Zucchini is a favorite and popular vegetable. There are a lot of possibilities to use it; an excellent dietary taste and nutritional value have made it a permanent resident at the dacha plots. The one who first decided to grow the seedlings of zucchini on their own, looking for answers to questions that arise a lot. When it is better to sow seeds for zucchini seedlings, how to grow healthy zucchini for seedlings, what to do if someone eats seedlings?
Grow zucchini familiar in all ways:
- direct sowing in the ground;
Today we will consider the second option - advantages, technology, nuances.
Benefits of the seedling method
Squashes ripen quickly enough. Seeds sow a vegetable when they do not want to get too early production and try to combine zucchini with other fruits. After all, lettuce or stew with tomatoes and carrots is much tastier than a mono dish. But the rassadny method is spread everywhere. What makes it so popular? The benefits of growing zucchini through seedlings, which are very important. The main ones are:
- Early quality harvest. Competently grown seedling seedlings? gives strong healthy plants that grow quickly, do not get sick and bear fruit well.
- All plants are planted. When sowing in the ground there is no certainty that all the seeds will well grow. You have to sow 2-3 seeds in one well. Seedlings method helps to calculate the exact number of plants for planting.
- The ability to harvest in regions with a cool climate and a short summer period.
- Matching grade. For seedling squash choose high-quality seeds, they are properly prepared, which allows all the characteristics of the variety to appear.
Growing zucchini seedlings requires certain knowledge in order for the result to meet expectations. Let's start with the selection and preparation of zucchini seeds.
Growing seedlings zucchini under the force of even novice gardeners. It is important to adhere to the basic recommendations. Preparation is carried out in several stages. This technology gives confidence that the seedlings of zucchini will be strong.
- We get seeds. You should be familiar with the description and characteristics of varieties of zucchini, choose the most suitable for the climate, soil composition and your capabilities. Some gardeners immediately combine several varieties in the same area with different colors and ripening. It looks decorative and allows uninterrupted harvest of zucchini during the whole season. Absolutely fresh seeds are not used. Plants from such seeds grow very powerful, but yield a much lower yield. They have a lot of male flowers. Good germination have seeds from 2 to 4 years of storage. Zucchini shrubs that grow from these seeds are weaker, but their yield and disease resistance are higher.
- Sort. Under this term is understood check the seeds of zucchini germination. Experienced vegetable growers put zucchini seeds in a filtered salt solution (30 g of salt per 1 l of water). Checkout time is 1 hour. During this time, high-quality seeds are lowered to the bottom of the tank, and empty remain on the surface. The rejected ones are removed, and the good ones are washed with fresh water.
- Disinfecting. Squash seeds are placed in water heated to a temperature of + 50 °. Stand for 6 hours and immediately shift to the cold. The second option is simpler - a month before sowing, the seeds of zucchini for seedlings are placed near the heat source (heater, battery, furnace). Another way is to soak the seeds in an antiviral and antifungal drug solution. For example, Fitosporin-M, a mixture of Alirin-B + Gamar (1 tab. Of the drug per 1 l of water). The treatment is carried out at room temperature for 10-18 hours.
- Stimulate. For this operation, growth promoters are used, which can be purchased in specialized stores - “Zikon” or “Albit”. From popular recipes, a solution of baking soda (5g per 1 liter) and aloe juice is very suitable. Juice is diluted in water (1: 1) and squash seeds are placed for 45 minutes.
Currently, there is a sufficient selection of breeding material and hybrid zucchini, which are not subjected to any treatment before sowing. In this case, planting seeds for seedlings is much easier.
Sowing squash for seedlings without blunders
After careful preparation, the seeds of zucchini seedlings to germinate better. We wrap them in a damp cloth or gauze, wait for 2-3 days and the specimens are ready for planting.
