Kalina has a rather specific taste that everyone doesn’t like. Its inherent bitterness does not allow the use of berries for some dishes. However, you can make a wonderful compote, which will be a real find in the winter. Next, we consider some options for making this healthy drink.
To prepare compote of viburnum for the winter you need to read some tips:
- Most do not like it bitterness viburnum. Therefore, I would like to preserve the aroma and taste of berries, but get rid of their inherent bitterness. It turns out to be very simple. Simply leave the viburnum in the cold. These berries are not advised to pluck before frost. If you can’t wait, you can simply put the berries in the freezer for a while. The result will be the same.
- But even after treatment with cold bitterness does not completely go away. Therefore, do not feel sorry for sugar while cooking compote. Syrup for this compote is prepared in proportion 1/1, how much water, the same amount of granulated sugar.
- Properly cooked kalyn compote has a high concentration of juice and sugar. For this reason, it should be diluted before use.
- Kalina is an incredibly healthy berry that contains vitamins A, E and ascorbic acid. But still, it can hurt. For example, this berry can greatly lower blood pressure, which affects blood clotting. Those who are going to perform any operations in the future or have problems with blood clotting are forbidden to drink such a drink. Those who have low blood pressure, as well as pregnant women compote of viburnum also can not drink. Children drink from the berries give with great care and in small quantities. But the hypertensive viburnum compote will be very helpful.
- It can be rolled up for the winter and stored for a long time. To do this, cooked compote is poured into sterilized jars and rolled with lids, which are pre-boiled in water.
Recipe for viburnum compote
A three-liter jar will need the following ingredients:
- two kilograms of viburnum;
- 750 grams of granulated sugar;
- 750 ml of water.
- Viburnum berries must be poured into a colander and immersed directly in it in cold water.
- Then boil water in a large saucepan and lower berries for 2 minutes along with a colander.
- Colander set aside to drain excess water. Meanwhile, the table is covered with paper towels and berries are poured on them.
- While viburnum dries you can sterilize the cans. Then in the prepared container shift the berries.
- 750 ml of water is boiled in a saucepan and sugar is added to it in small portions. It must be thoroughly mixed to make the syrup uniform.
- Viburnum is poured over the still hot syrup.
- They put a saucepan on the fire, into which it is necessary to put a towel or a wooden board. So much water is poured into it so that it reaches the banks of the hangers. Put the jar with compote in this pan and cover with a lid on top.
- Sterilized compote need at least 30 minutes. Banks of smaller volume are sterilized 10-15 minutes less.
- When the time has elapsed, the bank is taken out with a special tack. Then it rolls and set aside until cool. In this case, the container should be wrapped in a warm blanket. When the compote is completely cool, you will need to transfer it to a suitable cool place for further storage.
Attention! Open compote can be kept in the refrigerator for no more than 3 days. If you do not have time to drink such a volume during this time, it will be better to roll the drink into smaller cans. Keep in mind that it still needs to be diluted.
Compote of viburnum and apples
This recipe is designed for a can of 3 liters. To do this, you need the following components:
- half a kilo of apples;
- 300 grams of viburnum berries;
- 500 grams of granulated sugar;
- two liters of water.
Prepare the drink as follows:
- Berries should be washed and dried, as in the previous recipe.
- Apples are washed, cut out the cores and cut into small slices or another convenient way.
- The required amount of water is poured into the pot and brought to a boil. All sugar is poured there. The syrup is stirred until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Next, add boiled apples and viburnum to the boiling syrup. The contents are brought to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Then the hot drink is poured into a sterilized jar or into several smaller containers. After that, the container is rolled up with a sterilized lid and wrapped optionally.
- After cooling, containers are transferred to a suitable place for storage in winter.
This recipe does not provide for sterilization. It has a fairly rich flavor with a slight apple flavor, but not as concentrated as a compote of viburnum. Before drinking drink can be diluted with water.
Viburnum compote with oranges
Ingredients for three-liter capacity:
- one and a half kilograms of viburnum;
- half a kilo of orange;
- 750 ml of water;
- 1 gram of vanillin;
- 750 grams of granulated sugar;
- 5 grams ground cinnamon.
The cooking process is as follows:
- Oranges must be washed and cut into semicircles. From them you need to remove all the bones.
- Viburnum berries are washed and dried on a paper towel. As an option, viburnum for a few minutes can be placed in the oven.
- Water is boiled in a large saucepan, sugar is added there, and it is completely dissolved.
- After that, chopped oranges, viburnum, vanillin and ground cinnamon are thrown into sugar syrup.
- Contents boil until the moment when the berries begin to burst.
- Then the drink is poured into the cans and rolled up with lids. Of course, everything must first be sterilized.
- Banks overturn and leave to cool. The containers are then transferred to a cool place.
Tip! Oranges in the recipe can be replaced with a glass of juice. Thus prepared, compote must be diluted with water before use.
In this article we examined the benefits and harm of viburnum. Sure, those who are not contraindicated to these berries will definitely enjoy the compote of it. To prepare such a drink can be of the most affordable ingredients. Be sure to try!