Growing Bulgarian pepper in the harsh climate of Siberia is difficult. However, if you make every effort, observing certain conditions of care - it can be done. In the climatic conditions of Siberia, it is much more difficult to get good seedlings from seeds. It must be constantly covered with a film from a cold snap or planted in greenhouses. It is best for Siberia to take early seeds of pepper. In the short summer they will have time to bring the harvest. Choosing seed material must pay attention to the packaging. Seeds of Bulgarian pepper suitable for cultivation in Siberia will be labeled with the appropriate inscription.
A few rules for sowing pepper seeds
In order for the seeds of the pepper to sprout well, and healthy seedlings come out of them, you must follow the basic rules of agricultural agricultural technology. Experienced gardeners are advised to do the following:
- The last decade of February is the best time for sowing pepper seeds for Siberia. The choice of such an early period is determined by the long germination of seeds. The first shoots on the surface of the ground peck around the middle of the fourth week. Plus, by this time it is necessary to add 45 days of growth of the seedlings themselves before planting them in the ground.
- Growing peppers starts with the selection of suitable varieties. We will talk about them further. Seeds need to be purchased in specialized stores. It is better if the gardener has his own seed collected from last year's harvest. Such grains have a high germination rate, since they have already adapted to local conditions. If it is decided to grow hybrids, then such seeds will only have to buy.
- Any even the highest quality seeds do not give 100% germination. Poor grains before planting are detected in salt water. The consistency of the solution is prepared about 5%, placing the seeds there for about 10 minutes. Good grains under their weight will sink to the bottom of the tank with salt water, and the pacifiers all float to the surface. They will need to collect and throw away.
- Salt water is drained together with good seeds through cheesecloth. The remaining grains in gauze are tied with a bag, washed with clean water, then dipped in a 5% manganese solution for half an hour. Prepared seeds are laid out on a plate covered with cotton or several layers of gauze, periodically wetting until they are full. Usually this happens in a week. As soon as the grains hatch and small germs appear, they are planted in containers. The bottom of the tank is covered with expanded clay. It is needed for drainage. Prepared soil with nutrients is better to buy ready.
It is important! Experienced gardeners are advised to sprinkle in the containers the surface of the soil with wood ash. She will save seedlings from fungal diseases.
- Seeds are placed in a moist ground no deeper than 2 cm. Optimally cover the soil from above with a 5 mm layer of river sand. Containers tightly covered with a transparent film and put in a warm dark place.
After the sprouts appear, the film is removed from the containers and placed on the lit place. The seedling must receive a maximum of light, otherwise the plants will be drawn out.
On the video you can see the sowing of seeds:
New Siberian varieties
It is time to choose the best varieties for Siberia. For clarity, we will consider them with photos, but I would like to start with new products.
This variety of pepper breeders bred in Western Siberia. Culture refers to the early period of maturation. A stunted plant grows to a maximum of 50 cm in height. The shape of the fruit resembles a small keg. In the initial stage of ripening, the peppers are white with a greenish tinge, and upon reaching maturity they turn bright yellow. The flesh is juicy, up to 8 mm thick. The ripe vegetable weighs about 200 g. The culture is considered to be high-yielding, and its fruits have an excellent presentation.
Another new crop variety bred by Siberian breeders. The plant feels good in open and closed beds. The bush is strong and branched, but not high. Maximum plant grows 60 cm in height. Mature peppers are large cone-shaped with a truncated end. Up to 15 peppercorns can grow on one bush. Saturated red fruit with juicy pulp 8 mm thick weighs about 250 g. With 1 m2 You can collect 5 kg of crop.Important! The culture is resistant to bad weather conditions. Heat, cold spells or rains do not affect yields.
The unusual Siberian dark brown vegetable is called chocolate because of its coloring. However, the pulp of ripe pepper inside is red. The plant grows to a maximum of 80 cm in height. By the time of ripening culture refers to the mid-early varieties. The juicy flesh 6 mm thick is very tender and has a specific bitter flavor. Pepper of this variety grows well in open and closed beds.
This pepper was bred on the basis of a popular hybrid and adapted to the Siberian region. By the time of ripening, the variety belongs to mid-early crops. Plant average height of a maximum of 75 cm in height. Fruits of rich yellow color are very large. Some specimens can weigh 0.5 kg. The flesh is very juicy, about 10 mm thick. Up to 14 peppercorns can grow on 1 bush.
Separation of the best varieties by ripening time
The gardener himself determines the best varieties of peppers. Now there is a huge number of hybrids of Bulgarian pepper, bred specifically for the Siberian region. However, if a person is new to growing this crop, then until he finds the best varieties for himself, he will need initial help. Here are useful reviews experienced gardeners who helped make the rating.
Early ripening peppers
So, let's begin our review with peppers of the early ripening period:
- Compact bush variety "Kolobok" brings small-sized fruits of green. Peppers on the plant stick up.
- The undersized variety "Topolyn" is probably the most popular in the Siberian region. Mature fruits weigh about 150 g.
