Diseases adversely affect plant development and reduce crop yields. If time does not take action, the strawberry may die. Folk remedies for diseases of strawberries can eliminate the source of damage, disinfect the soil and plants.
Causes of Strawberry Disease
The cause of most diseases are fungal spores. Their distribution occurs when setting warm weather and high humidity.
The development of diseases of strawberries contribute to the following factors:
- non-compliance with the rules of crop rotation;
- excess moisture;
- too thick planting strawberries;
- lack of care, timely trimming of whiskers and leaves;
- the spread of diseases with strawberry pests;
- wrong choice of place for planting (plants get little sunlight, are in the shade most of the day).
The advantage of folk remedies is their environmental friendliness, safety for humans and plants. Available and inexpensive ingredients are used to prepare solutions. Means are used for spraying the leaves or watering at the root. Below are the main diseases of strawberries and the fight against them by folk methods.
This disease has a fungal nature and is diagnosed as a white bloom on the leaves, shoots, fruits and petioles of strawberries. First defeat covers the leaves located on the ground, then it spreads to the whole bush.Important! Mealy dew reduces the plant's winter hardiness, inhibits it and prevents its normal development.
The disease appears in violation of the mode of watering strawberries, high humidity and warm weather. Thermal drops and increased nitrogen content in the soil can provoke the spread of the fungus.
The following methods will help solve the problem of how to deal with powdery mildew:
- Salt and soap solution. To prepare it, dissolve 50 g of salt and 40 g of any soap in a bucket of water. Processing landings performed every week.
- Whey (1 l) is mixed with 10 l of water, followed by processing strawberries every three days. Instead of whey, you can take kefir or clabber;
- 0.1 kg of horsetail pour 1 liter of water and insist day, then put on a slow fire. The resulting broth is diluted with water in a ratio of 1: 5 and every five days they process the plants. The number of procedures is no more than 4.
- 2 tbsp. l Mustard powder diluted in a bucket of warm water. Processing is carried out by watering or spraying strawberries.
The gray mold fungus feeds on plant residues that are found in the soil. With increasing humidity and decreasing temperature, the pathogen is activated. In the presence of damaged stems and leaves, infection of strawberry occurs.Important! Gray rot is determined by white bloom consisting of mycelium.
The disease can destroy most of the strawberry crop. Planting onions or garlic every 30 cm will help protect strawberries from disease. These plants do not allow spreading by a harmful microorganism.Tip! The traditional remedy for gray rot is iodine, 10 ml of which is diluted in 10 liters of water. Spraying is done in the spring at the beginning of the growth of strawberries, then repeated during the formation of buds.
To combat gray rot and other diseases used infusion of garlic. To prepare it, take garlic leaves or husks, which are poured 5 liters of hot water. Means left for 2 days, then diluted with water in equal proportions and used for watering plants. Mustard powder can be used instead of garlic.
Another way to cure strawberries is a complex solution that includes:
- wood ash - 1 cup;
- chalk - 1 cup;
- copper sulphate - 1 tsp;
- water - 10 l.
The resulting volume is enough to handle 3 square meters. m planting with strawberries.
Another fungal disease is brown spotting, which can destroy almost half of the crop. The first signs of strawberry disease appear during the flowering period.
On the lower leaves light spots grow, which gradually turn yellow. On the reverse side of the leaf there is a brown plaque, spreading the spores of the fungus to neighboring plants.Important! Brown spotting develops at high humidity.
With the defeat of this disease, the strawberry slowly develops and eventually dies. Brown spots first appear on old leaves, after which they are found on young shoots.
When the first symptoms are found, diseased leaves are carefully cut out so as not to disturb the spores located on them. If the lesion has engulfed the plant completely, then it is removed.
To cope with the disease of strawberries help the following tools:
- in a bucket of water diluted whey in the amount of 1 l;
- 30 drops of iodine solution and 1 l of milk are added to a bucket of water;
- prepare pink solution of potassium permanganate;
- 0.3 kg of wood ash is added to a bucket of water, after which the agent is infused for 24 hours;
- 0.5 kg of minced garlic is infused in 10 liters of water not more than a day.
Treat strawberries need spraying. Processing is carried out in the morning or in the evening when there is no direct sunlight, strong wind and rain.
