The lawn on the site in a modern design has become an integral part of any project.
At the same time there are so many opportunities for choice that any conditions are not a hindrance. When there is no time for sowing a classic lawn or you need to refine hard-to-reach areas, roll turf comes to the rescue.
It is grown in special places - in the nursery fields. The area is prepared using special equipment, sowing is carried out, maintaining all the norms. This ensures uniformity and density of grass cover. Lawn mow regularly, fertilize and water. The whole process sometimes takes several years, until the sod grows well. Then the grass and the top layer of the earth is cut by special machines, rolled into a roll and goes on sale. If you need a coating with a non-standard set of herbs, then it will be made on an individual application.
Rolled lawn of fresh grass is supplied only on order, so that the quality of the coating is not affected. This type of coating has several advantages over others:
- He is quite unpretentious. This is due to the fact that the formation of grass cover occurs in the nursery. Therefore, if you correctly approach the period of engraftment, in the future the grass on your lawn will always be lush, velvety and healthy.
- There are no weeds on it. Growing takes place using a special technology, in which weed seeds do not fall into the ground and, accordingly, do not germinate along with the lawn.
- It is convenient to use it in hard-to-reach places and in areas with difficult or uneven relief.
- Roll coating tolerates shading. Regular sowing lawn in such places can have poor seed germination, uneven grass growth, faded color and bald spots. Rolled, already immediately after installation, pleases the eye with juicy grass.
To roll the lawn to meet all the requirements, you need to get acquainted with its main types.
Varieties of roll cover
Coverage is divided into types depending on:
- used grass mixtures;
- the purposes for which it is intended.
With the help of a rolled lawn you can very quickly green the plot or design the territory for specialized use. Therefore, the main types of roll coating are:
- ground floor
Depending on the purpose of the lawn, apply certain grass mixtures. For sports and ground floor, the red fescue is great.
It gives the roll coating elasticity, turf has good strength, herbage has many necessary qualities. It has a beautiful dark green color, smooth, thin and dense structure. It grows evenly after mowing, tolerates mechanical damage, quickly recovers. Not suitable for dry and heavy soils. Red fescue will provide your lawn with endurance and frost resistance.
For decorative lawns a good choice is bluegrass.
Equally behaves in sports fields. Firmly withstands dark areas, great for light soils. The plant is long and efficiently. Herbage is resilient, smooth, dense and uniform. Competent care and favorable external conditions guarantee the preservation of the coating up to 15 years. In addition, the meadow grass is frost resistant. Another culture for sports is pasture ryegrass.
Perfectly withstands trampling, mechanical damage, suitable for heavy soils.
When choosing a lawn, you can ask about the composition of the mixture to make sure it is reliable. The most famous types of turf:
The most common type of roll cover. It is used not only on sites, but also in parks. Resistance to trampling allows it to lay in places for outdoor activities. Therefore, you can safely put a universal turf on the playground or sports ground. For this type of coverage, grass mixtures are grown in which bluegrass, fescue and rye grass are present. Such a lawn has a rich color, it is hardy, tolerates both drought and lower temperatures. It is quickly restored after damages and a hairstyle.
The largest percentage of the mixture for this species is assigned to ryegrass and bluegrass. Such rolls are laid on tennis courts and football fields. The turf in a sports lawn is very elastic and durable, which protects it from tears and ensures long-term use. Basic requirements - thorough preparation of the soil before laying and regular competent care.
This species has the most presentable appearance. Parterre lawn will provide decoration in any part of the territory. However, it has its own requirements for growing conditions, and therefore it is considered more capricious. Shaded and waterlogged places are not suitable for ground flooring. Under these conditions it will not grow, and under ideal conditions you will get a velvety lawn with low grass and uniform color.
Each type has its own characteristics, but ease of operation is inherent in everyone. However, some believe that the grass herbage loses before sowing. The main factors that are most often voiced are:
- Poor survives. So the owner of a site on which there is no system of automatic watering can claim. Rolled lawn should be watered daily and evenly. The second reason is a violation of the styling technology. This includes a bad rolling of the stacked rolls, as well as if the lawn is not combed and flooded with plenty of water after laying. In this case, the process of engraftment is very difficult. The third reason is the abundant use of nitrogen fertilizers before laying. For weak ground it is very stressful. The soil condition will deteriorate, the lawn will be weakened and will not take root.
- Does not tolerate winter. This fact may occur through the fault of the manufacturer. If annual grasses are used for a turf, then the probability that they will survive the winter is very small. In this case, some site owners prefer artificial roll coating.
Artificial grass in rolls - a great alternative to natural lawn. It can be used almost anywhere on the site and even the premises. Where natural grass cannot grow, it is replaced with artificial grass. Designers create amazing designs in homes using artificial grass. It does not cause allergic manifestations, is very convenient in care, does not require clipping and watering, retains its appearance for a year. Such a roll can be laid under the stairs, on stones, cut various shapes. The term of operation of an artificial lawn is much higher, which is especially appreciated by lovers of lawn spaces.
Choosing a lawn correctly
The choice of quality material is half the success. First of all, pay attention to:
- Sod condition For this roll roll out, lift and shake. The plate should not be torn and crumble, after shaking the appearance remains the same.
- Grass quality. Roots must be fresh, not dried. The grass is green, without yellowness, mildew and weeds, exactly trimmed. There should be no signs of disease or severe damage to the plants. Herb color is uniform.
It is best to acquire sod at once for the entire planned plot and with a small margin (about 10%). The percentage depends on the complexity of the configuration of your lawn.
Be sure to check the grass color of each roll. It must be the same, otherwise you will get a striped lawn. But, if this is included in your plans, then choose by contrast. Take the desired volume from one batch. This will give confidence that the mixture will be identical in all rolls. Check with the manufacturer of the mixture of grass to ensure the reliability of the lawn.
We proceed to practice - laying rolls
We have considered all possible options, and now we come to the practical part. How does the laying of the roll lawn?
At first, it should be said that it is possible to lay a rolled lawn during the whole time of plant growth. But the most optimal is the early spring. During this period, the root system is well rooted and your lawn will quickly take root. Why is it important? When cutting a turf, the roots are injured and the grass grows tight. We will have to make an effort to help the grass adapt to the new place.
Laying occurs in several stages.
A week before the planned installation of mineral fertilizers.
Cleaning and soil preparation
They carry out cleaning of weed, construction and household waste, stones, glass. Loosen the ground with a rake, make a mixture of peat and sand (5 cm). Then the ground line. When sowing the lawn irregularities can be removed in the future, for a rolled lawn is more problematic.
Turf rolled out in a straight line. Bends and distortions are not allowed. This will affect the quality of the appearance of the lawn. Each row starts with a whole strip. Pieces can be placed in the corners, but not in the middle of the site. Each roll must be tamped down.
The next roll is rolled, tightly pressed to the previous one. It is monitored so as not to impose rolls on each other. It is necessary to achieve a tight closure.
To make the sod better grown together, fill the joints with soil mixture that suits your soil composition and water it abundantly. Watering should provide moisture not only the rolls, but also the soil. Starting active games on the lawn can be a month after laying.
Rolled herbage requires care, as well as planting. It needs to be watered, nourished, cut. The main advantage is that you do not have to wait until it grows up and in what capacity. This you already see when buying. And with the installation you can handle yourself with the help of useful videos: