Carrots - tasty and very healthy root vegetable. It is rich in provitamin A, which boosts immunity and is an effective antioxidant. Presented a lot of different varieties. To select the appropriate, you need to take into account the purpose of specific root crops and the purpose of cultivation.
When it is worth buying a late variety
Depending on the variety, carrots can be either orange or yellow, scarlet, lilac or even black. A bright reddish tint is formed due to the high content of carotene. Varieties also differ in shape, size and ripening. If you plan to store the harvest for a long time, it is better to choose one of the late-ripening carrots.
The following are the main characteristics of root crops with a long ripening period.
- Rip for 130-150 days.
- Harvesting takes place in most cases in September.
- Long shelf life without loss of taste.
In addition to varieties, hybrids can be found in the windows. Recognize them by F1. If you collect the seeds of hybrids for the next season, they will not grow a crop with the same characteristics. Experienced gardeners recommend purchasing several types of seeds and see what the result will be.
Late-ripening variety review
In comparison with mid-season varieties, late ones bring not so sweet fruits. As a rule, carrots grow large, stored for a long time.
The name given to this variety is not accidental - the roots grow very large, their length reaches 27 cm. The shape is cone-shaped, the outer surface is smooth. Root crops ripen for a long time - sometimes the term is six months. Have a mild taste, long stored. For best ripening, they need intensive watering and well-fertilized land.
This variety matures faster, it takes 4 months to produce ready for use. Carrot bright color, conical shape. The maximum length of 25 cm. Root crops are universal in use. They are used for juices, salads, canning, as well as for the preparation of children's dishes. They can lie in the cellar for a long time.
Red without core
As the name implies, root crops do not have a pronounced core. This is a productive carrot, it ripens for 130 days. Fruits are crispy, sweet, smooth, rich orange color. The length of one carrot is 20 cm. The variety is well kept, it requires regular watering and loosened soil.
This carrot is characterized by abundant yields and simplicity in the care. Root crops grow very large - about 30 cm. The color is saturated orange, the outer surface is smooth, the shape is cylindrical. The fruits are very rich in carotene. Can be stored for a long time without loss in taste.
One of the later and high-yielding varieties. Forms very large root crops with dense pulp and pleasant sweetish taste. The first harvest can be harvested after 145-160 days. The carrot grows 31 cm long and 4.5 cm in diameter. It is preferable to use this variety for canning, preparing juices or salads. It can be stored for a whole year - until the new harvest.
Queen of autumn
Late cultivar bearing cylindrical shape. Carrots reach a length of 20-25 cm, weight up to 180 g. Has a reddish-orange hue, has a dense and juicy flesh.
MO (Carrot special)
Treats srednepozdny grades with high productivity. Root crops grow cone-shaped, reddish-orange in color. Possess juicy pulp with a pleasant sweetish taste. Can be stored for a long time. Seeds of this variety can be sown in winter.
This late variety brings bright orange fruits up to 39 cm long and weighing 200 g. The shape is cone-shaped, the nose is blunt.Attention! It is believed that carrots with a blunt nose is the sweetest.
Another variety of root vegetables with a blunt nose. The carrot is rather large, the length is 30 cm, the weight is 200 g. The pulp is orange with a dense structure.
Late varieties taste good. Root vegetables can be used fresh or used to prepare various dishes. Most of them have a long shelf life and can last until the next harvest.
A very common variety that bears a cone-shaped fruit. Carrots are short and voluminous with dense pulp of orange color. The mass reaches 300 g, with abundant watering, roots are harvested and 500 g each. The flavor qualities are average. Possible long-term storage.
Most late varieties ripen in 120-140 days from the day the shoots appeared. They resist diseases, are more resistant to low temperatures and persist for a long time - until June.
How to keep carrots harvest
Carrots will lie until the next season, if stored in appropriate conditions. There are a number of ways to create such conditions. They do not require significant costs.
- Storage of carrots in a box with fine filler. As an option, take a box of boards and sifted sand of fine fraction. The box is placed in a cool place, for example, in a cellar. Sand is poured into it with a layer of about 5 cm. Root crops are laid on top of this filler at such a distance so that there is no contact. After the first layer, sand is poured again, carrots are laid on top. The last batch of fruits covered with sand. Onion peel or pine sawdust can be used as a filler.
- Shelter beds with carrots. Although this method will save only part of the crop, the roots will perfectly retain their characteristics. The essence of the method is as follows: when the crop is being harvested, a part of the carrots is left on the beds. Before the first cold, the tops are cut off flush with the soil, sand is poured over the beds and the film is laid. Next, pour a layer of sawdust or other similar material and again cover the film. In such a natural cellar carrots will remain all cold.
- Storage in plastic bags. More this method is suitable for industrial cultivation, but you can try at home. It is important to meet several requirements. Firstly, only root crops with an intact surface can be stored in this way. Before putting them in bags, they are dried well in the shade. In each bag lay no more than 3 kg of carrots. The most important point - the packages can not be tied. This method will keep the optimum level of humidity so that the crop does not rot and wilt.
- The last storage option for whole carrots is clay coating. First, the harvest is sorted and dried. Pure clay, which does not contain any impurities, is dissolved to the consistency of sour cream. Carrots are immersed in this solution. After drying on the roots of the protective film remains. In this form, the harvest can be folded in cardboard boxes or wooden boxes.
Such methods will allow you to save grown carrots until the end of spring - the beginning of summer. From the gardener does not require special labor costs.
How to save prepared carrots
The following method is especially interesting for gardeners who produce modest yields. This is a freeze.
- First, the fruit should be prepared. They are finely chopped using a combine or cut into rings.
- Prepare plastic bags. They must be new.
- Sliced carrots laid out in packages and tightly tied (if possible cook).
- Packages with carrots are placed in the freezer.
This method will help to save carrots for cooking. In this case, the roots will not have to be cut before adding to the soup or side dish.
Which varieties are stored best
Some species may lie until next season. The following are considered the most deadly of the later varieties.
Root crops grow bright orange, cone-shaped. The variety is very fruitful, the growing season is up to 150 days. On average, the length of one carrot reaches 20 cm. The fruits are perfectly preserved until June, without losing either in appearance or in taste. Carrots do not crack. Universal in use.
Another late and high-yielding variety. Designed for long-term storage. One root grows up to 20 cm long, weighs 130 g. It does not crack when ripe, and can be stored until the very end of May. The outer surface is bright orange, the flesh is dense, with a sweet taste. Carrots are versatile in use.
This variety of carrots from Poland is distinguished by high yield, it will lie in optimal conditions until the end of May. The root crop reaches 25-28 cm in length, the weight is about 130 g. It is not bad against fusarium and carrot fly.
Above we described several methods that will help to preserve the harvest to the new season. Leave in the winter can be as whole roots, and prepared and cut. The latter is stored by freezing.
Original late ripe grade
At the mention of the word "carrot" comes to mind the root crop of a cylindrical or conical shape of a bright orange color. In fact, among the late ripening varieties there are varieties that go beyond the limits of this view. The following describes one of them.
Perhaps this is the sunniest of late varieties of carrots. Root vegetables have a bright yellow color and fusiform shape. Their length reaches 20-25 cm, weight about 200 g. Gives a bountiful harvest. Possesses juicy pulp.
Colored carrots are an excellent addition to fresh salads and other home cooking dishes. It will allow you to create original combinations on your desk.
The secrets of growing carrots
At first glance it may seem that growing carrots should not cause difficulties. In fact, here, as in other areas of gardening, has its own nuances. This root is quite demanding to the conditions of growth. To get a good harvest, you should consider these features.
- Before planting carrots need to carefully prepare the ground. They dig up the beds and fertilize them well. As a top dressing use humus or compost. To make the soil easier, it is worth pouring sawdust. They dig up the soil to a depth of about 35 cm. In loose soil, carrots grow smoother. These roots are planted in rows. Therefore, on the garden prepare grooves at a distance of 20 cm from each other. Their depth is about 2 cm.
- When the soil is ready, you can sow the seeds. It is better to first pour them out of the bag in your hand, then spread them along the grooves and cover them with a layer of earth.
- After sowing carrots, soil is recommended to be compacted. You can do it directly with your hand or crush the soil with a wooden board.
- It now remains to wait for the first shoots - they seem for 10 days.
A bed for carrots needs to be prepared on a sunny plot. During the entire growth period, the plants require care. This includes regular watering, soil loosening, weeding and hilling.
What is useful carrots
This root crop has a fairly wide scope. Carrots are actively used in the kitchen: they are eaten fresh, boiled or stewed. It is also used in traditional medicine and home cosmetics.
The prevalence of carrots is due to the high content of a whole series of vitamins: B, C, E, K, PP. It is rich in provitamin A. Mineral substances are also present in the pulp, for example, iron, phosphorus, magnesium and copper.
As you can see, carrots are an important part of a healthy diet. In order to preserve the harvest longer, when choosing seeds, one should pay attention to the “late” mark. Its ripening period is about 130-150 days. Many such varieties are high-yielding. It is worth considering that carrots are quite demanding for irrigation and soil composition. To care for plants will have throughout the entire period of growth and maturation. With properly created conditions, the harvest will continue throughout the winter until the next season.