These gardeners are already thinking about how they will plant seedlings for the next season starting from autumn. After all, much needs to be done in advance: prepare the soil, collect organic fertilizers, stock up on the seedlings' container, select seed material. Planting cucumbers for seedlings is no exception. To eat fresh cucumbers in 2019, the owners are already beginning to prepare for a new garden season. What are the stages of preparation, and what non-traditional methods of growing cucumber seedlings are known today - everything in this article.
How to prepare the soil
As you know, the best soil for cucumber seedlings is a self-prepared substrate. Therefore, since the autumn the owner must determine the place on the site for future cucumbers. The best precursors of cucumber are onions and garlic, but you can re-plant cucumbers in the same place.
This mixture should consist of 40% of the same land in which seedlings will be planted afterwards.
A lot has been said about how to prepare the soil for cucumber seedlings correctly - there are a lot of videos and expert recommendations.
Briefly, this process can be described as:
- On the ground, the top layer (turf) is removed from the plot.
- The soil is placed in a linen bag and placed for one month in the cold (so that frost can kill all weeds and diseases).
- The rest of the time, the soil should be kept warm, in the ground not only harmful, but also beneficial microorganisms develop, it must be rotten.
- Before planting seeds in the ground, sand, peat and sawdust are added, this will give it the necessary friability and nutrients.
- A few days before sowing cucumbers, the soil is watered with a weak solution of manganese.
How to prepare seeds
Seeds for cucumbers should be chosen not fresh, from the last harvest, but two or three years old. Almost all of the seeds today are treated with fungicides and antibacterial substances, so that their action is maximal, the seeds need to be bought fresh.
If the owner prefers purchased seeds, they are best purchased in late winter or early spring.
When planting seeds on seedlings follow the following rules:
- first, seeds of early parthenocarpic or self-pollinated hybrids are sown in pots, which are then planted in greenhouses or greenhouses;
- After 2-3 weeks, you can sow the seeds of bee-pollinated cucumbers intended for open ground.
What plant cucumber seeds
In 2019, there are not expected any new products among the containers for cucumber seedlings. Standard methods:
- disposable plastic cups;
- paper pots for cucumbers;
- peat cups;
- pills from peat.
About how to use disposable cups, probably, everyone knows - in order to transplant them their seedlings into the ground, the containers are cut.
Glasses from peat are also no longer considered exotic, you only need to crush the containers before planting in the ground so that they decompose faster and do not interfere with the growth of the roots. You can learn how to use peat tablets from the video instructions:Important! The peat cups often dry up the soil, this is due to the fact that the peat absorbs too much moisture. In order not to allow "thirst" for cucumbers, the cups are placed in a plastic pan, where excess water will accumulate, which the plants will eat.
Now there are a lot of workshops and videos on how to grow seedlings in unconventional ways. Among the most popular are the following:
- Planting cucumber seeds in egg shells. In principle, this method does not differ much from the standard method of growing seedlings. The only difference is that in a small shell the plant will not be able to stay for a long time, its roots will not fit in the container. Against the usual 3 weeks, such seedlings will grow on the windowsill only 7-10 days, but this period is sometimes enough to get the very first, early cucumbers as quickly as possible. Planted seedlings along with the shell, this is an advantage of the method - the roots of cucumbers will not suffer during transplantation. Only the shell needs to be gently stretched so that the roots can sprout through it.
- Seeds in diapers. "Diaper" made of polyethylene, cutting it into small squares. A little earth is poured on one corner of such a square, a cucumber seed is placed there and a little sprinkling of earth is placed on it. Then the "diaper" is rolled up and tied with a rubber band. Now you need to put this bundle vertically in a low long box and wait for shoots.
- Cucumber seedlings in sawdust. For this method, you need to take the usual flower pots or plastic trays, at the bottom of which lay a plastic wrap. From above to fill in sawdust, which you need to pre-pour boiling water. Put cucumber seeds at regular intervals into the recess and cover with sawdust. Sawdust must be constantly watered to maintain their moisture, and fertilized with cow dung dissolved in water.
- In newspapers. One of the most economical methods is seedlings planted in pots from newspapers. From newsprint paper, you just need to roll up the cups and plant cucumber seeds in them, as in a regular container. It is necessary to transplant cucumbers into the ground right with paper cups, only it is necessary to take into account that after getting wet the newspaper breaks very easily - the transplant must be done very carefully.
Here's a video about planting seeds in a shell:
Planting seeds in cups and caring for seedlings
Pour the soil into prepared glasses or pots and pour it with warm water. Now you can put germinated seeds there. They are carefully transferred to the ground and sprinkled with a small layer of soil.
Now it is better to cover the cups with polyethylene and put them in a warm place. The film will create a "greenhouse effect", adjust the humidity and keep the temperature. In such conditions, the seeds germinate faster - the first shoots can be seen on the third day after planting cucumbers.
The film must be removed when the first shoots appear. If you miss this moment, seedlings will turn yellow and become frail. When the cucumbers begin to grow, the ground will need to be poured into cups several times.
It is very important to monitor the soil moisture and the temperature in the room. The optimal condition for cucumber seedlings is the temperature - 20-23 degrees.
Also, seedlings need to be lured several times:
- When the first leaf appears.
- On the day of the appearance of the second sheet.
- 10-15 days after the second feeding.
Fertilizers for feeding seedlings are sold in specialized stores, but it can also be prepared independently: superphosphates, bird droppings, potassium sulphate and ammonium nitrate. All this is mixed and added to the soil with seedlings.
When to sow and plant seedlings
In 2019, as in previous seasons, many gardeners pay attention to the lunar calendar. The following days will be favorable for sowing cucumber seeds in the future season:
All farmers, without exception, need to take into account the climate in their region and the growth rate of certain varieties. If we consider that the seedlings of cucumbers need to be transplanted into the ground for 20-25 days after sowing seeds, the schedule will be as follows:
- for greenhouses and greenhouses without heating, it is necessary to sow cucumbers for seedlings on March 7, 11, 19 and 20;
- for the southern regions, in the conditions of landing on high ridges with a covering film, seeds can be sown in pots on April 8, 9, 10, 16 and 18;
- for open ground without a covering material - May 7, 9, 17 and 18.
In the season of 2019 is not expected any special innovations and rules for growing seedlings of cucumbers.Tip! The main thing to remember is that it is possible to plant seedlings into the ground only when the plant has developed strong roots and two dark green cotyledon leaves have grown.
And about new ways and exotic methods of growing cucumbers can be found in the video: