 liter;
- sugar - 1 kg;
- water - 1 liter;
- to taste you can add spices - mint, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, etc.
Prepare as follows.
- Berries are sorted, removing spoiled or rotting, washed and removed the stem.
- Knead tolkushkoy or rolling pin until smooth, as an option - is passed through a meat grinder, food processor or crushed with a blender.
- Add spices and pour in alcohol, mix.
- The container with the liqueur is drawn away from direct sunlight at room temperature for two weeks.
- After two weeks, proceed to the next stage - combine the water and sugar in a saucepan and prepare the syrup. Allow it to cool at room temperature.
- In the pouring pour syrup, mix and again leave to infuse for 10-14 days.
- Then the finished liqueur filter through gauze, folded in several layers. The resulting cake is squeezed and thrown away, and the drink is poured into bottles.
Cranberry liqueur has a rather long storage period - on average, it can be consumed within two to three years from the moment it is prepared. However, if improperly stored, the shelf life may be significantly reduced.
To keep the drink longer, it must be kept away from direct sunlight in a cool place. Therefore, a refrigerator or a cellar or cellar is best suited for storing cranberry liqueur.
Pouring cranberries is very similar to cranberry tincture - both in taste and in the set of basic essential ingredients. Their main difference is “gender”, since it is believed that tincture is very popular with men, and liqueur, like liqueurs, with the fair sex. Another difference could be considered the difference in the strength of the drink, but due to the variability of the recipes, this figure is rather arbitrary.