Gardeners love to experiment, so the methods of sprouting zucchini seeds can be very interesting and unexpected. For example, a home mini-hothouse of a plastic bottle. The bottle is cut in half. Each part is shortened to reduce internal space. In the lower part we lay layers of damp cloth and seeds. Cover with the upper part and set in a warm place. Seeds germinate very quickly.Important! Sprouts are so fragile that if their length exceeds 0.5 cm and they are thin, then these seeds are rejected.
Germinated seeds of zucchini on seedlings should be sown immediately. Therefore, many gardeners are limited to the stage of swelling and do not allow the appearance of sprouts. Swollen zucchini seeds can be stored longer and stored in a refrigerator on the bottom shelf.
When do you need to plant squash for seedlings? We determine the optimum time of landing in the ground and count the time for which the seedlings will be ready.Comment! Planted seedlings zucchini under the open sky in late May - early June. Consequently, the term of sowing seeds for seedlings begins from mid-March to early May.
The next stage is planting squash for seedlings. To be where to plant the seeds, preparing the planting soil and capacity for seedlings.
The composition of the soil is chosen optimally in ready-mixed soils, which can be purchased in specialized stores. They contain a large percentage of humus, have a neutral reaction. An alternative is to prepare a mixture for squash seedlings on their own. The approximate ratio of parts:
- Peat - 55-60%, sod land up to 20%, humus 20%, sawdust 10%. To increase the nutritional value, ammonium nitrate (4-6 g), superphosphate (10-15 g), potash fertilizers (6-10 g) are added to the bucket mixture.
- Humus and turf ground (1: 1). It is good to add ashes to this composition (1 cup), 20 g of superphosphate and potassium fertilizer, a little sand.
- Sand and peat in proportion 1: 1.
It is necessary to control the acidity of the soil. With its high value, ash or chalk is added to the soil mixture.
Prepare a container for seeds
We proceed to the preparation of containers for our seedlings. The seedlings of zucchini are tender and sensitive to transplantation. Sprouts can take root poorly or, in general, die. This happens if errors are made during transplantation or the root system is damaged. It is enough to fall apart to whom the ground, so that zucchini roots are torn. Therefore, picking seedlings of zucchini is carried out in rare cases - when large space savings are needed and only with experience in transplanting small plants. Each zucchini through seedlings grown in a separate container. Everything that is on hand will fit - peat cups, juice bags, plastic containers.
The optimum volume of containers varies in the range of 0.5-0.8 liters. The soil mix is poured into it and slightly moistened. The following sequence of actions:
- At a depth of not more than 3 cm, squash seeds are placed with a pointed end down. In one container sow one seed for seedlings;
- Watered with settled water at room temperature;
- Place the container in a room with a temperature of 25-30 degrees above zero until germination. There should be no direct sunlight on the container.
- After the appearance of the first sprouts of courgettes, the containers are moved to the light and a stable temperature regime is established. Daytime temperature not more than + 17º, night - no more than +14 º. If these conditions are not met, the seedlings of zucchini will stretch and will be weakened at the time of transplanting to a permanent place of residence.
- The temperature is increased after the seedlings become stronger. Now it is kept in the range of + 22º during the day and + 18º at night.
What actions are needed in the future? Seedlings zucchini need to be watered, hardened, loosen the ground and feed.
- Loosening - regularly, but very carefully. Any damage is detrimental to tender seedlings of zucchini.
- Watering at least once a week with warm water (20º-22º). The top layer of the earth should be slightly wet and not dry.
- Hardened zucchini seedlings gradually. First, we carry out the ventilation of the room, the next stage we begin to make seedlings on the street. The hardening time is increased gradually, to allow seedlings to adapt to lower temperatures. Before planting for 3 days we leave the containers with seedlings on the street around the clock.
- It is necessary to feed squash seedlings twice before planting. The first time they spill a solution of the drug "Bud." This should be done 8-14 days after the shoots appear. In one liter of water dilute 2 g of the drug and water the plants. For 2 seedlings of squash need a glass of solution. Repeat the procedure a second time 10-12 days after the first feeding. Now you need "Effecton" and nitrophoska. 1 teaspoon of ingredients diluted in 1 liter of water and watering the squash seedlings. Mixture consumption - on 1 seedling there is 1 glass of solution. Many gardeners spend and third feeding seedlings zucchini before planting in the ground. It should be done if during the preparation of planting soil did not make humus and mineral fertilizers.
Planting squash zucchini usually takes place a month after the seeds have been sown. But some summer residents have time to prepare excellent planting material in two weeks. In this case, the container can be taken smaller.
Planting seedlings on a permanent place
It's time to plant our zucchini seedlings.
The seedlings are healthy and strong, so the following actions will be as follows:
The choice of location. Although this point gardeners perform much earlier. Usually, the decision about where to plant the seedlings of zucchini, is made before sowing the seeds. The beds are located on a sunny windless plot.
It is recommended to re-grow zucchini in this place in 3-4 years. A warning! Undesirable predecessors for zucchini - pumpkin, cucumbers, squash.
Zucchini fruit well on the spot where they used to grow potatoes, onions, garlic, cauliflower and cabbage.
Preparation of land for seedlings zucchini in the selected area. It is better to hold in advance. Already in the autumn after harvesting, they fertilize the soil with compost or humus, and they apply fertilizers - superphosphate and potash. The first in the amount of 30 g per 1 square. m, the second - 20 g per 1 square. Then there is a high-quality digging and do nothing until spring. As soon as the snow melts, they loosen the ground slightly and fertilize with saltpeter, 20 g per 1 square meter. m, then dig. Based on the composition of the soil, make clay and sawdust with sand, sand and humus - with clay.
Spring begin to design the ridges. Zucchini occupy enough space. To prevent overgrown plants from interfering with and not shading each other, they maintain a distance between rows of 1.5 m, between each bush - 0.9 m. Organic fertilizers are applied to each well immediately before planting. One tablespoon is enough. Organic mixed with the ground and begin planting seedlings zucchini. It is better to schedule this for an afternoon or an overcast day. Active sun will be destructive for tender seedlings of zucchini.
If, when growing zucchini for seedlings, you sow seeds in peat pots, then they are completely buried in the ground with the plant. Deeper sapling zucchini to the first leaves. With the threat of frost or a decrease in temperature at night, planted squash should be covered. After planting, pour a seedling with a solution of "Agricola-5" in relation to water 1 tbsp. spoon on the bucket. For one hole requires 1 liter of the composition. Seedling zucchini desirable priten for several days, so that the seedlings have time to adapt to a new place.
Attempt to seedlings what to do
Another important question that gardeners often ask. In the squash seedling someone eats leaves and cotyledons. Often, such a nuisance occurs with seedlings grown in greenhouses. Boxes put on the ground, which allows the pest to get to the seedlings.Tip! It is necessary to place containers on stands.
And sometimes this can happen after the landing of zucchini seedlings for permanent residence. Which of the pests are capable of it and how to help defenseless plants?
The main pest in this case are slugs. They are able to destroy all planted seedlings in one night. Go hunting after evening watering. The slug eats much more than you can imagine. If you notice this pest in the beds, you can protect the seedlings of zucchini with ordinary ash or special pellets that are scattered around the seedlings.Tip! Some summer residents put on each seedling parts of plastic bottles up to 10-15 cm in size.
This technique will also save from the bear, which eats the stalks of the zucchini seedlings. More precisely, it does not eat, but cuts.
If a similar nuisance occurs in an apartment, then it may be small pests living in the ground. Therefore, the soil mixture before planting the seeds of zucchini for seedlings must be decontaminated with a hot solution of potassium permanganate. Or buy special disinfectants.
To seedlings squash grown with their own hands, met all hopes, it is necessary to take into account the climatic conditions. Try to pick those varieties of zucchini, which are well zoned in your area. Rescue hybrid species with specially derived characteristics. A short summer involves harvesting early varieties; if the heat lasts longer, medium varieties will do. Do not give up the zucchini. A wonderful variety of zucchini, which will please not only delicious fruits, but also colorful colors.