There are many variations of moonshine - it is made on the basis of sugar, wheat and other cereals, various fruits, and so on. Plum moonshine, also known as plum brandy, is one of the common drink options.
Plum braga: cooking secrets
Making home brew is the first step in the process of making homemade moonshine from plums, and the taste of the future drink depends on its quality. There are various recipes for home brew mash brews: with and without yeast, with or without added sugar. Despite the differences in recipes, one method unites all the methods of preparing plum brandy - the need to carefully select fruits for making home brew, since its taste will depend on their quality.
In addition to the carefully selected fruits, a water lock is needed - a homemade or purchased valve that serves to remove carbon dioxide and also prevents bacteria from entering the container.
It is possible to make a mash from plums on the basis of both purchased yeast and "wild" fruits on the peel. Cooking time depends on the chosen method.
Braga from plum for moonshine without yeast
It is easy to prepare home-made liquor from a plum without yeast, but it takes much more time than when using them.
- fruit - 1 kg;
- water - 1 l;
- sugar (to taste) - 100 g
Prepare this way:
- Prepare the fruit: cleaned of debris, remove the bones. At the same time it is impossible to wash them - otherwise the fermentation process will not begin.
- Knead the fruit into mush (you can grind in a food processor or use a blender) and add water. Add sugar if desired.
- Pour the resulting mass into the tank for fermentation, set the water seal.
- Store in a dark place for 4-5 weeks, until a precipitate falls, and the liquid becomes lighter.
- After that, the liquid must be filtered through folded gauze, and so as not to agitate the sediment remaining at the bottom.
Braga from plum for moonshine with yeast
The recipe for moonshine from plum with yeast - dry or pressed - is not much different from the recipe, which does not include them. The main difference is to reduce the cooking time.
For cooking you will need:
- plum - 10 kg;
- water - 9-10 l;
- sugar - 1 kg (to taste);
- dry yeast - 20 g
The recipe is not much different from the previous one:
- Fruits are washed, remove the bones and knead in a homogeneous mass.
- Add sugar and previously diluted with warm water to the plum mass.
- Pour in water.
- A water seal is installed on the container and removed in a dark place.
- Store 7-10 days before precipitation.
- Before distillation, filter through gauze.
How to drain the mash without sediment
Since it is difficult to filter the home brew in the process of making home-made moonshine from a plum at home through a small filter (pieces of pulp inevitably clog small holes, and it will easily leak through large sediments), two ways of decanting can be mentioned:
- without the use of special tools - that is, simply tilting the container (or, for example, a ladle) - is suitable only for small volumes;
- through a rubber tube, one end lowered into the mash, and the other into the still.
When using the second method, you need to keep in mind several things:
- The tank with braga is located above the distillation apparatus.
- The wider the tube, the faster the fluid flows.
- Before starting the procedure, the end of the hose, which is placed in the distillation cube, is purged.
- The end of the tube placed in the brag must not touch the sediment.
- The hose can be changed to thinner, when the amount of the drink is greatly reduced.
- To reduce the flow rate of the fluid, the hose is clamped.
During the overflow, the distillation tank is not completely filled, approximately one-fourth of the volume should remain unfilled.
A simple recipe for moonshine from plums at home
The classic recipe for moonshine on plum does not significantly change depending on how the mash was prepared.
The following ingredients are required for cooking:
- fruit - 10 kg;
- water - 9 l;
- sugar - 1-1.5 kg (to taste);
- dry yeast - 20 g (optional).
Prepare plum brandy as follows:
- Braga is prepared according to any of the above recipes and left to stand until a precipitate appears.
- After the end of the fermentation process, pour the liquid into the still cube through a filter made of folded gauze.
- Distillation is carried out twice, the first time - to a fortress of 30%. Before the second distillation, plum brandy is diluted, reducing the strength to 20%, and distilled again to a strength of 40%.
- Optionally, the drink is diluted with water, poured and left to infuse for 3-5 days. At this time it is stored in the refrigerator.
Moonshine from plum with pits
You can make moonshine from plums with or without stones. The main difference is the taste of the drink. Alcohol made from fruits with stones, more bitter.
In addition, the fruit with a stone will need more - about one kilogram if their initial quantity is 10 kilograms.
The rest of the recipe does not change much.
- fruit - 11 kg;
- water - 9-10 l;
- sugar - 1.5 kg;
- dry yeast - 20 g.
Make a drink as follows:
- Purify the fruit, wash and knead until a homogeneous mass.
- Yeast diluted with warm water and added to the mixture. Water is poured in, a water seal is set and the fermentation is left for about 10-14 days.
- When the mass stands, pour over the filter into the distillation cube and double-distil, pouring 10% of the liquid flowing at the beginning of the distillation (the second time - and at the end too).
Plum moonshine on pressed yeast
When making plum moonshine at home, there is no difference; use dry or pressed yeast for this. The difference - in their number, it is necessary to press 5 times more.
- plums - 10 kg;
- sugar - 2 kg;
- water - 10 l;
- pressed yeast - 100 g
- Fruits are prepared - washed, removed from the bones (or not - to taste), mashed in puree.
- Sugar is poured into the water, mixed and poured into fruit puree.
- The yeast is diluted in warm water and poured into the mixture.
- Install a water seal and leave to ferment for 10-15 days before precipitation.
- Filter and (simultaneously) poured into a distillation cube.
- Distilled twice, draining the initial and final fractions.
How to make moonshine from plums without sugar
Home-brewed plum wine without added sugar is prepared according to the classic recipe with or without the use of dry yeast. More recipes are no different, but for a better taste it is desirable to take the fruit of sweeter varieties.
It is easy to make home-made plum brew, which is facilitated by the variety of recipes and their variability. The peculiarity of this type of alcohol is that it requires double distillation, because it does not tolerate additional purification. But as a result, it retains the aroma and flavor of ripe fruit.