In recent years, interest in landscape design has clearly grown. And this is not surprising, because today there are a large number of small architectural structures that adorn the local area. One of these buildings is pergola. In this article we will tell you about how you can use pergolas in landscape design and what types of them exist. Plus, we offer you to watch the prepared video, which will complement the whole theory clearly.
Pergola - what is it and why is it
Under the pergola refers to the construction of the type of canopy. It imitates arches of several sections, which are interconnected by crossbars. Pergola can be stationary, as an integral part of the terrace or separately standing in the landscape design. It can be used as a gazebo by installing benches or benches in it. As you can see, this structure acquires a variety of types. In any case, it has repetitive sections, support pillars and arched elements, as well as a grating overlap of the roof and sometimes the walls.
The main and primary task of pergolas in landscape design was to protect from the scorching rays of the sun. It could direct grapes or other climbing plant. But after years, it began to be used in the most different areas, and in particular:
- For zoning land.
- As a decoration of the recreation area.
- Creating a vertical green zone.
- Decorative element.
- Element for masking buildings and other buildings that do not fit into the overall concept.
- Decor for gate, wicket and garden entrance.
Among other things, it is worth highlighting the positive aspects of this structure. Mainly pergola is able to protect the playing playground or other recreation area from the scorching sun. And if it grows climbing plants, the pergola can give the necessary shade on the site. During the rain on her roof, you can stretch a tarpaulin, which will allow you to escape for a short time.
In modern landscape design, pergola plays a key role. So, it is possible to grow table grapes on it. Of course, the presence of a vineyard at the dacha gives greater solidity. Also, the building can close the eyes from curious neighbors or passers-by.
In the construction of pergolas beams, gratings and supports can be used. You can make it from a variety of building materials. For example, some build it from stone, metal and wood. These materials can be combined or used strictly alone. Start from the general idea and concept of your landscape design.
In landscape design, pergola has different designs, due to which it has acquired different types:
- Green corridor. This is a complex structure. You can make it from several arches, which are connected in one tunnel by guides. Mostly such a structure is built above the walkways. From the side it looks very beautiful and spectacular. It is also used for flowers. In such a green corridor you can install the shop. In this case, this tunnel will be used as an arbor.
- Visor. This is another type of pergola. If your windows are located on the sunny side, then the installed structure will create the necessary shadow. Such a visor is mainly made of wood and transparent material. So, it takes most of the sun's rays and does not darken much.
- Screen. This allows you to retire from prying eyes of curious neighbors. Plus, this option is ideally zoned the territory of the landscape plot. In this case, you can read the book in silence and without distractions. Also, such a screen can hide from the eyes of extraneous buildings and structures that have an unsightly appearance.
- Awnings. In this case, the pergola is used as a canopy. Shadow from the construction will make it easier to endure hot weather.
And this is not surprising, because its main function lies elsewhere. However, in any case, it is possible to cover pergolas with protective material, for example, cellular polycarbonate, plexiglas and the like.
If you decide to cover the pergolas with a protective material from rain, then remember that you should not completely cover it. Otherwise, the structure will become an ordinary shed. Accordingly, landscape design to lose such an original construction. Most often, pergola is used to create a vertical "flower bed".
Useful tips and tricks
If you decide to build a pergola on your summer cottage, then rest assured that the landscape design will receive a beautiful decorative element that will be eye-catching. Immediately before the construction is also worth considering a number of features and nuances. So, no matter what material it is made of, whether it is from metal, wood, plastic, aluminum, forging or other materials, it must be strong enough and withstand wind load.
If the structure is wooden, be sure to cover all wooden elements with a protective anti-corrosion compound. This will eliminate its rotting, and also make the wood resistant to the negative influence of the environment. The built pergola should not be an alien element in landscape design. Try to think it over so that it is a beautiful addition to the whole picture. And most importantly - think about its construction so that it will serve as long as possible. If you can choose, then, of course, forged pergolas are much stronger than plastic ones. And if you need a lot of financial costs, the whole structure will be quite reliable.
So, we have examined with you the question of what kind of pergolas are in landscape design, and the photos in this article clearly illustrate this. We and our readers will be interested in what option you chose. Be sure to leave comments at the end of this article about how you implemented this original idea in landscape design.