Green mass of strawberries prone to white spot. This is a viral disease that often develops during the growing season. Adverse symptoms may also occur at the fruiting stage.Attention! White spot causes a loss of 30% strawberry.
When white spot lesions have a rounded shape and a light shade. The spots are located on the edges of the sheet, gradually their inner part falls out, and small holes are formed. Over time, the stalk and leaf plate of the plants die off.Important! The disease provokes an excess of moisture, in the presence of which the active growth of the fungus begins.
At the first signs of spotting reduce strawberry feeding with nitrogen. Potassium fertilizers will help to strengthen plant immunity.Tip! Protecting plants from white spot will help remove whiskers, old leaves and mulch, which is often inhabited by pathogens.
An effective method of dealing with spotting is spraying strawberries with iodine solution. On a bucket of water requires 30 ml of iodine. Processing is exposed to the leaf part of the plant. For spraying apply a solution of ash, which is pre-insist day.
Fusarium develops with weakened immunity of strawberries, high humidity of the air and soil, lack of fertilizers or temperature fluctuations. When the fungus spreads, the vessels of the plants become blocked. As a result, strawberries fade and die.
Important! The lesion covers the root system, then rises to the stems and leaves.
First, lower leaves of strawberries wither on which light spots appear. When the temperature drops to 15 degrees, the plant may die.
The affected plants must be removed and burned outside the garden. To prevent the disease by observing the rules of crop rotation, soil treatment and strawberry seedlings with iodine or garlic solution.
For the prevention of fusarial disease, the following treatment methods are used:
- At 1 liter of milk requires 30 g of soap and 35 drops of iodine. The tool is used for spraying before harvesting strawberries.
- garlic clove crushed and pour a liter of water. The infusion is left for a day, then wring out and add water to the bucket. The plant is sprayed in the evening.
- a glass of wood ash diluted in one liter of water. The preparation is infused during the day, after which it is used for sheet processing.
With verticillary wilting, the fungus affects the root collar, rosettes and the vascular system of strawberries. On sandy soils, the plant may die in three days. On loamy type soil, destructive processes proceed more slowly.
The fungus spreads through the root system. When infected, the plant settles, and its leaves fall. The number of leaves of strawberry decreases, and the bush practically does not develop. At the end of the growing season, the stalks turn red.Tip! To prevent verticillous help the destruction of weeds and respect for crop rotation.
The causative agent of the disease can remain in the ground for several years. For the prevention of verticillary wilting, planting is watered with an infusion of wood ash, which will also help protect strawberries from pests. Be sure to feed plants with potassium and phosphorus.
Phytophthora rot causes the greatest damage to the strawberry crop. When it spreads on the ovaries and fruits, dark spots are formed, the flesh acquires a bitter taste. With further infection dry leaves and stems.Important! Late blight develops with increased humidity caused by rains or improper irrigation.
Avoid the spread of the disease will help the selection of a solar site for planting, arrangement of drip irrigation and timely trimming of bushes. Additionally, strawberries are treated with infusion of garlic or onions.
Anthracnose affects all the organs of strawberries. On the top of the petioles brown ulcers appear that gradually turn black. As a result, the strawberry dries. Black spots also occur on flowers and berries.Important! Anthracnose pathogen prefers soils with excess nitrogen and high humidity.
To prevent the development of the disease, you need to use quality seedlings. Before planting, the soil and the seedlings are processed. For the treatment of folk remedies used iodine or garlic solution.
The following measures will help to avoid the spread of strawberry diseases:
- choose for planting places where legumes, carrots, onions, garlic, beets, rye, oats were previously grown;
- do not use the beds for strawberries where tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, potatoes, cabbage, cucumbers were grown;
- process seedlings before final planting;
- every 3 years to change the place of landing;
- choose healthy seedlings from reliable suppliers;
- disinfect the soil;
- make potash and phosphate fertilizers;
- use nitrogen-containing substances in a limited amount;
- fight pests that spread diseases;
- care for plantings, remove old leaves, stems, and mustache.
The cause of most diseases of strawberries is a fungus that develops with inadequate care of the plants. Folk remedies are aimed at the destruction of lesions, however, are suitable for the prevention of the spread of fungus. Such methods have high efficiency and do not require large expenditures.