- Another popular Siberian variety of early pepper "Montero" brings fruits of a large size. Fruits are considered universal purpose.
- The cultivar of the variety “Edino” is ideal for novice gardeners. The plant takes root and bears fruit even in the worst climatic conditions.
- Selviya yellow peppers have an attractive appearance. The excellent taste of the fruit makes it the favorite of every gardener who has tried to grow it at least once.
Many more varieties can be added to this list, for example, “Latino”, “Pinocchio”, “Dobrynya Nikitich”, etc. It is impossible to list them all.
Peppers mid-ripening period
It is time to smoothly move to the mid-early varieties. These crops also produce good yields of peppers in harsh climates:
- Culture varieties "Swallow" perfectly take root in the open and closed garden beds. Purpose of the fruit is universal.
- The pepper of the variety “Siberian Firstborn” adapted to any weather conditions is distinguished by fruits of small size. Excellent taste allows you to apply the vegetable universally.
- In the open and closed garden beds, the “Gift of Moldova” pepper bears fruit well. The taste of the fruit - sweet juicy flesh.
- Middle Eastern culture "Victoria" is distinguished by the tender pulp of the fruit. The plant brings great yields, is immune to diseases. Ripe peppers are ideal for winter harvesting.
- Despite the harsh climate, the variety “Alyosha Popovich” bears fruit with thin skin. Oblong peppers are considered universal destination.
- Thick-walled peppers of the "Player" variety are very tender and tasty. Mature fruits become red in color.
To the above cultures, you can add peppers "Knight", "Dawn", "Aries", etc.
Fruitful varieties with very tasty fruits
In this subcategory, we decided to make Siberian varieties of peppers with excellent taste of the fruit. After all, every gardener primarily grows peppers for their own consumption, which means that the fruit must be juicy, sweet and meaty. Let's take a look at the rating of crops in this category according to the reviews of gardeners.
Culture refers to the early period of maturation. The first harvest from the moment of germination of seeds can be obtained after 114 days. The plant was originally intended for cultivation in the open field or under a temporary film cover. Adult bush high with powerful branches. Peppers have a standard cone shape and weigh a maximum of 150 g. This vegetable cannot be attributed to fleshy fruits, since their walls are only 5 mm thick, but the excellent taste and aroma of the pulp made pepper a favorite of many housewives. The small size and shape of the fruit are ideal for stuffing.
At the initial stage of ripening, the vegetable has a green color with a yellowish tinge, and when fully ripe, it becomes red. Productivity from 1 m2 is about 4.2 kg. Peppercorns ripen together.Important! If the greenhouse is not heated, the seedlings of these peppers are planted at the end of May at the age of 80 days. Plants are planted on open beds in early June.
Culture refers to the hybrids of the average period of maturation and was bred by Siberian breeders. Pepper has a peculiar form of a cube with 3 or 4 cameras. Mature fruits from green color are repainted in rich red. Up to 15 peppercorns can be tied at one bush at a time. When grown in a greenhouse with a good top-dressing, the fruits grow large, weighing about 450 g. There are individual specimens weighing 0.5 kg. On open beds, peppers weighing more than 400 g do not grow.
When planting seedlings focus on the placement of 5-7 plants per 1 m2. A medium tall plant grows to a maximum of 80 cm in height. About 1 kg of crop is harvested from 1 bush.Important! Culture loves moisture and dressing. Late application of mineral fertilizers will lead to lower yields.
Culture refers to the hybrids of early ripening. It grows well in open beds and under temporary film shelter. Bushes undersized a maximum of 60 cm in height. The fruit is not very large and weighs only 180 g, but the pulp is very juicy, up to 9 mm thick. Peppers are considered universal use.
The culture is consistently fruitful even with a lack of light and cold weather. Seeds begin to germinate at a temperature of 25aboutC, however, increase it more than 28aboutSince not recommended. The first shoots appear after 2 weeks, and after 60 days, the seedlings are planted in the ground. By this time the plant grows up to 20 cm tall, with a maximum of 10 leaves.
The plant is allocated compact bushes up to 70 cm. Peppers belong to the average period of ripening. By yield, this variety can also be attributed to the average, but its rich red fruits are appreciated by thick juicy flesh with excellent taste.
Golden-orange fruit can be obtained by growing crops in open and closed garden beds. Pepper refers to the average ripening period with an average yield. The maximum mass of the fruit is 100 g. Meaty peppercorns of small sizes are ideal for stuffing.
A tall plant requires the construction of a support, as it grows to a height of 1.4 m. Peppers ripen early, changing the light green color to red. Culture is considered high-yielding. The small size of the fruit weighs a maximum of 150 g, possessing fleshy pulp with excellent taste.
To grow Siberian peppers can every gardener. We considered the best varieties of peppers for Siberia, according to experienced vegetable growers. Some people will like them, and maybe someone will find another ideal variety for themselves. The main thing is to strictly observe the agricultural technology of culture and buy quality seeds.
The video presents the best varieties of pepper: